Is anyone buying fixer-uppers anymore? Husband is disabled, house needs work and I can't do it. Would like to sell.?

Asked by Kathy G, Bayside, Queens, NY Sat Oct 2, 2010

Does it matter that property is large for 11364?

Answers

21
Jason Baez, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Wed Jan 19, 2011
A dog house will sell at the right price! Get a good local agent and go for it. Good luck.
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Jeannie back to thank Scott for sharing that NYTimes article - very helpful! Thumbs up to you my friend.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Scott Miller, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Hi again, Kathy. I saw this article in the NYTimes just now, came in this morning. Although the prices are a little high to imagine, not your average across the board, just take a quick read and see how buyers are actually shopping for houses with their contractor in tow.

Very interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/realestate/03wczo.html?_r=…

GOOD LUCK.

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
Diallo J. St…, Agent, Jackson Heights, NY
Fri Feb 4, 2011
Yikes Kathy! Or as Steve Irwin would have said "Crikey!" I wish I saw your question sooner! Yes, fixer-uppers sell and are in high demand. But like everything else, the right price, marketing, and guidance are absolutely critical - now more than ever!

There may be other considerations that may not be so obvious.

I'd love to discuss further. Feel free to contact me directly - 718-446-1300 x.309
Web Reference:  http://www.DialloStevens.com
Allen Bauman, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Jan 19, 2011
Kathy G

I offered my services to you back in October but never heard from you. Are you still interested in selling your home. I have investors that are still buying properties in any condition.

Allen Bauman
Century21 Yve R.E.
Licensed R.E. Agent
NYS Certified Residential Appraiser
516-791-3846
allen.bauman@gmail.com
Larry Avroch, Agent, Bayside, NY
Wed Jan 19, 2011
Hi Kathy,

Sorry to hear about your husband. I can relate as my wife is disabled as well. I own Best Seller Realty for the past 26 yrs. which is also located in zip code 11364. Any house will sell regardless of its condition if it is priced right. Many of the buyers I work with are either contractors or buyers that would prefer a fixer-upper and can then renovate to their tastes. For daily real estate info for the Bayside area you can go to my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/there4you.
Julia Xelas, , Queens, NY
Mon Oct 4, 2010
Hi Kathy:

Everyone is correct - there are a lot of people looking for fixer-uppers. We listed a home that needed over $100,000 in repairs but since it was priced right the house is now in contract and we never showed the inside. I'd be happy to provide a free market analysis and tell you how we accomplished it. My info is below:

Julia Xelas
Station Realty of Douglaston
646.529.0979
julia@stationrealty.com
Web Reference:  http://www.stationrealty.com
Allen Bauman, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Oct 4, 2010
Hi Kathy
I am sorry to hear that you are unable to carry your house any longer. I would like to be of help. There are many services I can offer you. I am a NYS Certified Residential Appraiser. I am able to tell you what your house is worth in it's present condition. I am also a real estate agent. As an agent I can advise you on the best way to sell your home. I also represent investors looking to purchase homes that need work. They buy homes in all price ranges and all neighborhoods. Additionally I may be able to help you figure out a plan that allows you to keep your home. My contact information is below. Call me so that we can meet and discuss your options. If I am not in just leave a message and I will get back to you.

Allen Bauman
Century21 Yve Real Estate
Licensed R. E. Agent
NYS Certified Residential Appraiser
516-791-3846
allen.bauman@gmail.com
Gita Bantwal, Agent, Jamison, PA
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Kathy, There are buyers willing to do work if the home is priced right. Every one is looking for a great deal.
Web Reference:  http://www.gitabantwal.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Yes, people do buy fixer-uppers--however, it needs to be priced accordingly--if looking to sell, consider interviewing as many agents as needed, choose the agent you like best and who has the most to offer-- do ask for comps--recently sold similar properties in the immediate area--review the data an make a determination on price--also keep in mind that besides pricing, marketing that maximizes your exposure is paramount in today's market. If you need assistance, feel free to contact me directly, abrocco@laffey.com
Therese L Ko…, Agent, Bayside NY 11361, NY
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Hi Kathy G, There are many buyers looking for fixer uppers. Condition is not going to be the issue-it will be the pricing. Depending on the location? how big the property? what is the zoning on your property-and can it be divided for a builder?? The bigger the property and the higher the zoning the more money you should get. We are currently marketing a property on 64 & 213th Street that is 50x60 zoned R2 in 11364 that needs alot of work-asking price $599K . Available to discuss your particulars at your convenience Terry K 718-614-3167 cell or email me Therese.Korahais@elliman.com
Elizabeth Ca…, Home Buyer, Queens, NY
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Kathy,
I have buyers looking for fixer-uppers. Not just cosmetics. But homes that actually need major improvements. Buyers like to buy a home in original condition and make it THEIR own.
I am curently conducting Open Houses where the Seller put additons on their homes and designed the home to their LIKING and I am having a VERY difficult time selling it.

Your answer is: YES

Best of luck,
Elizabeth Caruso
917-662-1846
James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Sun Oct 3, 2010
Kathy buyers will purchase a home if it needs cosmetics and updating if the price is right. For investors to purchase the property most that I deal with are picking up lender owned properties when the price is right. The formula that they use to purchse is like this. They determine the 90 sale price for the property. They then take off the estimates for upgrades and repairs to make the home desirable. They the take off another 30% to cover holding costs, over runs on estimates, marketing costs, and a little left over for profit which lets them stay in business.
Craig Brezina, , Naples, FL
Sat Oct 2, 2010
Any real estate is going to sell if it is priced and marketed correctly. Hire a good local agent and your property will get sold.
Kevin Olson,…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Sat Oct 2, 2010
Kathy

Fixer-uppers are still a very popular buy, especially if the price is reasonable/right! Make sure you use a local agent who knows how to sell fixer-uppers. They don't necessarily have to specialize in it, but have exerience with it. These types of homes are often better off being marketed in different segments than homes in average-good condition. Best of luck to you
Web Reference:  http://www.liveinsprings.com
Fajardo Dela…, Agent, Flushing, NY
Sat Oct 2, 2010
Kathy
I would be happy to help in give my ideas on how to get the
most and fair martket value for your handy man special.
Request For A Free Home Evaluation Today.
Fajardo Delacruz
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Century Homes Realty Group LLC
Direct Line: 347-932-0609
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sat Oct 2, 2010
Kathy, I would be happy to consult with you - no charge - to give you an idea of what you can realistically expect for your property, what would be involved, the process and what would be expected of you.

Feel free to contact me at 631-425-6150 or Gail@GailGladstone.com to get it started.
Web Reference:  http://GailGladstone.com
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Sat Oct 2, 2010
Sure they are - just price it appropriately and you should be in good shape. Get yourself a great agent to represent you and she'll guide you pricing and maximize the exposure - that's what you need, proper pricing and explosive and consistent exposure.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Scott Miller, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Sat Oct 2, 2010
Hi Kathy. The answer is YES, people buy fixer-uppers all the time. There are lots of buyers that love the challenge of tearing a house apart and remodeling it to their taste.

It does not matter that it's large, the bigger the better!

Why not find a REALTOR here to list it for you to sell?

GOOD LUCK!!

Trevolyn Hai…, Agent, Highland, CA
Sat Oct 2, 2010
Hello again,
I forgot to respond to the second question:
No it doesn't matter that the property is large- Bigger is usually Better!
Have a great day!
Trevolyn
Trevolyn Hai…, Agent, Highland, CA
Sat Oct 2, 2010
Hello Kathy!
The answer is an emphatic 'YES!'.
As a matter of fact, I bet you get a few offers from this site before the week end is out.
Before you accept any offers, please protect your interests & speak to a couple of REALTORS.
Even if you do not hire one to help with the transaction, they will be more than happy to give you a cma (comparative market analysis) to give you an idea of what your property is worth (try & get a couple because coming up with a price is more art than science).
Also, if you wish to stay in your home but are financially incapable of fixing it, there are many non-profit groups & government programs available to you.
Best of luck,
Trevolyn