I'm high on seller's getting a pre-home inspection before going on the market. What are your thoughts as a prospective seller on this?

Asked by Gloria Jean Hecking & Jim Squire, Atlanta, GA Mon Aug 6, 2012

Answers

13
Kawain Payne’s answer
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Fri Feb 22, 2013
This is a great idea!!!

Some cities here in California actually require a pre sale inspection be done by city inspectors.
This is mainly done to uncover any health and safety issues, as well as unpermitted additions.

A privat property inspection prior to listing the home can be a GREAT value to the seller.

They will know upfront what repairs MUST be ,and which SHOULD be done. It also gives the seller and the listing agent a tool to use to determine the list price of the home. If the home is in need of costly repairs , and seller is unable, or unwilling to complete the repairs, they may want to price the home to reflect the cost of the repairs needed.

This does not negate the buyer getting their own inspection!

Best of Luck to You!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Matt Cockerh…, Agent, Arlington, TX
Fri Nov 9, 2012
Do it! The buyers are likely going to bring their own inspector through, you may as well have already done your own inspections.

Has a dramatic impact on negotiations . . . it's like a certified pre-owned car . . . buyers feel better about it since it was inspected already.
Endre Barath, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Thu Nov 8, 2012
Gloria, these have pros and cons. I find if the home is a fixer the answer is no. If the home looks like in good condition then maybe. Once you have identified issues they need to be adressed. I am more of a fan of doing a Termite Inspection & repair prior to listing, since generally that is usually a 100 seller cost anyway.

Endre Barath,Jr.
Prudential California Realty
Beverly Hills, CA
homes@endrebarath.com
310.486.1002
Web Reference:  http://www.endrebarath.com
Rachel Long, Agent, Savage, MN
Wed Nov 7, 2012
I think it is a great idea! I like to have my sellers do this. You may encounter more buyers that are not contingent on inspection:)
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Nov 7, 2012
Gloria - as we all know - the cost of the inspection isn't the issue.....the cost of potential repairs may be the issue for the sellers........

.the sellers will be in the position of having to disclose any defects that are discovered with that pre-inspection, and if they are not in a financial position to repair them, it may very well scare away buyers
Kolsky Realty, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Wed Nov 7, 2012
Gloria~ If the small amount of money to have it pre-inspected isn't a big deal to the owner, I think it can be used- and is a great selling tool! Good luck!
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Nov 7, 2012
Would you accept a unknown (to you) home inspector's report when buying a home...without doing your own inspection?
I wouldn't........

Home inspections can vary depending on the expertise of the inspector.........ever have a deal fall thru and then the house sells again and the inspection report emphasizes different things - even comes up with issues the first report missed?
I have.....

For those reasons, I am not in favor of pre-inspections.

They are not an exact science......and, at times, can be open to interpretation,,,,,,.therefore, unless there is a known defect which needs to be addressed or disclosed ahead of time, , my preference would be to let the buyers have their inspection and then deal with their requests and findings.
Elizabeth Wa…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Wed Nov 7, 2012
Hello Gloria, I did this when selling my personal home and think it is a good idea. I displayed the inspector's report with the 'call outs' and repairs we made. So prospective buyers encountered, if
any, minimal surprises.

I would be less 'high' on a seller doing an inspection if he/she doesn't address what home inspector did.

Elizabeth 'Beppy' Walton, Realtor
ASP, CFIS, DPP
Keller Williams
C/404 234 9418
beppyswalton@gmail.com
David Herren, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Wed Nov 7, 2012
This is a good idea, only if your seller plans to follow through and do some or all of the repairs. Your seller should be willing to consult with you, the agent, to decide which repairs to do.

Dave Herren
404-425-4945
Best Atlanta Properties
Richard Morse, , Atlanta, GA
Tue Aug 7, 2012
I am a big fan of pre-listing Inspections and not just because I am an inspector. A pre-listing Inspection will give the Seller an advantage in the negotiation process, that is if the Seller repairs the items that the inspector had noted. The purpose of the pre-listing inspection is to place the Seller in control. When the strengths and weaknesses of the home are found during the inspection process, the home can then be properly marketed, highlighting the positive points. Typically, the cost of the actual inspection is far less than what the Buyer could potentially negotiate. Well worth the cost, especially since most of the concerns that I have found during pre-listing inspections, the Seller did not know were present.

Richard Morse
(770) 564-1505
Morlin Property Inspections
http://www.MorlinPropertyInspections.com
facebook.com/pages/Richard-Morse-Morlin-Property-Inspections/248368139328
Isabel Elses…, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Mon Aug 6, 2012
I think it is a good idea to know any and all defects about the house your selling.
It is a good idea to know that sooner than later.
Displaying a home inspection report is a great selling tool as well.

Isabel Elsesser, Realtor
First United Realty
Save Time & Money!
http://www.isabelsnewhomes.com
http://www.Buford.georgiamls.com
Direct 770-307-8751
Fax 888-799-3184
Over 28 Million SOLD
William Pola…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Suwanee, GA
Mon Aug 6, 2012
Your integrity is well noted. The down side to this cost is skepticism. As a buyer, I may not believe that the seller's inspector is going to do me any justice. I would still want to get my own inspection.
On the lending side, inspections done are usually given to the appraiser on FHA deals. This will cause more problems for the seller because he/she will have to pay for repairs prior to close, especially if the buyer doesn't qualify for a rehab loan.
Elizabeth Wa…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Mon Aug 6, 2012
Hello Ms. Hecking-Squire, thank you for your inquiry. Pre-home inspection is a great idea if a seller
is willing to do this. I had my personal home pre-inspected before listing it. I displayed the report w/other promotional info and the few 'call outs' from the report were corrected.

Please feel free to contact me via email and/or phone if you would like further information and/or I
can assist you in any way.

Thank You again for writing.

Sincerely

Elizabeth 'Beppy' Walton
C/404 234 9418
beppyswalton@gmail.com
http://www.beppyshomes.com
I'm a realtor with Prudential Ga Realty-Dunwoody office Beppy.
Flag Mon Aug 6, 2012
Thanks for the quick and wise response Beppy! You were a smart seller. I have
a home inspection on my personal home in the Dunwoody every few years for my eyes only.
Flag Mon Aug 6, 2012