I took my house off the market to refresh my listing, however, DOM on CMA report doesn't reflect new DOM. Why?

Asked by Aptlynamed, Jerome, AZ Mon Aug 20, 2007

I'm a seller and recently canceled my listing with my Realtor. Prior to canceling the listing, I had taken the house off the market for a month to refresh the listing. The listing was then put back on the MLS. Almost a month later, I canceled the listing with my Realtor because she was not marketing the house properly. Upon receiving a recent CMA report for my area, I was surprised to see that the DOM shows the entire listing period that my home was on the market rather than only showing the recent DOM relisting period. My understanding was that by removing the listing from the MLS for one month, the DOM clock would be restarted. I see other homes in my area that have been on the market for much longer than mine yet those homes show a shorter DOM period on the CMA report. Can someone explain why my home shows the entire DOM period rather than only showing the DOM after refreshing my listing?

Answers

13
Aptlynamed, , Jerome, AZ
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for your input, Deborah. Your explanation is certainly plausible and makes sense. What I asked my agent to do, when I needed a time-out from showings, was completely remove it from the MLS. I also told her that when I was ready to show again, I wanted to revamp the listing with new photos and text. I provided the new text and images after that one month time-out. I noticed that when she put the home back up on the MLS, the listing had the old MLS number as well as the old photos and text. At the time I took the home off the MLS and then relisted it, I was with the same agent. I'm not with that agent now.
Aptlynamed, , Jerome, AZ
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Hi Paul,
This makes complete sense to me now. Thank you for your insight!
Ruthless, , 60558
Mon Aug 20, 2007
I think Deborah is probably correct but it doesn't have to be the same agent or office if you don't meet the minimum gap time. If you listed on Jan 1 for 6 months and took it off the market after 5 months, the agent still has the listing for another month. Then the MLS is making you wait another month after that. So if you put your house back on the market July 28th instead of August 2nd, that could be your problem. I hate to say it, but it sounds like the sort of problem people have with cell phone companies. If you change one day too soon, they will nick you for an early termination fee and/or put you on the hook for another year.
Good Luck,
Ruth
Web Reference:  http://www.oak-park-il.com
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Are you with the same agent? Unless I was in your marketplace, I can only speculate based upon what happens with the MLSs I work with (6 of them). Is some MLSs if I take a listing off of active status, but it is still within the listing period, it is still considered the listing period. If I reactivate the existing listing, the DOM counter is active from the beginning.

Instead, if I entered a new listing, the system might start the DOM counter over again. Some MLSs have a second category for Cummulative DOM (DCOM) and report the numbers for both.

My best speculation is that your listing was placed inactive and reactivated which kept the counter in place. In some areas this is called "Back on Market" versus a new listing.
Aptlynamed, , Jerome, AZ
Mon Aug 20, 2007
My question is really about why the DOM for my house doesn't reflect the current DOM. As I mentioned, the DOM's for other homes in my area only include the days since relisting. By the way, when I chose to take my house off the market, while I knew that option would refresh the listing, it was for personal reasons. I was unable to show the house during that one month period. I wasn't exploiting the "refresh" option to manipulate buyers.
Paul Slaybau…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Aug 20, 2007
I'll make an inquiry or two to see what I can find out. Do you know which MLS are you listed in?
Aptlynamed, , Jerome, AZ
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for the info Paul. The home is located in Northern Arizona. We may have that same policy here, although the new policy would have to have gone into effect in the last four months. I recently watched a listing in my area drop off for a month and then pop up 30 days later as a new listing. Hmm...
Paul Slaybau…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Aug 20, 2007
It depends on the MLS rules for your area. Here in Phoenix, the rules were changed with the last year or so. There was too much abuse of the system in place. Agents would cancel and relist every 30 days in an attempt to dupe buyers into thinking it was new on the market. It also helped some agents tout "I sell my listings within 30 days!" Now, a listing must be off the market for 90 days, regardless of whether you are with the same agent or not, before the clock rolls back to 0 days. I'm guessing that your area has a similar policy.
Vicki Masell…, Agent, Duluth, GA
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Here in Atlanta, expired and withdrawn listings stay in the database of our local multiple listing services (we have 2 competing systems) for 12 calendar months and can be previewed and researched by agents including the total number of days on market before being withdrawn or the total DOM at the time of expiration. I would check with your most recent listing agent to see what your local MLS practice is relevant to expired and withdrawn listings.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Aptly
This might help you a little bit:
When a listing contract is signed, the property is listed with the agent.
When a listing is WITHDRAWN or placed on HOLD, that means that the listing agreement is still in force and the seller is not supposed to be solicited.
When a listing is CANCELLED, the listing agreement is no longer in effect and agents can contact youl.
When the listing EXPIRES, the Realtors can contact you.

One of the fundamental issues that the Dept. of Justice has with the National Association of Realtors is that there are cases of listings being "churned". A Realtor takes a listing for 30 days, then re-lists it for another 30 days, then another...etc. So a buyer purchases the home, thinking it was only on the market 20 days, and discovers, lo and behold, it was on the market a year. Would the buyer have made a different offer if he and known that fact?

So most Realtor Associations (that own the MLS) have modified their rules regarding DOM reporting. I would suggest discussing your questions with your new Realtor, he or she should know them.

As an aside, when re-listing, re-market also. I don't know your market, however if it is a buyer's market, then make some changes: Offer a buy down program to make your home more attractive financially. Paint the front of the house, re-stage it. Look at other homes with which yours in competing. Have homes like yours sold during the period that your's was listed? What feedback did your Realtor give you from buyers and/or their agents?

Paul Slaybau…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Aptly,
I have not gotten a response from a subscriber to your local MLS yet (I put in a call to a branch that my brokerage has in the area), but Deborah's comment just spurred a thought. If the rules up there are similar to ours down in the Valley, I think your listing might have simply been changed to "Temporarily Off Market" for that month. If your first agent never completed a new listing with you upon returning your house to the market, that is because only the status was changed. Changing a listing from "Active" to "Temporarily Off Market" does not stop the clock. The listing has to be completely terminated. Then the requisite time must pass, and a brand new listing must be completed for the DOM to start over at 0.
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Most MLS boards have caught onto the listing agents who were doing just what you did, for the same reasons and now have the category DOM/CDOM (for continuous days on market). My MLS has gone a step further and will fine an agent for withdrawing a listing and putting it back on market who is trying to manipulate the system and/or trick the consumer. Check with your local board of realtors on their policy to see if that is the reason.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
Aptlynamed, , Jerome, AZ
Mon Aug 20, 2007
Hi Paul. Thank you for offering to look into it. I'm located in Yavapai County. Our local MLS is the Verde Valley MLS. That listing area includes communities such as Sedona, Cottonwood, Clarkdale, Jerome...