Cynthia Mert…, Both Buyer and Seller in San Diego, CA

Is it better to list now or after home improvements are complete with the Quieter Home Program?

Asked by Cynthia Mertes, San Diego, CA Sun Oct 21, 2012

My home has been approved and will be upgraded per the terms of the program, sometime in 2014. My intent is to list my home upon the completion of the upgrades. (I owe approx. $480K)

Hi Cynthia,

Having the improvements done so a buyer can understand the difference may be helpful. But, inventory is really low right now, with buyers waiting for good homes, so you might save the money and sell sooner. It depends on your neighborhood's market activity and values. Let me know if I can help.

Warm Regards,

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
Lic # 01443391
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
Hi Cynthia,

Some buyers love to see everything done when shopping for a home, however, others like to choose some upgrades themselves (i.e.; light granite counters instead of dark granite on counters or hardwood floors in bedrooms or carpet? ) .

If your upgrades with the Quieter Home Program are strictly window and door upgrades but the rest of the home is intact, then I recommend get the home on the market now so the buyers can see how beautiful your home is now BUT....only if you have at least one room with the upgraded windows so you can show the difference it will make once all the windows are improved.

Good luck and call if I can help in anyway:)
Robin P Fournier
858-869-5110 cell/text
Hi Cynthis,
A seller should always complete improvements, repairs and upgrades prior to selling their home. In this way you, the seller put yourself in the strongest position to be in control of the process. Without the repairs your positioned is substantially weakened and buyers will either balk at submitting an offer or submit offers that are below asking price.
Be in control, as much as possible, and properly prepare your home.
The Quieter Home Program will help you reduce the noise issues from the airport and I think this is very important. Many buyers will not consider homes located near freeways or areas that are noisy.
You will increase your buyer market simply by making the improvements.
Best to you
Janet McCarthy
Professional Realtor
Connect Realty
The answer will depend somewhat on the buyer. Since the improvements will be done at no cost to the homeowner, whoever it may be at that time, it shouldn't make too much difference if you sell now or after the work is completed. However, there may be some buyers who are bothered by the noise, particularly if they are from out of area and not accustomed to it. Or they may not want to be inconvenienced by the work. Inventory is rather low in your area right now so most people would probably be happy just to know the property is approved and the upgrades are coming with no money out of pocket to a potential buyer. Please feel free to contact me to discuss this in more detail.

Jill Miranda
CA DRE #01413899
Pacific Sotheby's International Realty
This is a both a great time to buy and sell. I suggest listing with me, pricing the home to sell with the upgrades included into the price and looking for a potential bargain this way you win selling high and buying low, but you need the right agent to do that.

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
(619) 954-2225
efax (619) 270-2516
Hi Cynthia,

If your intent is to do the improvements and sell afterwards, then stick to that plan. If your home has traffic noise or other noise (airport, etc.), then what you are doing could make your home an easier sell.

Here is what we will not know two years from now:
1. The number of homes for sale
2. The interest rates available to buyers
3. The restrictions regarding the availability of home loans

That withstanding, you can contact us if you would like to discuss as our company is familiar with the new home improvement programs and how they effect value and your ability to sell.

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
National Association of Realtors
CA DRE License 01713506
Hi Cynthia,
It is my understanding that the Quieter Home Program helps reduce the noise factor within the home. Although this is a wonderful attraction to a potential home owner it may only add a slight increase to the value of your home. An appraisal is based on the current market activity of sold homes in your area. Unless other home values have been effected by this type of upgrade and adjustments were made to the appraisal for this I am not sure if it will be in your best interest for you to wait until 2014 to sell your home. Depending on what your incentive is to sell it is a good time to sell now as the inventory is very low and a lot of buyers would prefer a traditional sale over a short sale or bank owned property. If I can be of any assistance to you please feel free to give me a call. I hope this helped.

Chris Boudreau, GRI, ABR, SFR
Certified Foreclosure and Short Sale Specialist Diego Key

Cell: (858) 736-5393

License # 01273956
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
Hello Cynthia,

Depending if you will make more profit selling the property now or when the construction is complete. Do you know the property value now? Do you know what the property value will be after completion with the Quieter Home Program I can do a free market analysis on your property. Just like an appraiser will do, which can cost 400- 600 dollars. I will let you know what your property is worth now, and what it will be worth after the construction completion, I will need to know what type of upgrades you will have and furthermore. Feel free to contact me.

Michael Alex
Real Estate Consultant
“The Trustworthy Choice in Real Estate”
cell. 619.581.9348 | fax. 619.269.7263
Pacific Sotheby's International Realty
San Diego,CA