I hear that an estate sale could be a good way to attradt people to your house.

Asked by Scott, Raleigh, NC Thu Sep 13, 2007

Should I make sure and put my parents old house on the market before I have an estate sale.

Answers

7
Kaye Thomas, Agent, Manhattan Beach, CA
Thu Sep 13, 2007
I agree with Maureen.. I think it would be best to hold the estate sale first . Once the home has been cleared you can evaluate and make any needed repairs that will enhance the value. Something as simple as painting the interior can make a big difference in price. Also it's easier to make repairs to a home that is vacant then one that has a lot of furniture and possessions.
Web Reference:  http://kayethomas4homes.com
Penny Parker, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Thu Sep 13, 2007
Actually, my mom has an estate sale company in the Phoenix area. It is amazing how many homes sell this way. Just last weekend when she was having a sale, the Realtor dropped off some information. A lady came to the sale, saw the flyer and bought the home. Days on the market...0 and the home sold for full asking price.

Here is a link to her web site.....

http://www.citywideestatesales.com

Maureen Fran…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Thu Sep 13, 2007
My thought would be "no". The home will not be looking its best during an estate sale, and the people who will be coming through will be very random,and not necessarily in the market for a home. If it is clear that you are disposing of all the contents I think that anyone who might actually be interested in the home will inquire then. I know of Realtors who try to find listings that way.
Web Reference:  http://mioaklandcounty.com
Tamra Lee Ul…, Agent, Payson, AZ
Fri Mar 7, 2008
Ok, estate sales attact people who are interested in buying items at auction cost. My suggestion to you is this. Hire a realtor to represent you and the home during your estate sale. Sell the personal property as you will and have a real estate professional handle passing out flyers and answering questions about the real esate. There are alot of scam artists out there.Personal property is one thing to try and sell, real estate at a personal property sale is another. You can attract buyers the same way if your realtor helps you advertise the estate sale and you will have a professional on your side when questions arise about the property.
Web Reference:  http://www.resourceaz.com
Marina Kocian, , Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Sep 13, 2007
Some times it could bring a buyer.
People are always visiting estate sales, for two reasons:
Want to get some house items, or they want to see the house.
My husbad visited a estate sale and the house came on the market.
The house had 8 offers, One was my husbands.
Find out your comfort level. Consult and make an informed decision.
Best Wishes.
Web Reference:  http://OwnYourHomeAZ.com
Suzanne Walk…, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Thu Sep 13, 2007
I think people do have success selling at an estate sale BUT only IF it is priced to sell. Especially since the home won't be in the best showing condition. I am a real estate broker and will ultimately advise you to consult your attorney if you have never sold a home on your own, and most especially in a probate situation. If you get no prospects during the estate sale then list with a professional. This is a tough market, a real estate agent will earn their money if they bring you a buyer.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Thu Sep 13, 2007
Hi Scott:

I think there is advantage and disadvantage to both, as long as you know your options and what you are looking at, then you can make an informed decision for your situation.

Estate Sale does attract people, both the ones who want to purchase household items and collectibles as well as the ones who either want to have a lead for a house or are actually hoping to get the house before it comes on the market. You can also put words out there that the house will (or is) for sale in the near futhre. Perhaps the neighbors will bring buyers in.

You might want to think about how your parents house look with all their possessions in the house - does it look cluttered? unorganized,? Tired? Outdated? Are the possessions a plus or minus for the property? Is the house tastefully decorated with your parent's belongings, which will help the sale of the house? Do you want to keep some items for open house, or rather start fresh with an empty house and perhaps stage the house for sale? All these need to be considered.

As far as finding buyers are concerned. Do you have a price in mind and Realtor in place if you find a buyer during estate sale? Some people, unless stumbled upon the house during estate sale, who are thinking about getting a house during this time are usually thinking about getting a bargain. Is that what you are willing to do in exchange of getting house ready and formally putting it on the market?

I think both sets of answers are right, but you just have to decide which one fits your requirement better and go from there. But go ahead and find a reputable realtor to represent you - you will need that soon.

Sylvia .