I own a new home that I'm selling. Do I have to give a year warranty to a new buyer or does buyer inherent what's left with my warranty?

Asked by Alan Schweikert, Oak Bluffs, MA Tue May 31, 2011

with builder? I own a new home that a builder built for me and completed in December 2010. Due to financial problems I had to put the house for sale before moving in. I have recently secured a buyer who wants me to give them a 1 year warranty from the time they close in June. My builder will not extend his warranty to me beyond the 1 year from December 2010. What is my legal obligation to the buyer?

Answers

5
Heidi Zizza, Agent, Framingham, MA
Tue May 31, 2011
you have no actual legal obligation to provide it unless you have allready agreed to that in writing. You can purchase an after market 1 year warranty from AHS for very inexpensive. Most of the major appliances may have their own seperate warranty like heating system etc.. Don't lose the sale over it.
Kv, Home Seller, 01810
Tue May 31, 2011
You have no legal obligation to provide a warranty to the buyer, whether you provide one or not can be negotiated. You should check the original warranty to see if the balance is at least transferable.

There are also home warranties that can be purchased. You can check those out and see if that is acceptable to the buyer.
Scott A. Nel…, , 02155
Tue May 31, 2011
That's a negotiable item in your purchasing agreement. You would have to see if the builder's warranty is transferable at al or assignable. You could also just purchase a home warranty for the buyer. They run around $385 to $900 depending on coverages & housing type. The current sale you're talking about the builder isn't really a party to and shouldn't be expected to participate in over and above their committment to you. If you're dealing with a real estate professional you can ask them for a real estate home warranty company. Otherwise you should ask friends, family or other trusted people in your life to recommend a real estate professional to ask for a referral.

Hope thathelps,
Web Reference:  http://www.MedfordHouse.com
David Burnham, , Washington, DC
Tue May 31, 2011
You don't have to give them a warranty, but it is not a bad idea. They are relatively inexpensive and can help avoid a dispute if something breaks in the first couple months.

It is something that is negotiable, but I always recommend to include it if a buyer asks. It gives the buyer a piece of mind, which is important for a lot of people.
Shawn Anders…, Agent, Hendersonville, NC
Tue May 31, 2011
None, but for 500 dollars it might be worth it.