Is garage conversion when house is smaller than comps worthwhile?

Asked by Subha, Cupertino, CA Thu Oct 29, 2009

Neighborhood standard square footage is around 1300 sq ft, but my house is only 1032 sq ft even though it has standard 3 bed/2bath. 50% of houses in neighborhood have garage converted to family room. In this scenario, is it worthwhile to get the garage converted with permit and add to the square footage of the house?I would also like to add that I am trying to sell our house and several interested buyers have expressed concern over the smaller square footage.

Answers

4
Jeff Tung, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Thu Oct 29, 2009
Hi Subha,

I agree with Vicki and Carl. Not everybody needs more space. The home will attract somebody.
Web Reference:  http://www.jefftung.net
Ramiro Mejia, , Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Thu Oct 29, 2009
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS ADD UP ALL THE COSTS OF CONVERSION INCLUDING LABOR,MATERIALS,PERMITS AND NEW TAXES IF THERE IS A HUGE GAP TO YOUR ADV ANTAGE BETWEEN THE NEW PRICE MINUS COSTS OF IMPROVEMENTS VS THE PRICE YOU WOULD GET FOR YOUR SQUARE FOOTAGE. KEEP IN MIND THAT UNLESS YOU PAY CASH FOR THE UPGRADES YOU MAUST TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION FEES TO BORROW THE MONEY INCLUDING PAYMENTS
Vicki Moore, Agent, San Carlos, CA
Thu Oct 29, 2009
I'm not familiar with your neighborhood but on the face of it, I agree with Carl. I've sold houses where the garage was a room - all people wanted to know was if/how they could turn it back into a garage.

If your property is priced right, staged and the condition is good it will sell regardless of the smaller than average square footage.

Having said all that - I'm assuming you have a realtor helping you - I would absolutely defer to their recommendation.
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu Oct 29, 2009
Subha:

Personal opinion - they will express more concern about no garage than they will about the small square footage.