I'm currently trying to sell my home "by owner."

Asked by Julie, 31804 Tue Aug 25, 2009

Is it true that as the seller all I am responsible for is having the contract ready for the buyer to sign? Inspections, appraisals, lawyers, etc are set up by the buyer?

Answers

2
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Tue Aug 25, 2009
Julie
My answer is very similar to Susan's.

I would become informed as much as possible about the process. There are many good sites to do so, but Trulia is the Best because I'm here.... ; )

Then if you choose to use a full-service Agent or a Flat Fee service I would interview Agents to find one you feel comfortable with.
I say Agent because not all Good Agents are members of NAR and not all the members of NAR are good Agents.

I would also read the Blogs Rockinblu provided links for as they are informative and well written IMO.

The main point though is you are going to be involved in a process that can impact you financially so if you are not willing to take the time necessary to inform yourself and inform yourself and inform yourself. GET AN AGENT!!!!!

You have options but being able to take advantage of the them depends on your committment and your Agent's if you choose to use one.

Dunes
.
Susan Costa, , Westport, MA
Tue Aug 25, 2009
Julie - I am not sure where you are located but all areas have regulations that must be met. Ex - in MA, Title V must be completed by Seller or Buyer (what is agreed upon) Who will write up the Purchase and Sales Agreement? Smoke and Carbon regulations must be met (this is the seller responsibility).

I would advise using as Realtor - there are many things that can go wrong. A Realtor can advertise and screen proscpective buyers. What happens if the buyer is not pre approved and the sale falls through? Who is handling the escrow account. I would suggest you contact a Realtor in your area.