If the buyer did the final walk through and found no issues, can he then sue me for items he feels were not

Asked by Christi Hull, Kentucky Sat Nov 24, 2007

fixed on the inspection list? I had reciepts and my husband fixed all the minor things- we closed on the home and now they are complaining of having problems.

Answers

7
Michael Doyle, Agent, Brooklyn Park, MN
Sat Nov 24, 2007
Yes even if you feel it is unfair a buyer can sue a seller if they feel they were cheated. You will have to show that the repairs were done and the home was in working order when you closed. Just because the buyer closed doesn't mean they have no recourse. You should seek legal advice if they do proceed with a lawsuit. Get your Realtor involved and start a dialog with the buyer to resolve the isssues without having to go to court if possible.
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Sun Nov 25, 2007
It is unfortunate this is happening. Almost anyone can sue another person even if it is not a valid claim. I would suggest having your Realtor give them copies of all the receipts for the repairs your completed to see if this helps. If not ask them what they expect from you. Also, was their a home warranty on the property?
Ginger R., Home Seller, Massachusetts
Sun Nov 25, 2007
Anyone can sue you for any reason. That doesn't mean they can win.
I had a buyer who remodeled the house then tried to come after me to pay for it. I was SO stressed about this, I was ready to pay him off. My attorney made it go away. Money well spent.
The Hagley G…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Sat Nov 24, 2007
Unfortunately, folks can sue for just about anything. Depending on the amount of the repairs, you may offer to take care of them and avoid court acion. Talk to your Realtor and have them draw up a document releasing you from all further issues.
Web Reference:  http://www.cindihagley.com
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sat Nov 24, 2007
Christi
Most lawsuits are filed by buyers.
Your Realtor should have had insisted that work be completed by professionals. Once a property is listed, I insist that a licensed, bonded repair be made, then show the receipts to the buyer. The disadvantage to waiting until your home is in escrow to do repairs is that if your husband did them, and for someone reason the buyer is not happy, you open yourself up to questions.

When a professional does the job, that professional is on the hook for the dissatisfaction and needs to correct the work to the buyer's satisfaction.

So part of escrow process is having the buyer request repairs be made, in writing. Did that happen?
When you say "having problems', do the problems relate to the list of repairs?

Did the buyer's agent and buyers do a walkthrough a day or two before closing to review the repairs?
You don't give details on the repairs, but if they were made, then is it the quality of workmanship, or did the repairs not fix the problems?

You may need an attorney. I am not an attorney. I would suggest reviewing your concerns with your Realtor and if necessary the Realtor's broker. Try to resolve it directly first.
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Sat Nov 24, 2007
Yes, it is unfortunate, however it does happen from time to time. You can show receipts for the items you had fixed by a professional, the other items you made repairs on yourself, you will likely have to honor just as you would go back to the professional if the work did not hold up. Were you and or they represented by Realtors? If so, this would be the first place I would start. See if you can come to an agreement with them without going to court. This is the best recourse!
William Fox, , Cary, NC
Mon Oct 27, 2008
Under normal circumstances the closing of the house indicates a transfer of ownership which grants the buyers right of title, equity in the house and the responsibility of the maintenance of the house. A local attorney can advise you on handling any "after closing issues". Attorneys are professionally trained in giving legal advice on real estate law issues, which is what this scenario is.