Jason Miller, Home Seller in San Francisco, CA

I have a house listed in Dayton and I'm wondering if I should get a new agent

Asked by Jason Miller, San Francisco, CA Thu Aug 16, 2012

my agent listed it, and posted a sign, but that was a couple months ago, the house's neighbors tell me a lot of people walk up and look, but there hasn't been one actual showing, I want an agent who is going to be actually trying to sell me house, like he was a crack dealer and my house was product, not someone who is going to list it and forget it. I've now found out he is going to be taking the month off. I would love some advice here. I want to sell it asap. I don't want it sitting for the next year or two.

Answers

7
Toni Craig, Agent, Centerville, OH
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Jason:

The price, location, and/or condition might be affecting interest. Ask your agent for a CMA (comparative market analysis) to see what your competition is, and to see what similar houses have sold for in the last six months.

You could also interview several other agents from several different companies to see what someone new has to say. You know what you want, so you'll be able to judge what you hear.

I hope this helps.

Toni Craig
Irongate Realtors
937-974-1955
Teresa Luther, Agent, Dayton, OH
Thu Aug 16, 2012
If a home is taken off the market, it must be off for thirty days to start fresh at zero days. The broker is the owner\manager of your agent.
Jason Miller, Home Seller, San Francisco, CA
Thu Aug 16, 2012
whats the difference between a brokerage and a listing agent? is the brokerage the agency he works with?
Correct. There is a possibility your "agent is in fact the broker but the most likely scenario is you are working with an agent with works for a broker(age). -- John Smith with ABC Realty. John is your agent, ABC is the brokerage.
Flag Thu Aug 16, 2012
Doug Wagner, Agent, Beavercreek, OH
Thu Aug 16, 2012
If you have an issue with your agent, you can certainly contact his/her brokerage to request another agent within the brokerage since your agreement is technically with the broker and not the agent. If you wish to change brokerages, first check the Listing Period on your Exclusive Right To Sell agreement (Listing Contract). Unless you are released from the agreement by the broker in writing, you are obligated through the end of the period. However, some brokerages will release you if your concerns are legitimate. No one wants dissatisfied customers sharing negative stories.

You are certainly free to interview prospective agents and brokers during your current listing period so you are ready to re-list when either the contract expires or you are released. However, you must initiate the contact.

Thu Aug 16, 2012
yes he did an CMA and listed it at 30,000, I wouldn't just drop the price, I'm thinking about dropping it to 25, but if I do I will pull it from the market and re-list it as a new listing so it wouldn't show a price drop. nor will it show listed for months.
Teresa Luther, Agent, Dayton, OH
Thu Aug 16, 2012
Sales in Dayton are very slow. Just because your home has not sold does not mean your agent is not doing their job. Take your concerns to your agent before making any decisions.
It is true, not your agent, just the market!
Flag Fri Aug 17, 2012
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Aug 16, 2012
It sounds like there might be more going here:

It is not his responsibility to produce "showings";
the fact that it is Listed on the MLS should produce Buyers and their Agents.

It really sounds like everyone is a little un-enthusiastic about showing your house, and I would bet that the LISTING PRICE is too high: In fact, from here, I can see that it is too high; the proof is in the pudding, and I hope you realize and accept this.

Him taking a month off is not going a bit of difference; other Realtors should want to bring their Clients with offers.

Have you had him do a CMA to determine the Market Value, and did you listen?
Do it again!
You will still have Buyers asking "why the price drop?" and "what's wrong with it?" but you can't change that now.

Good luck and may God bless
well then that's another problem my agent set the price, I'm not from Ohio, have never lived there, bought this planning on living there but life happened. and yes it is an agents job to get showings, in the wordings of the adds, when people call looking for a house but unsure of what house, or neigborhood, the agent should recommend those he has listed, anyone can list an mls, you dont need an agent for that. and yes he did a cma, and suggested the price it's at. now he's suggesting a major price drop, for fast sale, and I don't mind dropping it lower, I told him I'd be happy getting 15,000 out of it, that's half what he listed it for. but at 15,000 with a good agent it should sell in a matter of days.
Flag Fri Aug 31, 2012