I have a buried 275 gallon fuel oil tank buried in my yard. It has not been used in 5 years. Would this hinder the sale of my house?

Asked by Valjean, West Olive, MI Sun Jun 26, 2011

Tank is buried very close to house underneath a deck and surrounded by perrenial plants. Will this tank need to be removed? It would be very difficult. Are there laws about these tanks? Any epa issues? How are realtors dealing with this problem, or is it even a problem?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Pam Bava, Agent, Rochester, MI
Wed Apr 4, 2012
Wow, now many times do you run into someone looking for a Fuel Tank to use for maple syrup. I hope you can work things out to benefit both of you. :)

Good luck
0 votes
Yeah, that would be great, but I am in Michigan and he is in Vermont! I offered to give him another fuel tank I have here if he digs out the other, but I never heard back from him so I imagine he finds this a little far to come. lol
Flag Wed Apr 4, 2012
Parkerbryan99, , Poultney, VT
Mon Apr 2, 2012
I am looking for a fuel tank,Would it be something you would interested in getting rid of and i will even dig it out.I am using it for a evaporater to make maple syrup.But i really want it.Call me 802-417-1861 and my name is bryan parker
0 votes
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Jul 25, 2011
Short Answer: "yes" it will hinder the sale.

Any buyer worth his salt will want the tank removed, or decommissioned (some states allow the tank to be opened, drained, and cleaned, then filled with special sand)... others require that it be removed.

And yes, if the tank has leaked, and contaminated the soil, you could well have an EPA issue.
0 votes
Brek Schutten, Agent, Grand Rapids, MI
Mon Jul 25, 2011
It could hinder the sale somewhat, but it all depends on who is looking to buy your home. You must disclose this fact on your "Seller's Disclosure" document somewhere so that you are not held liable after a sale is complete. My advice would be to leave it alone until you find a buyer for the property. If they need it taken care of, you can work something out in the purchase agreement. I do not know if there would be any EPA issues with this, so for that, I would contact a local authority.
0 votes
Cicely Brook…, , Birmingham, MI
Sun Jun 26, 2011
When you sell your home, it must be disclosed on the Michigan Seller's disclosure form. Then it's up to you and the buyer - but be prepared for it to became an issue. Removal costs will vary - more if it is leaking since then surrounding dirt will also have to be removed.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in West Olive Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more