I have a question about selling our house "as is".

Asked by trinaa15, Methuen, MA Sun Jul 6, 2014

In 2002, my husband and I made what we thought was a good investment and bought an old forclosure home. It was our first time buying a house and we hadn't really known what we had gotten into. We had to replace the roof but there have been so many other issues that we just can't afford to fix. It's a two-family and we currently rent the upstairs to a friend. We have a good amount of land in a decent location but we are just ready to cut our losses and find another place to live. Our son has one more year til he graduates college and that is when we want to be out of here. What would you suggest?

Answers

1
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sun Jul 6, 2014
I don't see much of a question here.
You made a purchase in 2002. That has no relevance to 2014.
You replaced the roof. It is now 12 years old.

If you MUST MOVE now, call a Cohoes REALTOR.

If you are staying put until your son is out of college, then it's time to do the stuff needed to prepare the house for sale. You know the long term stuff....get the grass green with no patches of dirt. Paint, Paint and Paint. Yep, your son will look exceptional assisting in the transformation of the house. Time to lighten the load and sell everything you haven't used in six months. Consult your Cohoes REALTOR regarding what buyers in your area value and expect.

When the place looks so good you don't want to sell...that when it's ready for Prime Time.

Start defining the new life style ahead of you as you move into the legacy stage of your relationship.
You owe it to those around you to share what are the attributes attending a long endured companionship. How did you over come the struggles? What was the greater vision that enabled each to endure the preceding stages of great peril? People do not know this stuff. Don't make it a secret.

Your Realtor will discuss the implication of selling 'As-Is" in your market. In my region of FLorida most homes are sold this way to eliminate any obligation of the seller to make repairs.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
REMAX
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
I should have stated "We replaced the roof about five or so years ago." The house needs all new siding (When we bought it, half of it was sided, part of it was yellow siding, some was white, another side was just painted wood), there are tons of water damage issues and plumbing issues. We basically want to see it as a "contractor's special".
Flag Sun Jul 6, 2014