Is it illegal to have a property listed for rent and for sale by two different real estate agents?

Asked by Samsam, Bronx, NY Thu Apr 11, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mildred Valentin’s answer
Mildred Vale…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Follow up with the agent, Usually one might have the Sale and the other the rental. Its not illegal.But it will look better coming from the same Brokerage or agent. Do some research!

Best Of Luck!

Millie Valentin

Exit Realty Search
3928 E. Tremont Ave
Bronx, NY 10465
Web Reference:
0 votes
Javier Menes…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Melville, NY
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Not at all. It might however commit you to paying more than one broker. I would be careful, at the end of the day you generally don't achieve much by hiring more than one broker to sell your property.

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
NMLS #23130
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
(516) 606-9648
0 votes
David Lewis , Agent, New York, NY
Sat Jul 6, 2013
It all depends on your listing contract and your salesperson should have explained it in full.

1. Exclusive right to sell
2. Exclusive agency
3 Open listing

Each one is different

if you have any question about listing agreements call me.

David Lewis

Franklin Grant Properties,LLC
40 Wall st
New York, NY 10005
0 votes
Antonio Sanc…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Fri Jul 5, 2013

You will need to look back at your contract, if your agent stated that he would also be compensated for the sale and rental of your home than yes but if he only indicated about the sale then in this case it is not the case. Since it is a sensitive matter, seeing that your home is listed for sale your best option is to refer back to your agent since they should also be able to assist you with the rental side of your home.

Antonio Sanchez
Exit Realty Search
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
3928 E. Tremont Avenue
CELL: 347-320-0673
FAX:    347-202-4966

0 votes
The Lajara S…, Agent, Riverdale, NY
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Hey Sam,

Usually its always done through the same brokerage so discuss with both agents and get their agreement on it so you're well protected. Good luck!

John Lajara
REALTOR®/Notary Public
Certified Buyer Representative® (CBR)
Certified Distressed Property Expert® (CDPE) "Saving families from foreclosure"
Cell: 917-848-4655
Fax: 917-522-9638
E-mail Address:
EXIT REALTY SEARCH | 3928 E. Tremont Ave | Bronx | NY | 10465

Like me on Facebook for lifestyle info in the highly desirable Throgs Neck (Bronx, NY)

Visit me on Trulia & Zillow!
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Depends, are all parties in agreement....also keep in mind that scams do exist, see link for scam related information
0 votes
Primford Hom…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Hello Samsam,

Feel free to give me a call so that I can get more information
and be better able to answer your question.

Angie Primus Gilford
Primford Homes
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more