I've recently remodeled a bathroom but I didn't get a permit. I am planning to put my house on the market now will that affect me to sell

Asked by Helen, Manhasset, NY Tue Jan 18, 2011

the house? it wasn't a major renovation, but we opened up a wall, and removed a shower to have more room.

Answers

7
Oleg Volfman, Agent, Rockville Centre, NY
Sun Jan 19, 2014
Hello Helen.

The renovations inside are not monitored by the city/county. Rarely will someone look at your house on the inside for renovations. As long as the number of bedrooms and bathrooms is the same as before, that will not affect you from selling your home.

Please consider my expertise in real estate for selling your home.

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Thank you for your valuable time!

Oleg Volfman, CBR, RSSP
Lic. RE Associate, Office Manager
Quick Deal Realty, Inc
134 Merrick Rd
Lynbrook, NY 11563
Office 516-599-5559
Mobile 917-685-0489
ovolfman@yahoo.com
Public records contain the footage of the home, including how many bathroom or bedrooms the home has.If you add another bathroom or bedroom with out proper permit, then there is going to be discrepancy when the title and mortgage companies for the buyer get involved. But as long the numbers adding up you should be just fine. Good Luck!
Flag Wed Jan 22, 2014
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Jan 18, 2011
Consider a visit to the local building's department and check to see if any necessary permits need to be issued--if a potential buyer is utilizing a mortgage, keep in mind that some lenders may not lend without the necessary permit...
Diane Garnjo…, Agent, Manhasset, NY
Tue Jan 20, 2015
Check with the town or village you are located in.
Nicholas Sfo…, Agent, Great Neck, NY
Sun Jan 19, 2014
Hey Helen,
If there was a bathroom there already and you just remodeled it then you should be fine. If you added a bathroom anywhere in the house, then I would inquire with your local Village, or the Town of North Hempstead because that could be a problem. You legally can't represent it on the listing unless it has its proper CO's
If the bathroom you're referring to is in your basement, then you can't represent it either way, unless you have a CO as well.

Feel free to call if you have any questions or are in need of a Realtor. My email is nicksforzarealty@aol.com. I'm located on top of Louie's on Plandome Road and love selling Manhasset Homes...:-)

Good luck!!
Alan Grizzle, Agent, Dahlonega, GA
Wed Jan 19, 2011
You must disclose this or you could end up in court with the buyer.
Ralph Windsc…, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Wed Jan 19, 2011
Hi Helen: Your local township may indeed require a permit, an inspection, and a C.O. issued for the renovation. I would check with them to find out if it is necessary. However, the issue may not come up during the sale because you didn't add or take away a bathroom and/or didn't change the footprint of the house. Also, if you removed a shower, did it turn a full bath into a half bath? Before putting your house on the market, if you'd like to track the real estate activity in your area, I would be happy to provide you with a Listing Book account. It's free and there's no obligation whatsoever. Please feel free to email me with your home address and email address.

Ralph Windschuh
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
Akop Balayan, Agent, OJai, CA
Tue Jan 18, 2011
Hi Helen,

Theoretically it should affect the sale price of the house, because the buyer should take into consideration the cost in permits that would be required to bring it up to code. However, depending on the area you live in and how common unpermitted renovations are in that area will play a huge factor. In other words if it is a very common occurrence in your area, it probably won't affect the price much, and vice versa if it is uncommon.

Akop
Web Reference:  http://www.vchousehunt.com