I have been deeded a house by my father. He has passed away. My Mom who was never on the deed refuses to leave the property and is not paying any

Asked by Ejt, Weymouth, MA Sat Feb 13, 2010

utilities etc. The house has been neglected and I am unable to afford it. I need to sell it. How do I go about selling the property with my mom in it.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Tue Oct 2, 2012
"Spacious 3 bedroom, 2 bath home in highly sought after community. Comes fully furnished including Mom!"

You are in such a situation. A mother who has lost her soul mate, lost her society, lost her identity, lost her relevance, and may be in the deepest stages of depression.

You have the need to respect and honor your mother and your father. Somehow sicking the dogs on your mom just doesn't seem right.

In all seriousness. the resource I have found most beneficial in getting everyone on the same page was to take advantage of the grief counseling available through Hospice. They are very skilled at guiding folks through the abandonment issue and seeing the light of hope on the other side. I found their compassion and gentleness essential as I traversed these grounds in my own life.

Please, if possible, choose this option before letting the dogs out.

Wishing for you the very best outcome,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
0 votes
no1secjob, , Florida
Tue Oct 2, 2012
Sorry you lost your husband, mom, now get the hell out!
0 votes
Michael Pepp…, Agent, Braintree, MA
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Dear Home Seller, You really need to consult with an attorney. I would be happy to refer you to an attorney that could sit down with you and go over all of your options. As far as selling the house I can certainly help you with that process. I have been selling real estate for 13 years in Weymouth. I grew up in Weymouth and give you the name of a great attorney. I wish you the best in this very delicate situation.

Thank you
Michael Peppino
0 votes
Hannah Flieg…, Agent, Larkspur, CA
Mon Feb 15, 2010
Hi E,

If your mother and father paid the mortgage or housing costs from "joint" money then you may not be able to just kick your mom out. Probably you will have to pay her to leave at some point. I can only image how sensitive and frustrating this can be. Certainly once you clear it with an attorney you can sell the home with Mom in place as part of the transaction. Can you try to figure out a win-win for everyone?
0 votes
Tom and Joan…, Agent, Boston, MA
Mon Feb 15, 2010
Home seller:

You really need to contact your attorney and figure out what is going on. This sounds very unusual and you need to get to the bottom of it quickly. If you do not have an attorney relationship I would be happy to refer some attorneys to you. Best
0 votes
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Sun Feb 14, 2010
Did your mother get a lifetime estate in the will?

If so, she has a legal right to live there until she dies.
You may own the property, but she has rights to live in it.

If not, you have a lot of hard work and hard decisions ahead of you.
0 votes
Brian McMurr…, Agent, Tawas City, MI
Sun Feb 14, 2010
Definitely contact your attorney on this one. Hope this works out for you & your mom.
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Feb 14, 2010
What are you plans for your mother? Putting her on the streets would not be a good option! It would seem that a good place to begin would be to identify a new location for her to live and sell her on the idea. With this accomplished other things may fall into place.
0 votes
Pat & Steve…, Agent, Westlake, OH
Sat Feb 13, 2010
I am a Realtor & am also an Attorney (30 yrs) licensed for both only in Ohio, so whatever I write is only my personal opinion. Before you say anthing to your mother, you need to contact an attorney who handles both real estate matters AND probate matters. You and your mother may have more issues than you think. Did you father have a will? If not, MA Probate law may affect how your father's estate is handled. You really need to consult an attorney.
0 votes
Joan Braunsc…, , Morris County, NJ
Sat Feb 13, 2010
You have sooooo many issues here that really have nothing to do with real estate.

The fact of the matter is, if you own the house and your mom has no legal claim to live there, well..... I guess you could legally evict your mom from the property and sell it.

You can talk to a lawyer (not a bad idea, regardless) and see what your recourse is, or you can maybe talk to your mom and explain the situation and see what solution the two of you can come up with.

I have no idea of your family history and it is absolutely none of my business, but I think the latter solution would be the better, regardless.

I hope the 2 of you can work it out.
0 votes
Scott A. Nel…, , 02155
Sat Feb 13, 2010
You should sit down with an attorney to review your situation & how the house was passed to you and your specific rights. You may end up having to find her a place to go and pay for her move this is called "cash for keys" but before you attempt this an attorney can best advise you.

Hope that helps,
Web Reference:  http://www.MedfordHouse.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in Weymouth Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more