Tray, Both Buyer and Seller in 33950

In selling a home in FL, what are the pros and cons of having a transaction only agent vs a sellor's agent? I

Asked by Tray, 33950 Fri Jul 25, 2008

am familiar with agents who advertise as being a buyer's agent, but do not see sellor's agents. If I want a sellor's agent for property in Punta Gorda Isles, who should I contact?

Answers

11
Laura E. McG…, Agent, Bradenton, FL
Sat Jul 26, 2008
Hi Tray... Now that it's been narrowed down... how "aggressive" a Realtor is in selling your property has nothing to do with how they represent you ... It has to do with how they conduct themselves in their business. A "Transaction Broker" has the added of advantage of being able to promote your listing within their office, and not just to other companies. There is more required of a "Transaction Broker" than has been mentioned in replies.

Whether a Realtor is 'new' to the business or experienced, a good Realtor will show you upfront what you should expect in the marketing of your property and the services provided by him/her and the Brokerage they are with. If you would like a no-cost referral for your property to have a professional best suited to your needs, then please contact me! And best wishes with your endeavor!

Laura E. McGeary, PA
941-704-3708 Direct!
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate LLC
6016 Manatee Ave W., Bradenton FL 34209
laura.mcgeary@floridamoves.com
Myke Atwater, Agent, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Sat Jul 26, 2008
A transaction broker agency gives you the most opportunity for getting your home sold, because they are free to discuss your property with other agents in their office--important especially if they are part of a larger office. The transaction brokerage has NOTHING to do with marketing of your property. A good realtor will make sure that you have a good marketing plan in place to "get the word out" regarding the qualities and availability of your home. A good marketing plan would include a quality yard sign, quality brochures, huge internet presence (since 86% of all real estate searches start on the internet), and good communication skills with buyers as well as you. They should be able to demonstrate to you their plan for staying in touch with you to keep you informed as to the progress of this plan, and they should be able to demonstrate to you that they have quick response ability to any potential buyer who might be shopping for a home such as yours. You have begun the right approach by indicating here on Trulia that you are internet savvy--use your internet skills to check out what we as agents are presenting right here--are listings branded with addresses and photographs, and check out various real estate sites to see what properties are being marketed aggressively with lots of bells and whistles!! If I can be of further assistance, do no hesitate to contact me!!
Web Reference:  http://www.MykeTriebold.com
Shonda Campa…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Fri Jul 25, 2008
When you enter into a business relationship with an agent it is referred to as agency. There are basically two types of agency.

*Single Agency-If you enter into a single agency relationship, the broker or brokerage firm and all of its employees become your agent. A single agent owes you the following duties:

Dealing honestly and fairly
Loyalty
Confidentiality
Obedience
Full disclosure
Accounting for all funds
Timely presentation of all real estate offers
Skill, care, and diligence in the transaction
Disclosing all relevant information regarding the condition of the residential property

*Transaction Brokerage- If you enter into a transaction brokerage relationship, the broker or brokerage firm and all the employees

Does Not represent you as your own agent
Owes you only limited confidentiality
Provides you only a limited form of representation
May also provide a limited form of representation to the other party in the transaction
Owes you fewer duties than a single agent

At Prudential Network Realty we work under a single agency. There are not too many companies out there that can offer this. If you have a Prudential where you are, I strongly recommend you interview one of their agents. Our marketing tools are at the top and our Internet presence in amazing. I suggest you interview them first and let them be the measuring stick to compare their services against the rest. You will be amazed!
Vicky Chrisn…, , 20176
Fri Jul 25, 2008
We don't use the term transaction agent, but my assistant is formerly from Florida, so I will ask her some questions and see if I can provide more insight. Having said that, it seems like what you are describing is one of dual representation - that is where the services are limited. Maybe a best way to do this is to work with a team that has designated buyer and seller agents. Is that attractive to you? Although it may be within the same team, the specific people(agents) would be different.

Personally, I think dual representation is the thing law suits are made of , and to date I have never participated in that. I do, however, work with both buyers and sellers - but usually on different transactions.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Fri Jul 25, 2008
I have found that not all personalities blend for either a buyers / seller agent. We dont take all clients. I would recommend locate an agent who sees your vision. HOWEVER keep in mind lending posed many issues for buyers. We field calls / emails that the selling agent is not bring in clients. I am a realtor and a loan officer we turn away approx. 50 clients per week who call from the signs, advertisements who cant purchase property. I would ask how they intend to promote your property. Agents have a tendency post in MLS only, vs. other office aggressively market our listing.
http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
Bruce McKinn…, Agent, Mukilteo, WA
Fri Jul 25, 2008
Hello Tray: Seller’s vs buyers (listing) agents is the essence of your question apparently.

All agents are licensed to buy and sell homes and most (90%) do, rather then confine them selves to one or the other. Maybe a better or more accurate way to respond to your question is based on experience or expertise. How do you attempt to pick a real estate agent. While I am a Washington State agent, I am prejudice about who to pick from the get go. First, pick a Realtor. Close to 45% of the real estate agents are not Realtors. Realtors must subscribe to a Code of Ethics and must be paid members of the US, State and County Association of Realtors. Start there.

Then, go for expertise. Play the odds. Find an agent with real estate credentials. Credentials = education. In theory, the better educated one is the better they can represent your interests. It is sort of like picking a physician for a difficult medical problem. Find one that is board certified and fellowship trained in a specialty field. Is the agent also licensed as a Broker? The CRS (Certified Residential Specialist) and GRI (Graduate, Realtor Institute) are also serious real estate educational commitments that can help define the difference in agent expertise. You will often find an indication on the agents advertising or card that they have these credentials. You can call a local real estate office and ask for someone with those credentials.

Big Producer? Might be good or bad. Some of the biggest producers never have time to answer your on-going questions. But, using an inexperienced agent can have much bigger drawbacks. Error on the side of experience.

Then, it is a matter of bonding. Finding someone you can work with comfortably.

Follow these guidelines and you will have your answer.
Fernando Pet…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Mon Oct 22, 2012
Dear Tray,
I am a listing agent with Keller Williams and I work PGI.
The benefits of having a seller's agent representing you on the transaction are that you might net more for your home at closing, an easier transaction from listing to closing and better chances of having your home sold.
If you are still searching for an agent, I would like to be your seller's agent. Please call me at (941) 275 9111 for a confidential FREE seller's consultation or visit me at http://www.wesellislands.com
Web Reference:  http://www.wesellislands.com
Shannon Moore…, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Sun Aug 3, 2008
Hi Tray,

I looks like the term transaction agent has already been explained, so I won't go over that again. I just wanted to offer my assistance to you. If you have not already found a Realtor to represent you we would love to chat. Please visit our website listed below for more information on our team.

Good luck with the sale of your home!

Shannon Moore, Realtor
Re/Max Anchor Realty
941-626-3926
twomoores19@comcast.net
Betsie Taber, Agent, Lakewood Ranch, FL
Wed Jul 30, 2008
Hi Tray,

When I first took my licensing course, I learned about the different types of representation that theoretically exist. Then when I went into "practice", I noticed that many agents are indeed very confused about the differences between the different types of representation and that the majority of agents does not adhere strictly to the duties and responsibilities associated with those roles. A buyer's agent is limited in his/her actions and sometimes has to transit to a transaction role in order to avoid conflict of interests, among other things.

As mentioned many times throughout the various posts, get yourself an agent who is reliable, hard working, who has a marketing plan and who will communicate with you on a regular basis. That person's goal should be to help you sell your property for the most money, in the shortest time and with the minimum amount of hassle. I suggest that you go to a few open houses and observe a few realtors. Don't tell them you have a house to sell. Just see how comfortable you are with them and how good they are at asking great questions. The way they act at that open house will be very similar to the way that they will act if that open house was yours. Good luck.
Ken and Karen…, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Sun Jul 27, 2008
Hello, Tray -

"Transaction Broker" is more a legal term concerned with potential liability issues than it is indicative of the services a brokerage firm and its associates may or are able to offer to their customers. In fact, service offerings may vary among associates within the same brokerage firm; associates are "independent contractors" who place their licenses with a brokerage firm - they are not employees.

We invite you to visit our website to review the statistics we provide regarding our market in Punta Gorda Isles and, hopefully, to determine that our "personalities" are compatible. The most important element in your relationship with any Realtor® will be the level of trust you are comfortable placing in them. The agency and service level issues will take care of themselves if the relationship is truly mutually beneficial.

Ken Rolland
Web Reference:  http://www.KRolland.info
Tray, Both Buyer And Seller, 33950
Fri Jul 25, 2008
To Bruce W. McKinnon
Thanks for the rapid response. I have gone thorough steps along the lines you suggest, but the issue is perhaps a subtle one and related to FL law.

To Everyone, some further clarification of the question: Even if I have chosen the best Realtor around, they all want to be a "Transaction Broker" which enables them to handle both the buyer and the seller in a transaction -- obviously because they hope to bring the buyer. But, as a transaction broker there are limitations on their relationship with me the seller. There is a common form of relationship called 'Buyers agent' which some agents espouse as having advantages to the buyer (and of course, these agents don't have the headaches of dealing with sellers because they don't have any listings!). My question boils down to: Are there 'seller agents" who only handle the task of selling a residential property and who would have some corresponding benefit to me as a seller?

Any broker is happy to take my listting with a "transaction broker" contract, stick it on the MLS and just sit back and wait. I want someone who will be aggressive at selling, and I think that that may be precluded by the "transaction broker" contract , but perhaps would be facilitated by some other type of contract. Is that correct? or should I just go with the transaction broker arrangement because that is the only arrangement any broker seems to want?