I have a 9 yr old home in East Brainerd. It is 2800 sq ft. and would would like to sale it and find

Asked by Janet, 56401 Fri Jan 4, 2008

something larger. Right now we have laminate countertops in kitchen and bathrooms and vinly floors in bathroom. We are considering updating with granite countertops and tile floors. We are also considering replacing the master shower unit and the tub insert in the 2nd bath with tiled walls and surround. The file update we are considering is a screened in porch. The quote we have is $18,000. Would this be a wise investment. How would that affect the value of our home. Do you find that most homes in the $250,000 range have these upgrades? Thanks, Janet

Answers

5
Aaron Dickin…, Agent, Champlin, MN
Wed Apr 22, 2009
This question is from 14 months ago... I believe the seller is long gone from this forum...
Jamie Magness, Agent, Baxter, MN
Wed Apr 22, 2009
Janet,
The questions that are being asked are good questions. Are these upgrades wanted or needed? What condition do you feel your home is in? Have you seen what your up against for selling competition in the $250,000 range? My advice is to schedule an appointment with a real estate professional/ Realtor. A Realtor should give you updates on current market trends, your competition, what price bracket is selling the best and where your home should be priced at in todays current conditions with or without these upgrades.
Jamie Magness Real Estate Group
Kathleen Lor…, Agent, Baxter, MN
Thu Mar 5, 2009
In our present market buyers are looking for move in ready properties that have been professionally prepared for the market. Only 10% can see what could be and not just "what is". Before you spend that amount of money you need to have a market analysis done on your property and discuss with a professional as to how much these changes would add to the price or the appeal of your home.
Aaron Dickin…, Agent, Champlin, MN
Fri Jan 11, 2008
Janet,

In the Twin Cities I would say that granite and tile in a $250,000 is overkill and that a nice laminate on the counter and floor is more than sufficient. If what you have is in good condition and isn't dated, don't touch it!

The bathroom tile I'd argue is the same thing, unless what is there is in poor condition.

You definitely need to have a local agent provide you with guidance. If you'd like a recommendation for a local agent in Brainerd, let me know.
Web Reference:  http://www.AaronSOLD.com
Todd Norsted, Agent, Maple Grove, MN
Mon Jan 7, 2008
Janet, that's a great question, and a tough one to answer without seeing the property. Although you cite the laminate and tile floors you have currently, are they very dated and/or worn badly? If not, I might be inclined to tell you to sell it just as it is. Rarely, do you see a dollar for dollar payback on that sort of thing. If you plan to be in the home for a bit and would yourself enjoy the updates, then I would certianly go ahead. It's a tough call, and maybe, just maybe, you want to have a local realtor come out and do a market on your home and give you first-hand input on your situation.

I hope that helps some.

Todd Norsted
Web Reference:  http://www.toddnorsted.com