Bob Cuozzo,  in North Reading, MA

Is it better to list a home in the Spring or to list now.?

Asked by Bob Cuozzo, North Reading, MA Mon Dec 20, 2010

Answers

18
Bob,
Spring forward fall back. I remember that when i adjust my watch each year. An old realtor thought me that when I was late for a listing appointment.. How not to overcook my eggs is just an other wise advise I follow. I draw all my real estate knowledge from these two conclusions
The best time to insert an egg is when the water is boiling.. It will not cook unless you turned on the range.
Listings are just like a pot filled with water awaiting the range to make the water heat up and come to boil.
It takes time. It takes longer they say if you watch the pot come to boil. Timing is everything I get my eggs and listings hatch each time. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. Now the real question are you a bird or a mouse?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 7, 2011
Good question - and one that cuts to the core of confusion of when the Spring Market begins. In my opinion, it begins to bubble immediately after the holidays. Activity on my listings is picking up - and I am hearing the same from other agents. So the buyers are shaking off their holiday fog and refocusing on available inventory, many anxious for it to be replenished. I think this creates an opportunity for sellers that are ready because buyer interest exceeds new inventory. I see this as a leg up for the inventory that is hitting now - more attention and less competition than they may see later in the Spring market.

Jeannne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 7, 2011
If the house is ready to sell, it's time to put it on the market.

I would say if it's right at Christmas time maybe wait a week until the beginning of the new year but I think waiting for just right time to put something on the market might mean the right time won't come.

Do what needs to be done about making the property most marketable, price it right and expose it to as many people as possible.

Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 7, 2011
The spring market has sprung, whether its interest rates, mild winter weather or great prices out there my phone is ringing with requests for showings. My advice is list NOW when competition is light but come on strong. Stage your home then price it attractively and then pick an agent with a proven track record and strong marketing presence. That will get you the most showings and a possible offer within the first month. It DOES still happen, one recent deal brought in 4 offers in a week because we staged, we priced slightly under value and we had a great marketing plan!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 7, 2011
If you are looking to price it well and sell quickly, list now - less competition and more serious buyers. However, generally there are more people looking in the spring so if you were willing to wait it out, it's possible that you could get a little more for the house. But take into consideration those months of mortgage payments that will have to be made while you wait to sell!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 23, 2010
Bob,
Based on my market area and my significant increase in business during this period, I would say now! There is much less inventory and serious buyers looking right now. Spring has been historically the best time but not in this market! It is pretty much evolving each mont!
Web Reference: http://www.FrankDolski.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 21, 2010
The consensus among many housing economists is that the banks will be releasing more of the pent-up shadow forclosure inventory in the Spring driving housing prices down further to new lows in the second quarter of 2011. It makes more sense to put homes on the market now on the idea they will have less competition today and probably sell for more than in the Spring.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
Everyday is always the best time to put your home on the market. If you wait until the spring, what will happen, is that your house will be part of the big inventory because everyones perception is, Spring is the time to put my house on the market. If you put it on now, guess what, not to much inventory and it if is price right, it will go, no matter what time of the year it is.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
This really depends on your area. Here in Oregon, this is a very dark time of year, so if a person can wait, I would aim for Feb. 1. At that point, there is more light, some glimmer of color in little bulbs popping up and people are recovered from the holidays. However, if you really need to get going, there is a lot less competition right now, and new listings pop on Realtors radar! Whatever you decide to do, make sure you have done everything you can to clean up and streamline your possessions in your house, and the front appearance is A+! Goog luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
A fairly common trulia question......

Don't know of too many transactions that happen when a home isn't "for sale". There may be a decrease in activity during the holidays or winter months but a truly motivated buyer's needs are consistant. Our advice is to list now...you never know.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
It depends on the area, the amount of houses up for sale compared to the amount of people looking to buy, etc. How bad does the seller need to sell? So Bob, its not an easy question to answer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
It depends a little on the area, the type of home, the size and price range....
And the weather conditions in the area in general in the winter.

During the winter months there is usually less competition, less competing homes and the serious buyers
will be looking throughout the winter.... In Spring there will be more competing homes in most areas, and
it might be harder to have an individual home stick out....

But it is hard to tell, as every area is a bit different when it comes to activities, although they seem to go down
in wintery weather and during the holiday season, just because everyone is very busy, buyers, sellers and Realtors as well!

Edith YourRealtor4Life and Chicago and Northern Illinois Connection
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
Hello Bob,
My area of expertise is on Cape Cod. Because the cape is somewhat of a resort area there are many people "looking" in the spring and summer months. However, the serious buyers are waiting to make their purchases when their children are back in school and their vacations are over. In this area October and February are great months for purchases.
Sharon Lucido
508-294-5630
Web Reference: http://www.bournetosell.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
January 2nd is the spring market. Least inventory highest demand.
Web Reference: http://www.LouisWolfson.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
I still have activity on my properties. I would set it for January though.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
It really depends on the Sellers needs
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
Hello Bob,
It depends upon the seller's situation on how quickly they need to move but I would think that if you wait to list until the spring then there will be more competition on the market. There may be less choices of homes within the price range now rather than later.
I hope this is helpful.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 20, 2010
Seems like I just answered this one... I'll give you the short version...

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. If it is not on the market, you are guaranteed to no sell it. Many folks "Wait until the First Of the Year" before they start hunting... Once the holidays are gone.. and tax returns are on their way... folks are alive and shopping...

Don't miss buyers... put the home on the market asap... Time to roll up the sleeves and get to work.