I have my one family home on the market in queens, ny and need to replace the roof. I have no leaks yet.

Asked by Rosa, South Ozone Park, Queens, NY Sun Mar 30, 2008

Is it better to wait for an offer and give the buyer credit or should i replace now? How much does a shingle roof cost for a single family home and 1 car garage? (estimate)

Answers

8
Linda, , Berwyn, PA
Sun Mar 30, 2008
I would discuss the return on your investment (roof replacement) with a realtor. Buyers often overestimate what costs will be to repair/replace a given item and figure this in to an offer. You may in fact get a better offer with a new roof. Costs really depend on the square footage of the roof, specific shingle type chosen, and whether any plywood under the shingles needs to be replaced. Getting estimates from roofing contractors will be you best guage.
Khemraj Ramb…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Mon Nov 4, 2013
that depends on how many layers of shingles is on there at the moment. are u going to remove everything down to the roof boards. will any of the boards needs replacing. have u ever replaced your roof before. so until u get a contractor out there your cost option may vary. best to get more than one contractor's opinion and estimate, then and only then can u make a decision on whats your best option. good luck
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri May 29, 2009
Deal with the roof once you have a buyer and if it becomes an issue then. In the meantime make certain your house is very presentable, clutter free and clean, and don't forget the exterior curb appeal.

Anna
917-576-5376
abrocco@laffey.com
Therese L Ko…, Agent, Bayside NY 11361, NY
Thu May 28, 2009
Hi Rosa, if it's not leaking don't fix it. Get 2 different estimates in writing. Wait to see what the buyer's inspector says- if the buyer asks for something off- have them give you a price-start with offering them half of what they ask for. (Meet them half way) Terry K 718-614-3167 cell
Stephen Maha…, , Valley Stream, NY
Wed Dec 3, 2008
In order to secure the sale the roof must be free of leaks, so if there are none you are ok. depending on the condition it could negatively impact the sale. You should do the due dilligence and get estimates as during a home inspection it will most probably come up. Depending on the cost , you may want to do the work as it will impact the offer. Hope this helped
ALBERTO S., , New York, NY
Wed Apr 2, 2008
its ahrd to find a good roofer, contractor for that matter. i would wait til i find someone first whos likes the house., and deal with that later.never know your buyer might be a roofer or handy person and even determine that the whole roof doesnt need to be replaced.
al-9178260705
Henry Cunala…, , Bayside, Queens, NY
Sun Mar 30, 2008
Rosa, I concur with my collegues. I live in Flushing about 15 min from South Ozone Park.

Please email me at Henry@HenryCunalata.com
or call me at 917-497-0729.

Henry
Web Reference:  http://www.henrycunalata.com
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sun Mar 30, 2008
In NY, you are required to deliver a roof that doesn't leak. That's it. What is the condition of the rest of the house? Are you updated and staged everywhere else?

I would get some estimates and put them aside. Get a buyer and have their PE inspect the premises. If the roof becomes an issue, you can think about negotiating at that time. Don't spend the money until it becomes an issue. That's my opinion.
Web Reference:  http://GailGladstone.com