Betsy M, Home Seller in Boston, MA

I want to sell my condo over the summer - is this a good idea?

Asked by Betsy M, Boston, MA Mon Jul 21, 2008

I currently have renters in a condo in Boston (Jamaica Plain), and I'm thinking of ending their lease on May 31st 2009 and hope tosell the place by September 1. Am I being realistic to be able to sell it that fast? I can afford to price it right, and am hoping that will be to my advantage.

Answers

5
Ron Danklefs, Agent, Jamaica Plain, MA
Tue Jul 1, 2014
Hi Betsy,

If your home is located in Jamaica Plain, selling it in the summer will not be a problem. The mid-summer can be a slower season in surrounding towns, but there is so much pent-up demand in JP that this rule of thumb doesn't really apply here. For twelve years I've been proud to help many sellers and buyers in JP., and would be happy to assist with your sale as well!

Ron Danklefs
Realtor, ABR
Jamaica Hill Realty
rondank2@gmail.com
617.922.3369 c.
http://www.jamaicahillrealty.com
Paul Gioffre, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Nov 28, 2010
Selling a home can be hard work. Pricing it right can be so important. Goog luck!
Web Reference:  http://www.mlsisland.com
John M O'Con…, Agent, Boston, MA
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Hi Betsy,
Jamiaca Plain has been doing very well despite national trends. The following are the numbers for some Boston neighborhoods for the first 6 months. I'd be happy to discuss your plans and give you the best advice possible.

The numbers are in for the 1st half of 2008, making this a good time to review where the market stands to date. First let’s compare the 1st half of 2008 vs. the 1st half of 2007 to determine the year over year trend. Across the 3 downtown neighborhoods, the average sale price increased 2% and the average $ per square foot increased roughly 3%. Average days on market dropped nearly 15%, inventory dropped nearly 2%, and the number of units sold dropped over 8%.

Comparing all of 2007 to the 1st half of 2008, we see an even larger increase in average sale price (nearly 6% due mainly to a big jump in the Back Bay), and a slightly more moderate increase in average $ per sq. ft. (1.5%). The average number of days on market still dropped (-4.5%), but more modestly than the 1st half 2007 vs. 1st half 2008 number (15%).

In summary, either way we look at the numbers, we see a continuation of the trends presented in last quarter’s report. While many parts of the country are suffering from rising inventory, falling prices, and longer sales cycles, we continue to prove the exception to the rule. The market is definitely smaller in terms of number of sales, but otherwise remains remarkably stable. So if you are thinking of buying or even better, selling and trading up, the fall may well be an excellent time to make a move.
Finally, keep in mind that these numbers are averages across the market as whole. As the EPA likes to say: “Your mileage may vary.” So remember that specific location, condition, and property characteristics are critical. As of course, is having an experienced real estate consultant as your driver. So if you or someone you know and care about is ready for my help, let me know!
Cheers!
John O'Connor
617.861.3642
John@BostonCityHomes.com
McCormack Sc…, Agent, Jamaica Plain, MA
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Hello Betsy,

Jamaica Plain is one of the communities with strong activity still. I expect that we will stay pretty strong through the rest of the year. I grew up in this community and have a real estate company here that has not slowed down. Location is a very important aspect of days on market comparisons. In the more demading locations, we are experiencing only a couple of weeks before we receive acceptable offers.

I hope we can connect if you are looking for a local, experienced Realtor.
Karen McCormack, McCormack & Scanlan Real Estate
http://www.JP02130.com
617-306-7804
Web Reference:  http://www.KarenSellsJP.com
Michael Lefe…, Agent, Westborough, MA
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Betsy,
Average marketing time for ALL condos in JP over the last 3 months is 71.06 days (a little over 2 months), so a 3-month window is very realistic. Things may change a year from now, but based on today's stats, your 3-month window is right on. Most importantly you said you "can afford to price it right". That is the key. Regardless of market conditions, a JP condo "priced right" will 9 times out of 10 sell in under 90 days in my opinion.

Hope that helps. Contact me at the link below if you have any other questions.

All My Best,
Mike