Home Selling in Menlo Park>Question Details

Yiannid, Home Buyer in 07732

Is a summer rental property on a highway a good investment?

Asked by Yiannid, 07732 Tue Sep 4, 2012

I'm trying to decide between 2 investment properties in New  Jersey which I would like to use as summer rentals.

One property is a single family located in Highlands NJ and is  on a major highway (route 36).  It is 1 mile from the beach but its on a hill and had some views of the town, the bay, and the ocean. It is also a couple houses from where I live. 

Property 2 is located in Asbury Park. It is 4 blocks from the boardwalk and 2 units. It had no views but in an ice area. 

Both properties are resonably priced. I would like to go after the property in highlands because of the views and because it's close to where I live but the fact that it's on the highway concerns me.  Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Glen Mitchell’s answer
which one makes more money? which one will cost more in repairs and or time? which one will you most likely get repeat visitors too? highway noise issues may be important, but there are probably bigger factors that you should be looking at in terms of purchase. For example if the property on the highway makes twice as much but costs the same, who cares about the noise :)