Harlemhome, Home Seller in 10039

I want to put my Harlem apartment on the market. But there are 8 other apartments in my building for sale right now. Is now a good time to list?

Asked by Harlemhome, 10039 Sun Aug 22, 2010

From what I can tell only 2 properties sold recently in the 10039 zip code. And I am concerned about sitting on the market for a long time with the other listing in my building to contend with. What is the best strategy in this situation?

Answers

14
Harlemhome....is this an HDFC?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 22, 2010
Hey Harlem Home,

Everyone here has given you the right answer. However, Deborah who was the first to give you an answer hit the nail right on the head. If you put your apartment is on the market while there are 8 other properties already for sale in your building, YOU HAVE THE HARDEST JOB TO GRAB A BUYER'S ATTENTION. So, DECLUTTER, DECLUTTER, DECLUTTER, as you want your apartment to look the best out of all of them. Paint the apartment too. It's a lot of work but you want it sold and this is the way to grab a buyer's attention. As ridiculous as this sounds, "People who are looking to buy, go into properties as though they're shopping at Pottery Barn or West Elm" - this is why "staging" your apartment is a smart way to go. The placement of your decor, cleanliness of your home and the RIGHT PRICE is what grabs a buyer to take the next step. I also advise, if there are open houses going on in your building, check out the competition. See what that owner has done.....or not.

Nick Rafello, V.P.
The Corcoran Group
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 22, 2010
Price and value are your best strategy. Any buyer considering your building will take a look, at least on paper, at all of the offerings. That buyers will physically visit the properties which represent the best value.

Properties sell as a result of price and exposure. If the property is priced competitively, but few buyers know about it, it will suppress your price. If your property is heavily marketed, but overpriced, it will result in selling your neighbor's property, since a buyer will look (at least on paper) at the other available units in the building before making a decision.

A clean, decluttered unit will help you secure a higher price. You can sell if your interior shines less than your neighbor's apartment, but you will need to price lower. That price differential must be enough to provide an incentive. In order to achieve the highest price, clean and stage to sell.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 22, 2010
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ
I would be happy to meet with to give you a proper evaluation of your home and the best way to market it. I do a lot of work in Harlem and know the area like the back of my hand. Please contact me for an appointment at 917-687-2046.

Marketing residential homes has changed tremendously from the traditional way of selling. If your reason for selling have been clarified, find an agent that knows how to target the right audience/ buyers for the potential market and the goal would be established.

When you bought in the building several years ago, what are the reasons why you choose this building against other building in the area?

Upon hearing your thoughts, I would be able to steer you in the right direction

Have a great day!
It depends upon how you think your property compares to the others. If your property is inferior in appearance and amenities, then I would say it is a bad time to put your place on the market. It also depends on your price-point compared to the others on the market at this time. If your property is superior in all or most of these categories, then you will not have to be concerned with other properties as yours will shine above the rest.
Thank you all for your answers this is has been an extremely helpful dialogue. I will be putting the house up for listing.
Putting to listing alone is not the key to sell your house. At this time a sacrifice in pricing and the appearance of your property are really the important things that you can sell you apartment. If you are not a motivated seller and you have competition in the area, then, your house will never be sold. I would just want to ask you if how really you are serious in selling your property. If you are really serious, you must follow the trend in real estate today, you cannot get anymore what you want today than yesterday.

If given a chance to sell your apartment, you may contact me.

Elmar R. Cespon
Cell # 347-458-5866
Century21 Future Homes Realty
Bronx, NY 10469
926
Harlemhome,
I can understand why it might be discouraging to put your apt. on the market when others in the building are for sale. However, there are always buyers and they are always looking for good value. You need the right pricing and the right exposure to make sure you are "the best kid on the block." There are many, many buildings that have multiple units on the market. The market has been gaining traction the last two quarters and transactions are up significantly. What will sell is what is priced most attractively, not what has been sitting longest. And, as mentioned below, to get your place in the best showing condition as possible. I have sold apts. many times when there were several others for sale in the same building. What made the unit listed with me sell first is I am exceptionally responsive to requests for showings, I made sure the apt. always looked great, and we were priced realistically. We sold before the others. It is possible.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
212 381-4268
jlevy@halstead.com
http://jenetlvey.halstead.com
Ensuring that when you find a buyer the deal goes to closing depends on having a good lawyer on the team. I practice only real estate, and don't charge if the deal never happens. Feel free to contact me and I can assist you in the transaction.
Web Reference: http://www.jerryfeeney.com
I sell a lot of properties in the Harlem area. Don't be put off by the number of other units for sale in your building, staging your apartment correctly and using an agent who is actively trying to sell your home will bring you a buyer and a sale. Be flexible in the showing times, show the apartment regularly, price it right. A dedicated agent will work hard for you.
It all about pricing it right. If the numbers all add up you should have no problems.
Fajardo Delacruz
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Century Homes Realty Group llc
Direct Line: 347-932-0609
If your apartment is the best value out of the apartments in your building it will sell. That usually means pricing correctly. If you need help deciding on price and whether to list with a broker, I can offer assistance.

Kind regards,

David Bess
Halstead Property
408 Columbus Avenue NY NY 10024
212.381.2631
dbess@halstead.com
Whether or not you decide to list your home right now is whether or not it's right for you personally. Much depends on ultimate goals in selling. Are you buying up? If so, it's a great time to list because interest rates are low and higher valued properties have probably come down in price where it makes it a good time to sell. Properties sell that are priced according to the current market conditions in your area or your particular building. If it's the best priced unit in the best condition, it will sell. Good luck!

Ralph Windschuh
Certified Buyer Representative
Senior Real Estate Specialist
Associate Broker
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
In The Top 2% of Century 21 Agents Nationwide!