If three siblings inherit a house and land from their parents and two of the siblings want to sell but the

Asked by Donna, Texas Mon Jul 14, 2008

third sibling wants to keep the property, can he not sell?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Sharon Green, , Redding, CA
Thu Oct 9, 2008
You will need to consult an attorney to discuss your options. Real Estate laws vary from state to state. Is it possible for the sibling who wants to keep the property to buy out the other two? That would be the best and fairest solution. But check with your attorney.

Sharon Green
Coldwell Banker C & C Properties
Redding, CA
0 votes
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Oct 9, 2008
Is the will silent on the matter of selling the property and splitting the proceeds? If so, you might need to seek voluntary agreement on the part of the other siblings, or consult an attorney to review your options. The executor may be able to make final decisions. If those decisions are unacceptable to you, it’s back to an attorney consult.

Instructions in the will on this matter would make this easier to resolve without discord among the siblings.

Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group - New Jersey
0 votes
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Oct 9, 2008
Your best bet is to have representation to ensure the sale goes smoothly. you should contact a R.E. Lawyer like The Fowler Law Firm LLC. You can reach them at 512-441-1411. I wish you the best of luck!
Betina Foreman, Realtor Austin Texas
Web Reference:  http://www.BetinaForeman.com
0 votes
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Has the will been probated? Is there an independant executor for the will? That person needs to follow the instructions in the will or make an independent decision. Could be need to sell the property to divide the interests if two want the money and one wants the property. If there is one that wants it, he/she can offer to buy the other two out. If there was no will, then judge will decide what to do with the property. You may need to discuss with your probate/wills/estate attorney as I am not an attorney and most on this site are not attorneys.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
0 votes
Jefferson Ma…, Agent, Salt Lake City, UT
Mon Jul 14, 2008
It depends how the home is vested and who of the 3 have decision making abilities. Are you in a position to buy the other two out? Have you received an opinion on value? Have you discussed your reasons not to sell and / or have shown the others arguments that waiting would make you all more money? Would you like help in that matter? If so, please contact me. Good luck.

Michelle Koch
Coldwell Banker
Salt Lake City, UT.
0 votes
The Minteer…, Agent, Southlake, TX
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Is a will involved that mentions the property must be sold and split 3 ways? If not, they may be going to court to reach an agreement unless all 3 siblings can reach an agreement out of court. Suggestion: Any agreements made out of court should be in writing and signed by everyone involved.

Hope that helps!

Minteer Team
Web Reference:  http://www.MinteerTeam.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more