I'm thinking about hiring an SEO company for my web site. Do you think $ 150. a month is a resonable price for this service? I'm a

Asked by Isabel Elsesser, Alpharetta, GA Tue Dec 15, 2009

realtor in Atlanta, GA.

Answers

6
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Hi Isabel,

Absolutely outrageous to pay that per month. You can do most of your own SEO with a little research on the Internet. It's not that difficult. Just keep your site fresh, make sure it has an MLS IDX search capability, and SEO will take care of itself. SEO for a real estate website is overrated anyway. You should be promoting your own site as part of your business plan. If you advertise it on all the Internet forums, and it is in all your advertising for your listings, then over time it will rise in the rankings without ANY SEO.

Selling SEO is the latest hustle that is being pushed on Realtors, as if it were some kind of mystical power that needs to be paid for.

-Marc

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Member, Worldwide ERC
Licensed Realtor NJ
Licensed Appraiser NJ & NY
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Agent of the Year 2008
Agent of the Year 2009
Owner: Sands Appraisal Service, Inc.
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Search the Garden State MLS: http://www.marcpaolella.com/SearchMLS
Gina Chirico, Agent, Fairfield, NJ
Wed Dec 16, 2009
Isabel,

I just wanted to add that Laura made an excellent point about Trulia. Trulia, too, has brought my rankings to the first page of google just by answering consumers questions and blogging on their site. I think the main part of SEO has to do with a constant and continuous online presence. Just having a website is not good enough to boost your rankings. You must be active and you can google your way right to the top if you use the right tools and technology the web has to offer and most of it is free.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Prudential NJ Properties
973-715-1158 cell
973-992-6363 ext 116 office
Gina.Chirico@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Wed Dec 16, 2009
I just wanted to add this link. It's a free program on January 4, 2010 and you can attend from your home or office computer. Perhaps this will give you the info and inspiration to try it on your own. It's Virtual REBar Camp!

http://virtualbarcamp.com/pages/about-vrebc/

Check it out...IT'S FREE!

Laura Giannotta
Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Wed Dec 16, 2009
As Gina said ActiveRain is a great tool, but you've also got one right here. My blogs, and answers to questions here on Trulia give me great placement on searches. IMHO I'd recommend first trying it yourself, take some classes if necessary, talk to some agents in your area that already have great SEO. Lane Baily, Richard Weisser, and Anne Rains are all from GA, and great bloggers on ActiveRain! Check them out.

If you can't find them on ActiveRain shoot me an email and I'll send the links.

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Realty - Atlantic Shore
Katina Wright, Other Pro, Atlanta, GA
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Greetings Isabel,
I don't like paying for stuff...FMLS included (inside joke). Gina hit the nail on the head, why pay for something you can do yourself, sounds like fear is going to cost you money.

Sounds like you got a telemarketing call from those guys claiming that they don't work for google but they have a relationship with google and yahoo and will guarantee you top placement for a small rediculous fee. I laughed at that guy and told him to google me....I came up #1 by the organic nature of my domain name. He asked me what about customers who do not search the words Fulton County REO...I told him those people were not my niche. :-)

Get in your website and manipulate your meta tags, keywords and everything else people are searching that will cause you to be brought to their attention. If you are not drawing in your own Sphere of Influence to your website what is a search engine supposed to do? (You've got to be magnetic) I know, I know, no time to go back to school for a marketing degree :-). It's not that hard, you are just being too analytical.

Good Luck,
Gina Chirico, Agent, Fairfield, NJ
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Isabel,

I did a lot of research on SEO over the past year or so. I've been tempted to hire a third party company myself at times. With that being said, honestly almost everything I've learned about SEO I've learned from the members of Active Rain. I'm not sure if you are a member of AR but if not, I highly recommend becoming a member. Here's the website information: http://activerain.com/action/referrals/gc1023.

There is a wealth of knowlege of ActiveRain, including SEO tips, information, etc. that you just can't simply find anywhere else on the web. If you blog, they have the google juice to bring to the first page of google. When I joined I was grandfathered in when they turned over the new outside blog feature so I do not pay for AR but for $19 a month you can have an outside blog that is 100% SEO optimized, your own custom domain name and you can link directly back to your website. Seriously, you won't have to worry about SEO again.

Check it out. You can become a free member as well but then all your posts will be members only so you will not really be attracting any new prospects to your site (which is obviously your goal). You'll only be able to connect iwht members of ActiveRain which isn't a bad thing because you can still learn a great deal about SEO, marketing, real estate, financing, etc. plus it definitely opens up doors for referrals.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. AR gives me all the google juice and SEO I need...who knows maybe I'm missing out other SEO opportunities.

Good luck with SEO and your website!