I have a 3 bedroom house which includes a master bedroom with a sitting room. Good idea to convert the unused sitting room into a 4th bedroom

Asked by Coz007, South Lyon, MI Sun Apr 10, 2011

2700 sq foot colonial home.

Answers

12
Gregory Smith, Both Buyer And Seller, Kalamazoo, MI
Sun Apr 1, 2012
I have found that a large home, like yours, attracts specific buyers. Adding "4BR" to a listing will only disappoint people that are serious on purchasing a 4BR home. With your large home, if the sitting room is larger than 10' x 12' and it can have a separate entry door as well as a legal egress window added......do it. Check out all the costs of this remodel before you get excited. It might move your home quicker, but it will be an investment in the sale.
Michelle Pay…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Sat Oct 20, 2012
A four bedroom home is very desirable in South Lyon. However, a nice master bedroom is a huge plus! It will really depend on the square footage of the bedroom. I would be happy to show you comps of both 4 and 3 bedroom homes to help you with your decision.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Sun Apr 1, 2012
I might check with a local Realtor if your conversion is based on the thought that this would make the home more appealing to future buyers. Depending on the size of your home and the configuration and number of baths this could well make sense. The most important thing is that this room could be entered from the hallway and it must also have a closet in it and a window to truly be a fourth bedroom. If you had to enter this room through the master then I would not consider doing this.

Hope this helps.
Gisele Zachar…, Agent, Aventura, FL
Mon Mar 26, 2012
Are you planning to sell your house and probably think that the conversion will be more attractive to potential buyers? If so, ask for different realtor's opinions before you do anything.
In my opinion, if the change is not "necessary" and won't guarantee bringing more money, then don't do it. Leave the way it is but mention to each potential buyer what can be done and let them decide.

Gisele Zachar-Nashelsky
Broker Associate
Twitter: twitter.com/sellinginmiami
Facebook: facebook.com/sellinginmiamibygisele
Email: sellinginmiami@gmail.com
Kyle Zimplem…, Agent, South Lyon, MI
Mon Mar 26, 2012
If you can make it work in your budget then it would make sense to do it. Adding a bedroom/ remodeling a kitchen/ bath are great ways to increase your homes value. Things like finishing your basement or adding a porch are nice and will help your home sell faster but usually don't increase the value.
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Sun Apr 10, 2011
Hi, you would want to be sure that the bedroom meets the required sq footage amount to be considered a bedroom. A room can still be called a bedroom even if it doesn't have a built in closet, you can put a protable one in and still call it a bedroom. Just make sure it has a window. If the room is right off the master it could be sold as a nursery which is always a nice feature. Otherwise it it's too close and small many older kids may not want to be that close to the master.

Chris
Web Reference:  http://raveis.com/chrispagli
Gail Corcoran, Agent, Royal Oak, MI
Sun Apr 10, 2011
The basic definition of a bedroom is a room having both a closet and a door. If your sitting room can pass this test, then it could be very easy just to switch out the furniture and decor to emulate a bedroom if you so choose. Otherwise, it is also possible to mention in the Remarks section of an MLS listing that the sitting room can easily become a 4th bedroom.....

I would love to see your home - complete with sitting room! - and assist you further. Please feel free to call/email me at any time!!

Gail Corcoran
Century21 Town & Country
(248) 556-7463
http://www.gailcorcoran.com
gail.corcoran@century21.com
Lisa Prochaz…, Agent, South Lyon, MI
Sun Apr 10, 2011
Many buyers are requesting four bedrooms. However, there are many factors to considering before investing time and $$ into a renovation. If the proposed fourth bedroom would be a small space or in a akward location it may be better to leave as is and market it as a workout/office/nursery space for prospective buyers. I'd be happy to provide you with a no obligation consulation to answer any questions you may have about potentially selling your home as well as provide you with current market information. I've lived and worked in the South Lyon area for close to 20 years. I'd love to hear from you!

Lisa Prochazka
Real Estate One South Lyon
http://www.lisaprochazka.com
248-437-3800
Web Reference:  http://www.lisaprochazka.com
Bill Grisamer, Agent, Novi, MI
Sun Apr 10, 2011
It depends on the size of the room and how can it be accessed. If it has its own entrance, a window and a closet, it can be considered a bedroom. If it meets these criteria ans is at least 10x10 sq ft it will definately add value to the home. Any room smaller than that usually has reduced functionality for a bedroom.
Peter Maxfie…, Agent, South Lyon, MI
Sun Apr 10, 2011
Dear Coz007,

There are many factors to consider. I am right here in South Lyon, so I know the markt very well. If the area is above grade, you will typically get more money with the extra bedroom. With a 2700 sf home, it would be expected to have a 4th bedroom. unfortunately, if it is right by the front door, the gain might be restricted.

Call my office and I will speak in more detail for you. 248-437-4144

Max
Chip Andis, Agent, Waterford, MI
Sun Apr 10, 2011
As a real estate professional licensed in Michigan I am often asked about converting rooms in a house. The most important factor to consider is if you are planning to sell your property, will the expense of conversion be recovered in the sale price? Adding a bedroom will not warrant increasing the asking price if it is exceeds the current market sale prices for your area.
You describe your house as 2700 sq foot colonial.
In South Lyon, 17 homes have sold in the previous 6 months with a sq footage similar to your house. They all had at least 4 BR with the exception of 2 houses which had 3 BR. They each had at least 2 full baths and at least one half bath.

Keep in mind a new bedroom must have a sufficient egress window and a closet. A house the size of yours should have at least 2 full baths to accommodate the gross living area.

For further information and real estate questions, contact

Chip Andis
Cell (248) 931-0084

Chip@Realfi.com

REALFi
REAL ESTATE AND FINANCE IN ONE
34 S. Telegraph Rd
Waterford, MI 48328
Office (248) 886-0000
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Apr 10, 2011
Depends--consider inviting a few local agents and ask for their opinion.....