I have a one year contract with my agent that lets me opts out in 6 months. i want to cancel now rather than wait 2 more months

Asked by shenry533, 15228 Sun Dec 22, 2013

My agent has only done one open house in 4 months, I have asked for me. Only has 11 pictures, the norm here is 25, refuses to do more. Literally is doing nothing to market my house, does not meat the marketing norms in my area. Only communicates with me every 3-4 weeks, has no hand outs at my house, and that is not everything that is wrong. He ignores all my questions or says he will do the things I ask but then does nothing. Do I have to go to his broker to cancel early. What should I do. mine is a very good house with loads of updates and new furnace, ac,, cement work, roof, have already talked to an agent I know well and what that real estate offers is exactly what I want and it is the norm in my area. Help.

Answers

5
Kyle Kovats, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Mon Dec 23, 2013
I personally allow all of my clients to opt out unconditionally at any point in our listing agreement. If you feel your agent is not doing their duty then you should have the right to get out obligation free.
Rita Brink, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Mon Dec 23, 2013
I would definitely discuss any concerns with the broker of the agency. I know that placing your home on the market can be very stressful, especially around the holidays, and you will want to receive all the marketing of your home that is available. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them for you. RitaBrink@PrudentialPreferred.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Dec 22, 2013
If you had a discussion with your agent and that chat proved unsatisfactory, contact his/her broker owner and express your concerns; if all else fails, you could ask to be assigned another agent from within for the duration of the contract....
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Dec 22, 2013
Shopping for a replacement agent while your property is under contract isn't something that is considered a good practice. It would seem reasonable to try to resolve minor issues before they become bigger ones and to seek clarification as needed.

My recommendation is to request a meeting with the agent and their broker/manager and "air out" your complaints. You just may find that more is being done that you realize and that the inactivity on your listing may be a direct result of its price point.

you misunderstand I was not shopping for a replacement agent, just asking a very good friend what is the norm in house marketing so that I did not have unreasonable expectations, which i do not. the listing agent hasn't been to my house since September, there are no handouts available only one copy of my disclosure statement which has been there for months.
Flag Sun Dec 22, 2013
Judy Gifford, Agent, Allison Park, PA
Sun Dec 22, 2013
Call the managing broker. Your contract is with the broker who can facilitate a change to accommodate your requirements which are not unreasonable.