I hate the house we just purchased and am crying everyday. Is it insane to sell immediately?

Asked by Hawke, 07410 Mon Aug 17, 2009

Answers

56
psawyer2708, Home Buyer, 78410
Sat Feb 8, 2014
This is an old thread, but I'd like to briefly share my experience in case in helps anyone else. We bought a fixer upper on a beautiful piece of land. I was seduced by the view and the beautiful trees while thinking I could work on the house. I failed to think that while a view is wonderful, you have to LIVE in the house. I too cried, not realizing how awful the house was when we bought it. It didn't really look awful, but the construction of it was really bad so that when we tried to remodel, there was always a problem that had to be corrected before we could proceed. We lived in the house for seven years, and updated many things in that period of time. Well, to make a long story short, I cried the day we moved (due to my husband's job). After that long, even an awful house becomes your home. Every experience has silver linings though--I learned to be quite the DIYer. Now we are in the process of building a new house, and I learned so much about houses and costs and quality from that house, that I feel like a very informed buyer. Anyway, most people can't afford to sell immediately, so I would say that time will help your house feel more like a home. Just remember that it's the people you love that matter, not the house. Focus on them.
what i needed to hear about my own house. because while my kids think it's their dream home, i hate it in so many ways! lessons on contentment and comparing is the thief of joy right?
Flag Thu Mar 2, 2017
Very nicely written! Appreciate your encouraging and helpful post.
Flag Mon Jan 30, 2017
Thank you for your post. My dh bought a fixer upper 28 yrs ago and I cried when we moved in to it. Completely remodeled it thru the yrs and LOVE my house. But, kids moved from area and we are retired and feel that we will at some point in the future need their help so we sold the house. The closing is in one week and I am devastated. I'm crying and sick about it. Bought a tiny house near son and praying I can handle a house that is about 800 sf.
Flag Sat Dec 10, 2016
I don't mind the house as much as I hate that my neighbors don't upkeep their properties. Living in an upkept townhouse that faces other townhouses that need work is depressing. Nonetheless, this is inspiring :)
Flag Fri Oct 3, 2014
Great story! It's exactly the sentiments I tried to share with the poster!
Flag Sat Feb 8, 2014
Submit2succe…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun Dec 20, 2015
In uk we have a 6 month cooling off period before a property can be relisted, like you I purchased a property which turned out to be a complete money pit from a very clever house flipper. It would have cost in excess of 20k plus a lifetime of maintainence to remedy,, i mean everything kitche, boiler, moukd growth, asbestos, timber rot, damp, electrics, foundation trouble, low water table causing flood issies and rediculous condensation along with leaks and generally just being terrible and foisty. I really have no idea why I bought it, in the end having received offers of 10k lower than the purchase price we paid and 20k less than the asking price we part exchanged with a house builder, knowing what I know now I woild have probably not have sold my first home which was close to being paid off, but life gives you lemons sometimes and puts you to the test, still my advice would be always to make sure its what you really want, our brains have a funny way of convincing us that we need to obtain a bigger house, better car etc to be happy, happiness is not found in things like this, the experience has made me realise a lot about myself especially how to appreciate things more and to loose my ego, i was very arrogant before this happened and it has shown me how vulnerable i am as a human beinh. Advice i would give is make sure you really analyse why it is you want to move and if it for the correct reasons, I could honestly write a book on the experience me and my family endured and would be happy to discuss the choices I made with anyone else who has made similar mistakes.
Hi Submit2sucess I would really like to make contact with you to discuss how you got through this. Is there a way we can make contact?
Flag Fri Sep 2, 2016
Somewhere USA, Both Buyer And Seller, Summerville, SC
Thu Feb 12, 2015
Very old thread, but I googled "i hate the house I just bought" and this popped up so I thought I would activate this thread because I am so there with you!

I too hate the house I bought, house okay, but the neighborhood really gets on my nerves. We have an HOA, I received the Restrictions at closing. But there is no board of directors, no dues are being collected and so it seems that everyone does what they want to. I would like to reactivate the Restrictions but can't find the bylaws and no one in the neighborhood wants them reactivated. I gave up a house that was virtually paid for thinking that I was moving up because the neighbor I sold in was being crime ridden. Boy was I wrong - I hate my house so much and I'm driving my husband nuts with my complaining. I dislike my neighbors and their chickens, which according to the covenants they are not allowed. I too am crying - I want so bad to sell the house but I would loose $20k and I cannot justify that much of a loss so I'm stuck and it is the most frustrating and a sickening feeling.

I really, really hate my house - and I'm a smart woman, bought and sold real estate many times and this is the first house I have ever owned that I have such a passionate dislike for.
"...seems that everyone does what they want to. I would like to reactivate the Restrictions..." Reactivate restrictions - Jeez why not martial law. Given that I live in a over-55 development full of Condo Nazis who peer out the window your situation sounds delightful - marvelous in fact - no Board of Directors messing in private business. Let it go about the freakin' chickens.....you're not in Kabul after all. Sell, take a loss and for Christ's sake leave your freedom loving neighbors in peace.
Flag Sat Mar 18, 2017
Hope you just let these people and their poor chickens be. They were there first, not hurting anyone, and those chickens could end up in a much more awful situation if you make a big deal out of this. Live and let live, you are the one that bought the house.
Flag Sat Jan 21, 2017
BTW, You can let the City knows about the chicken
Flag Thu Dec 1, 2016
I am so sorry to hear that. It is too late but the most important when you purchase a home is location location location
I told my clients to go and drive by in the afternoon and weekend. You even need to check the cars parked in the street .Then you will get the feeling , this the area for you or not. Also always go to the grocery market close to the property and see the neighborhood. In your case is too late for these. you can put it in some website to sell by owner but you need to ask a lawyer or real estate agent to help you for the paperwork after you find a good buyer .You may save $20k

Good Luck
Stilla Raissi
Flag Thu Dec 1, 2016
OMG I could have written this we moved here in Sept 2015 my husband bought it I hate it. We had many zoning laws where I moved from my former neighborhood was prim and pulled together. There are chickens in my neighbors yard, firepits that burn your eyes, nose so bad, fireworks whenever, children screaming, neighbor had light shining into bedroom. I want to move my husband sees no problem. I'm thinking that I may go into an apartment and leave him here. Hopefully by now you have settled in I feel I never will. Oh, I had to sell also due to crime coming in. I lost a lot of money due to this.
Flag Wed Jun 22, 2016
I'm so sorry that you have gone through this. Are things better? We just moved 2 months ago, and there is a marsh behind our house. It (among the numerous trees on our lot) has triggered panic attacks and a lot of anxiety. Among some other things, I'm so uncomfortable in our home and I never saw this coming. I'm hoping I can make it work here for a year or two and then sell...hoping we can get close to breaking even, but health and happiness is most important. Good luck to you.
Flag Wed Nov 25, 2015
Jean, Home Buyer, Midland City, IL
Mon Jan 10, 2011
This is a response to Victor...how can you be so harsh? The statement was they bought the house because they thought they liked it. Don't be so closed minded to think that this is a stupid mistake and they should have known before closing that they hated the house. I did the same thing, and am trying to get out of our house...just bought the house 4 months ago. The neighborhood is not baby friendly, the yard is high maintenance, it is too far from everything (country feeling), and i feel isolated with my 18 month old. You sometimes need to make the mistake to know what you want. That's life, we will all get through it.
Thank you for that comment Jean. I believe people are SO excited about a house sometimes that when they find out it's not perfect and might take some work to make it just as they dreamed it was going to be...well, that's normal. People should not feel bad about it. There must be something left to like about the house. If one is feeling severe feelings of having made a mistake in choice, the partner might be feeling a little bit the same way without trying to reiterate it. Things will get better but people must do something for the good of the house whenever they are feeling they hate the house. Maybe, trying to help someone else in the community who needs help with something they didn't expect to happen at their house would be a deed noticed by the house spirit God. Also, using the word "hate" should not be used ever....it's actually a very childlike spring word meaning spoiled in such ways. Just thought I would say something as I am in a new house that has some really big probs
Flag Fri Jan 22, 2016
Well said, same happened here. We've only moved in 2 weeks ago but things are not going great.. we are stuck now since cash is gone. I'm extremely down.. and with 2 kids it's even worse, I have to hide my feelings from them.
Flag Fri Sep 11, 2015
Submit2succe…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Fri Jul 29, 2016
Little update from me, over a year now since I left my first home and 9 months since selling the money pit I bought and hated, looking back I still wish I hadn't moved in the first place and also wish I had given the money pit a chance, I watch the market every day hoping for a chance boom that will allow me to sell up and finally get something that I will love, however given Brexit that's unlikely to happen anytime soon. My current home is warmer and cheaper to run with added benefit of solar panels but I'm just really not able to enjoy the newer home design and feel claustrophobic in the low ceilings most of the time, it's serving its purpose I suppose but it's nothing like the feeling I had in my first home. The whole process has made me really ill and lose interest in a lot of things, family and friends also turned their backs on me as a result of me being so I'll from the experience which they thought was silly, so at least I found out who my real friends were. I know that property prices will rise in time at least and I can break even on this house and let another family enjoy its location, it's just not for me, tried for 9 months but just not feeling it.
Hi submit2sucess is there a way to contact you about you experience as I am currently going through something similar based in the uk
Flag Mon Aug 22, 2016
Hello, gosh I thought I was going crazy not liking my house.... To cut a long story short we lived in our family home for 16 years, then decided to build, subdivide and build again. No problems, our girls moved out of home so we built one more time in a new subdivision. I didn't want to do it, my husband did. Everything with the build went wrong, after 18 months finally moved in and I lost the plot! 8 weeks later my husband bought another house which we have moved to and sold the new one. It was a terribly time. Our new house is on the water, but old and needs total renovation which I have not got the energy for. I went from a normal person to a crazy one (the anti-depressants that the doctor prescribed sent me mad) don't ever take them! I also felt my friends couldn't be bothered, mind you I don't feel up to doing much with all the goings on. We have been here 12 months and I still want to go back to any of the previous houses! Thanks for your story.
Flag Sun Jul 31, 2016
Louise, Home Seller, New Orleans, LA
Fri Feb 26, 2016
I bought a house last summer, and love it. It is perfect for me. But moving takes a lot out of a person; there is so much to get done. It's a lot more stressful than I imagined beforehand. Throw some health issues into the mix and before you know it, a state of chronic exhaustion happens.

So my point is that if you hate your new home, don't despair. It may not be so bad after you get over the physical and mental stress from the move. Rest, recover, and maybe do a few things now and then to make it seem more like your home, to you.

(Ironically, I got to this thread by Googling "I love my new home". LOL )
so very true. i set my house up pretty much all by myself as well as having packed previous one I sold.
Flag Thu Mar 2, 2017
Submit2succe…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu Aug 13, 2015
Let me share my experience, lived in 1900s victorian street terrace with 33k left on it renovated every room from scratch, boiler, electrics, concreting, plumbing, new bathroom, new kitchen, loft conversion .The house was perfect and I sold up bought 1940s post war build....It is terrible asbestos everywhere, leaks, electrics even dangerous, smaller, smelly, musky bought on impulse perhaps, definitely wanted to move at time....We make mistakes I guess...I got burned and have to deal with that while I cope with this grieving process and feel foolish anger, depression, Denile, bargaining, you name it I've done it...I hope you got there
Thanks Submit2succe - I have been reading through all these stories of how people hate their house, but didn't find the right one until now. I too feel foolish, anger, strong depression to where i cannot sleep. I bought a home that I shouldn't have, because it was lacking some basic items that would normally keep me from even looking at it: but, i didn't use my logic and went with instincts.
Now, I am in a home on a busy street, with no central A/C and I live in the hot valley of California!
I wake each day still trying to tell the realtor that I don't want this house. But, it is too late - and I feel like a fool! I just want to ride this out until a year has passed, then I will try to rent it out and find my final home! I hope you are doing better by now.
Let me know please . . . Sick in the valley
Flag Thu Jun 9, 2016
Kwrosas, Home Buyer, Barnegat, NJ
Fri Jan 30, 2015
My husband and I purchased our first home a few months ago. I like the house and my husband is working so hard to fix it up (it needs some updating and previous owners didn't maintain well) The problem is that I regret moving so far away from our family. I Can't stand the thought of living here. We bought too much property and didn't expect the heat and electric to be so expensive either. We are already having a hard time with the cost of living here. Now all I can think about is moving back to the town we were living in. My husband is not happy, obviously. We have a usda loan so all of the closing costs were rolled in. If we can stick it out a year, will we have a chance of breaking even if we sell (considering the improvements we're making)?
Steve Quinta…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Sun Aug 19, 2012
It is not insane to sell a property you do not like. It might be insane to stay in the property thinking tomorrow will be better if there is no chance of that happening.

There is a certain monetary cost involved in changing properties. If this does not bother you than you are free to get something that works better for you.
"Certain monetary cost" means it's insane for the majority of people. Losing tens of thousands of dollars in a short period of time on what amounts to a whim, thinking that *next* time you'll get it *just right* (and looking at the comments, many of these people have had this happen over and over - at what point is the problem *not the house but the person*?) is definitely insanity unless you're very wealthy.

Of course encouraging insanity like this is a dream come true for agents :-)
Flag Thu Mar 9, 2017
This is a great note of encouragement and I live here in Corrales.
Flag Thu Mar 2, 2017
Jeanj67, Home Buyer, Fair Lawn, NJ
Sun Aug 19, 2012
I wish i knew what to tell you I been in mine 3 weeks and i'm crying too, i made a terrible mistake i wanted to downsize but this is just too much i still have a lot packed away no built-ins I thought this house would work but i feel stuck. good luck!
exact same experience im having. its still too much house but still i have no where to go with the belongings of our past home. I hate it here. at first, the house put its arms around me now i feel like it wants its original owners back.
Flag Thu Mar 2, 2017
My simpathy is with you. I too am hurting after 6 months. We bought a lovely home inside but the city noise is making me sick. my husband is okay. can get used to it.
Flag Thu Apr 11, 2013
Sadden, , Oshkosh, WI
Thu Sep 23, 2010
i am not an agent but a first time home buyer....i've been living in my house for almost 4 months now...The first time home buyer tax credit was a big temptation...it was the middle of april when we got our offer accepted for the house that we thought we loved...as you can see, it was towards the end of april where you'd have to have an accepted offer to qualify for the first time home buyer tax credit....we just made....meaning, we rushed into the house...we only saw it once and went in and put in an offer right away....i cried everyday too...just writing this is making me cry....i miss my apartment....everything was perfect there...it had a perfect view and we lived upstairs....it was an open floor plan and here at the house, everything is enclosed....the bedrooms are far from the kitchen, i can't see the tv from the kitchen here...i miss having a patio window into a patio/deck....in which we had that at the apartment....i made a wish list of what i like in a home...but we went totally opposite....the only thing that we got from our wish list was 3 bedrooms, a two car garage, and a fenced in yard....we redid the bathroom and painted 3 rooms but it's still not making it feel like home...my husband and i went over our budget on this house too so we are broke from painting and remodeling the bathroom...the tax credit paid off some debt that we had so we have nothing left...i'm worried we might face foreclosure before we can even sell it...because we got the tax credit, we are bounded to this house for at least 36 months...or we'd have to pay back the tax credit....and at least 2 years to avoid capital gains...and because our loan is through WHEDA, we actually can't sell it before 9 years or we'll have to pay tax recapture...but that's only if our income doesn't jump 5% in the year that we want to sell but i don't think our income will jump so i'm not worried....for sure 3 years....i am so depressed....i don't have money left to buy things to make it feel more like home...we are just making it.....and that's what i am going to focus on....at least i am not the only one who feels this way....i don't know if my situation is different....i am bounded to this house for 3 long years that's for sure...even so, i am afraid how things will go when it comes time to sell....how long will it be on the market?....fees!.....how much will it cost?...will we take a loss?....wish i could turn back time and not rush into it...that $8000 helped pay off debt but we are broke anyways.....just making it....but no extra money to do anything...just bills bills bills!
Sounds like my situation too. It's a fixer upper and I could easily sink $30,000 (new roof, new/repaired clapboards, interior/exterior painting, heating system, plumbing, etc.) into it just to make it decent but instead, I'm scrimping and saving just to buy curtains in a house I am only tolerating. The housing market in the Northeast is out of control expensive and I even had to go over asking price on this dive starter home. Thank God for Craig's List...I got kitchen cabinets and a great counter top for under $200 and cheap help where I can find it. ...I'll survive and so will you-hang in there!
Flag Sun Mar 2, 2014
Sadden,
It's been about two years since you wrote this. How did things turn out for you? Im kind of in the same situation you were in when you wrote your response. Thank you.
Flag Sun Oct 14, 2012
Victor Kamin…, Agent, Edison, NJ
Wed Aug 19, 2009
How long ago is "Just" as in Just Purchased?

A home purchase is not something that happens over night, did you only decide you hated the house after you bought it? I have to ask, what's wrong with the house?

Many problems, bad neighbors, bad person experience, bad house? It really is important to know, any buyer will ask so expect to answer (honestly).

If at all possible, I would have to suggest not selling so quickly unless you got it at a really good price and could possibly get your money back + commissions. In most cases a bank will not allow you to sell, actually will not allow the buyer to buy a home that was just purchased for a higher amount than it was just purchased for unless the seller can prove they purchased it "under" market value or made improvements and have receipts to prove it.

Most banks will also require at least a month or two to pass before you can resell, once again I'm talking about the buyers bank before they will approve a loan for such a house.

I'm sorry you bought a home you didn't like but if you hate it this bad, this soon you had to know before actually closing right?

Either way, Good Luck...
Now this is a good post. This isn't a freakin' cell phone or t-shirt we're talking about here.

Grownups having "buyers remorse" over a *house* purchase (or even a car) is a big problem.

Unless you can afford to flush thousands (or *tens* of thousands) of dollars down the toilet, you *really* need to think long and hard about what it is you really want.

I strongly suspect that someone so emotional that they're willing to *kill* themselves financially on a whim is very likely to repeat the same mistake over and over until they're bankrupt, then wonder how that happened.
Flag Thu Mar 9, 2017
Karen and Pa…, Agent, Cameron Park, CA
Thu Dec 3, 2015
I'm so sorry to hear these post. It's never a good feeling to feel so trapped in a house. I think some are over reacting but you feel what you feel. Owning a home is a great thing and can be stressful too. Unless you are filthy rich, we all have projects that we will never complete around the house. If I have the time, I don't have money. When I have the money, I don't have the time. Every year it's the same thing. I get mad and want to sell my house, buy something cheaper and live the easy life. But in reality I'll just be doing it again on the next house just like I did with the houses I owned in the past. There isn't any perfect house with the perfect neighbors in the perfect neighborhood. I have 5 acres and so are the lots around me. I still get a neighbors backyard light that shines in my window at night that is at least 10 acres away. There is a 750 acre open space behind my house and if the breeze is blowing my way I can hear the freeway. If I plant a flower the deer eat it that night. If I plant something deer don't eat, they rip it out of the ground. But there are so many more positive things that keep me here. I love my house and I don't sweat the small things. Everybody here bought their homes loving something about them, you just got to get back to what that was and stick with it. Don't let anyone else ruin your happiness.
Great post. Excellent perspective and the right outlook IMO. People should listen to the voice of experience, that is being objective and putting self interest aside (being an agent)

But of course people won't listen and instead will choose to dig themselves a hole and learn the hard way.
Flag Thu Mar 9, 2017
ziochicco84, Home Owner, Washington, DC
Sun May 14, 2017
Here is my situation so that you feel less lonely. I just purchased my first condo and I hate it. It's in a century old building with a romantic layout, lots light and beautiful view. However the units is on the first floor about 4 meters above the ground with large windows that are very beautiful, but at the same time let in a lot of noise (the neighborhood is extremely quiet but still I hear every single car that goes by). Also, I have these one century old hardwood floors that are beautiful to watch (I like them less and less though), but they are also worn and they are horribly noisy. They creak and squeak every time I walk anywhere in the apartment, And the worse thing is that it is the same for the unit upstairs. Every time the guy upstairs walks his floor squeaks and creaks and it is like having him in my apartment. Also the vertical insulation between the units is bad and I can hear him watching TV, listening to music, and talking which I also makes me fell like I have zero privacy.

The building is also bad. The common areas are being redone in a month or so, but at the moment they are just ugly, old, and dusty. In the trash room someone abandoned pieces of furniture and they are there rotting and no one is taking care of them, Moreover almost half of the units are rented out and there is no rental cap which is never a good sign.

I don't know what I was thinking when I bought the unit. How is it possible I did not notice all these problems? I inspected the unit twice, talked with people living in the building, talked with the managers of the building and everyone told me the building was very quiet and well managed. I think I was just carried over by the low price (although the price per sqft is actually very high for a first floor), and the beauty of the neighborhood. Now I feel horrible and I just hope that prices go up quickly--which I know it won't happen-- so that I can sell in three years . The idea of living years in this noisy unit and old building is killing. I wish I was still in my old apartment which did not have the charm of this unit, but it was quiet, practical and in a well managed building.
Alexmadg, Home Buyer, Fair Lawn, NJ
Thu Mar 23, 2017
I just bought a flat in the UK and I hate it, the thing that made me love it is now my living nightmare, large glass walled living room, that would cost a fortune to replace and lets in so much nose. Theres nothing structurally wrong with it but the road is right outside. How I didn't notice the noise levels or ever thought I could live with them is beyond me. I am getting quotations for secondary glazing but it will be around 5k and i really don't know how effective it will be. If I move now I will lose the best part of 10K and will have to rent. I feel so angry with myself and sick every-time I think about it, I'm thinking about it constantly, so it's no affecting my work, I'm not eating, not sleeping well, drinking to much to cope with the stress. I'm almost suicidal.
My wife and I are dealing with a similar issue. The house has cigarette smoke damage, which has been treated professionally, but is still noticeable and is still causing unignorable issues for my wife, who has asthma. The smoke treatment was in our contract, so we thought it would be taken care of, but we're now in a house that we cannot actually live in, and are legally prohibited from selling for one year. The tears, shame, fear and out of control anxiety are real. I need to talk with a lawyer and find out what our options are. Best of luck to anyone experiencing something similar. We can deal with all the things that need work, but the smoke is hurting my wife and we're spending money on hotels. This is a nightmare. We are in Albuquerque, NM,
Flag Wed Apr 19, 2017
Kellymah168, Home Buyer, Fair Lawn, NJ
Mon Mar 13, 2017
I totally feel all of your pain! I am not sure if anyone will read this, but we own a townhouse which we built brand new in 2013 and lived in it since 3 weeks ago. We moved into our house rental that is 15 years old and original everything. The kitchen is smaller, less bathrooms, old old and dingy. We thought it would be a good change because we are expecting and the front room den is bigger than the second room in the townhouse. But now im here and I do not like it at all. I hate it. The sinks are rusty, the bathtub is rusty, it's very used, old. I feel horrible begging him to move back to the townhouse as we moved 2 weeks ago and found renters for the townhouse. I have tried everything to like this place but I cannot raise a child here. Husband does not want to do any renos because he wants to sell this house in 2-3 years and we ill buy another one then. 3 years?! Help!
Queena Mack, Home Buyer, Fair Lawn, NJ
Sat Mar 4, 2017
I'm retard and my landlord sold me a message up house I live in spartanburg sc and I got a light bill that is $1,200 every year I hate this house .roof mess up and water leaking it the roof and and the floor old and creaking and painting the house is bad ,he did not pay the taxes and I'm on the deed and he living like a king I'm living like a poor person with kids no help I'm disabled to work I got kids . I draw to be happy and not sad . Water bill $200. Electronic box 1979 . I need a better 4 bedroom house for my family I'm going crazy .I need help someone help me I'm going crazy. My kitchen floor going in and back pouch is in and front pouch is mess up .my house is not .I go to mental health center .my parents die. I got no help Texas to high on my house .I have kids and I babysitter to .please someone help me .
Rbell, Home Buyer, Fair Lawn, NJ
Sat Feb 11, 2017
I wanted to share about my experience. I did write a post but don't think it went through. I hate the house we purchased this past Sept 2016. We live on an island. My back yard has a canal. The front faces a bay where the park is. I hate it because all the park people can see my house and if I have the windows open can see inside. I like my privacy but have none. Along with the creepy crawlys that live on the water. The house has negativity as I find my husband and I argue all the time. And we both keep getting sick. The house is more than we can afford and I want out. He seems to think if I put my touches on it everything will be fine. I have done a few upgrades but can't do nor do I want to do anymore. The house was poorly built. It's freezing in the winter and is surrounded by too many windows. Along with its 90's decor. I just want out. I have a plan to save 10,000.00 again but it's gonna take a while. I feel like we got duped by the realator who saw two suckers and I miss my old house. And although I did want to move I just wanted a house with a bigger back yard and a pool. I liked the area where we used to live and miss it. I am not a lake person. Thank you for listening.
Martina, Home Owner, Bristow, VA
Wed Sep 14, 2016
Not sure if anyone still reads this thread, but thought I'll give it a try.
My husband, myself and our adult daughter and our grandson moved into this house almost 2 years ago. We moved from another State and had to find a place to lay our head, due to my husbands job. The house has 5 bedrooms and 5 baths. My daughter and our grandson are in the process of moving out. Also, my husbands commute is very long and has shown to be a bigger burden than we thought. To make a long story short: We really want to move closer to his workplace ( he is not getting younger) plus the house is way to big for the two of us. Since we live in a new home development, I am afraid that we will be forced to wait until the builder finishes before we can sell our home, since buyers like the idea of working with the builder and picking out what they like. Finishing this area might take several years.
I would like to hear suggestions on what woud be our best option.
Erin hasan, Home Buyer,
Sat Sep 3, 2016
This thread has actually made me feel a bit better. I just bought a town house with my husband. I hate it!! I cry everyday. We looked for 3 years and I feel like I was so tired of looking I completely settled.
I feel so sad and I don't know how to fix it? Is it crazy to sell so quickly?
I don't know what I was thinking. Terrible view, noisey street traffic and the hoa drives me nuts. Why did I do this?!?
We looked also for over three years and finally I said enough is enough and settled for a home I hate. The main thing I was looking for in a home was sun. My only New Years resolution was to find a sunny home. The new home is so dark and depressing in almost every room and I hate the outside of it. Also both my husband and I find this town (where we have loved for three years) very uninspiring to say the least. In addition we way overpaid for the home and know we will never get our money back.

I know it's shocking that we bought this house given all I just said. I've never been a good decision maker.

I would love to move in another year or so but feel we can't keep moving our kids. So I feel stuck.
Flag Wed Apr 26, 2017
GAHomeEmotio…, Home Owner, Savannah, GA
Mon Aug 29, 2016
So thankful to find this thread but sorry to see the same emotional roller coaster being experienced.

After 14 years and 2 kids, we sold our home. Why? While we had second to none neighbors and geographically good location, we had the money pit and were not close to daily needs - work, school, church, sports, etc. About 25m/30m pending the event. So, took advantage of our equity and moved that 25m distance, within 10m of everything. We move this week and put a lot of work into it already. Now that it's coming and neighbors had a get together for us, all of us are an emotional wreck. Talk about sever buyer's remorse. I led the charge to sell thinking it was the right thing for all of us. Now I realize that while our kids were not around many friends and missed events due to me not wanting to drive into town yet again, that they really appreciated the security of our neighbors. The older ones in particular who became like surrogate grandparents. I too am regretting moving away from such great neighbors and neighborhood. But, I'm curious if location is what I'll miss versus the location of convenience. I suppose the answer can be either depending on where you are at the moment.

Thank you again for sharing and here's to everyone finding that greener pasture.
I am going through a similar experience now and am wondering how things are now that you are settled in to your new place? My husband and I have lived in our home for 28 yrs. Totally remodeled it thru the yrs. Our 2 boys are grown with their own families--one lives 160 miles from us and the other 350 miles away. My only family here is a sister and we don't see each other a whole lot but we are here for each other when needed. As we are getting older, in our early 60's, our son who is 150 miles away convinced us to move to his area to be closer to the grandchildren. Knowing that down the line, we will be needing help in our old age, we decided to make the move. The closing is in 5 days and I am devastated about it now. I think I made a horrible mistake. The house is only about 900 sf on a slab and there is no way to fit all our stuff in it. I'm hoping to hear some upbeat responses here. Hoping that some have come to love their new homes after living in them for a while.
Flag Sun Dec 11, 2016
GAHomeEmotio…, Home Owner, Savannah, GA
Mon Aug 29, 2016

We sold our beautiful house on 1 acre in a nice neighbourhood (we were in debt and wanted out) for a large beautiful property but an awful cottage/house that needed tons of work. Not realizing how much needed to be done to the house until we actually got there and realized we may be into a year-long renovation/addition, plus a mountain of work just to maintain the property and a tonne of money. We decided to sell the property right away and got all our money back plus fees etc. and now bought a house in a nice neighbourhood in town on a much smaller lot...we move in next week but I am an emotional wreck. My kids want the original house back, and I am not sure I will like living on a smaller lot. It has been an awful 4 months and I just hope everything works out! The good thing is we are in much better financial situation but I feel sick about all the choices we made.
Flag Wed Nov 23, 2016
Lorirenee.55, Home Buyer, Fair Lawn, NJ
Thu May 12, 2016
we moved almost 2 years ago. even before we moved in, I felt sick about it but thought it was just because I loved the small rental location we lived in. it had so many beautiful country "free" amenities -- like the view of the hills and farmsteads and a beautiful sunset along our private country road every night. but it was small and we had remarried and had a big family -- 9 kids and grandkids coming all the time. so we went to a town closer to my husbands work and close to the kids and BIG. it is in the timber, so no view except of the lake...which is beautiful if you like that kind of view. the trees, mud, mosquitoes, leaf raking and burning in the fall and the encroaching timber into the yard is more than I can handle. the size of the house is also too big. we are totally able to afford this -- but I long for the simpleness of my country home. I look online all of the time for another home in the country. I have tried to share how I feel with my husband but he doesn't want to entertain moving. this will be paid off in 2 years. I have felt this way since we moved -- some days are better -- but some are so bad my heart hurts. we bought this house for the kids it seems and the beauty of a home in the timber -- but we have neighbors, and no view and so much work it seems. my heart is not in it. I feel so stupid for going with it in the first place.
Michellemari…, Home Buyer, Fair Lawn, NJ
Mon Jan 4, 2016
i bought house with my fiancee and she walked out on me only had houde 6 month and i put big deposit on it she wants name off what do i donfor best
Your comment is a little confusing - are asking how you get your fiancee off the mortgage? Right now, she is a co-signer, correct? To take her off as a co-signer, you need to refinance the mortgage into your name alone. If she just wants to be taken off the deed, that is easier. Speak you an attorney.
Flag Fri Feb 12, 2016
Joey, Home Buyer, Illinois
Sun Dec 20, 2015
I really blew it. thinking I knew better, like someone else said, my ego got in the way. I am so remorseful that I think and compare to my old home almost everyday for the last 6 months.it has really taken my usually joyful, can-do attitude to being apathetic. I don't know what got into me but I got the itch to move, thinking something else would make me feel better, happier...Ive learned a big lesson to be content with what you have. I now have a larger mortgage and added 15 years to my debt. I look back and wish someone had hit me over the head and said not to do it. I want to go back to my old neighborhood and a home with less work both inside and out. I am miserable and don't know what to do but look at the realtor listings every weekend thinking I can go back somehow.
Almost the same story with my husband.. for the record, I loved our new home, but he wanted to go back to our old home and was upset every day about it. It got so bad, we just sold after 10 months, took a loss, and settled for a much smaller, less expensive home 'for the time being." Not sure when we will sell this one, but by getting out of the larger mortgage, and back in to a much smaller one, we can recoup some of the loss before moving on. Plus I need the break from moving. I wish we were in a house we wanted to live in forever, but we just aren't. The market was pretty dry when we were looking. I also keep checking the listings on a regular basis, but know we aren't ready to make the move until next year. It's good to hear we aren't alone as we felt pretty "dumb"' about our decision to sell the other house. :(
Flag Mon May 2, 2016
I feel as if I could have written your post! We too moved six months ago AND in Illinois. I can't stop thinking about my old home. I want so bad to wake up and find out that it has been one long nightmare. My kids are miserable here and I cry every time they tell me they just want to go "home". I'm dreading the warmer weather because we will be outdoors and reminded of the amazing yard we left behind and now how foreign
everything feels. I too want to go home.
Flag Sun Jan 31, 2016
Karen and Pa…, Agent, Cameron Park, CA
Thu Dec 3, 2015
A couple notes on resale

1- You set the market value buying you home even if it was dirt cheap compared to other homes in the area. It will take time to build some equity.

2- There are realtor fees, escrow fees and inspections/repairs involved with selling. Be aware of the cost before listing so you know where you need to be to at least break even.

3- You must disclose all the problems or things that give you problems you are having with the neighborhood, house, neighbors, animals, ect.
Llazzara7 I totally feel you. We moved Sept 2016, I think I've cried almost every day since. My kids also cry and want to go home. I too wake up every morning wishing to wake up in my old home. My husband is the only one happy with it. Our neighborhood is wonderful but this house will never be what I want it to be and I'm sick about it.
Flag Sat Mar 4, 2017
Mary91320, Home Buyer, Camarillo, CA
Thu Dec 3, 2015
I hate the house I just purchased and cry everyday as well. Sounds like we aren't alone.
I just purchased a home (2 months ago) and the day after I closed I found out that my sister and her family placed an offer on the home behind me. After just moving from a house that was three doors down from her, I never thought it would be possible to get any closer. In hopes that the deal wouldn't go through, they are now moving into the house even though I expressed how I didn't want to live this close several times. Now I'm no longer on speaking terms with my family.

I regret my choice of moving every day. The new house that I love turned from my dream come true to hell in one day. I live out of boxes and am back to finding a new home since there is no point of unpacking when you no longer want to live in the house.

Since I live in a new home development, I'm force to wait until the builder finishes before I can sell my home since buyers like the idea of working with the builder and picking out what they like in a home. And it appears to be hard to find a new home that compares to a brand new home that I like everything about.

How long should you live in a house (out of boxes and using paper plates) you hate if you can't find anything that compares?
Can you rent it out and move to something else? Depending on your finances, you may also need to rent, but money vs. your happiness? Only you can know which is more important. So sorry it turned out this way. Best of luck!
Flag Thu Dec 3, 2015
Intelligent0…, Home Buyer, Fair Lawn, NJ
Thu Oct 22, 2015
No it's not insane. But you have to give something a chance. You might end up loving it. Houses are like people they might be a little broken but can be fixed. It just takes a little time. Trust me I know I once was broken just like a house I visited with my girlfriend the other day. I did not like it at all but I said oh what the heck she gave me a chance and now I wanna give the house a chance. Just think about it.
Datwater, Home Buyer, Fair Lawn, NJ
Tue Aug 25, 2015
Hello, I just bought a house as well and its making me crazy. I thought the place was cursed. It seems that I am the only one that sees it for what it is a poorly built home with innumerable problems and everyone else thinks it was a privilege that our "friends" sold it to us because so many other people were interested. I wish they had sold it to some one else. I think they knew better than to sell it to close friends or family but act as if they had no idea there would be so many problems. I am at a point that I am willing to take a 30-40k hit just to get out of it I absolutely hate the place and have been holding out moving in for over 3 months but my insurance company said they will only cover my other home for a few more weeks. I would like to sell both and just move somewhere else altogether. Its been a living nightmare.
I'm in a similar situation and wondering what your outcome was. Are you dealing with the situation ok or still not happy?
Flag Wed Sep 16, 2015
Audrey.victor, Home Buyer, Fair Lawn, NJ
Tue Aug 25, 2015
I just bought a house that I thought I loved. The main reason for the move is to have the bedroom on the first floor (our other home is a colonial). I already loved the house I was in for the last 23 years - we had remodeled replaced about everything in the house. Now that I have the keys to the new house I see all the things the need work - kitchen and master bath, mainly, which we knew about. Plus flooring and paint It is a bigger, more expensive house and the utility bills will be higher too I expect. I am on the verge of tears every few hours or a panic attack - what did I do? my husband and I are near retirement age, and thought this would be the last house. the positives is that it is in a quiet well maintained area and it is a beautiful home. (but so was my other home). We have not sold our old home and I am thinking should we sell the new one before it is too late?
anniebee12, Home Buyer, Baxter, MN
Mon May 4, 2015
Does anyone still respond to this thread? I just bought a townhouse and am so depressed -- I made the wrong decision. I haven't moved in there yet and am dreading it.

I'd looked at 40 places or so and the two I really liked were sold in bidding war, and I didn't win the bidding wars because by the time my realtor could show me the place, there were already 3 offers. She told me the housing market is so hot, I needed to make a decision in an hour -- waiting several hours was just too long. So basically the next place I saw that I liked I bought -- I had only seen it once, the other realtor said he had another buyer lined up when I wasn't sure after the inspection.

My kids are grown and I was looking to be part of a new community, have neighbors, a view etc. But this place didn't have anything really wrong with it other than I may need to replace the kitchen counters and some window treatments. So I figured it was the best I could do rather than chase real estate and always show up last because my realtor needs a lot of notice because she's busy. It's basically a boring looking place in a really boring part of town with nothing around it and I regret not getting the one on the lake with the walking paths and a community more my age (over 50). This new townhouse community apparently has a lot of renters and absolutely no soul. But I figured the appliances are new, it's priced pretty low -- there's nothing really wrong with it, close to work for now. And I am so mad at myself for choosing this place because now I am stuck! I have owned 5 homes in the past and the realtor I have is the worst by far -- met her at an open house and she was helpful and friendly but clearly just wanted to make fast money. Haven't talked to her since I signed in the dotted lines, she never made it to the inspection, she emails things with directions to sign and drop this off or drop that off. I am trying to figure out how long I have to stay there to recoup my money. I am really down on myself for blowing this. I am dreading the closing in a few weeks and worse -- moving in and living there. I am not going to like it. Also, I have always lived in first ring suburbs and now I'm, stuck in Eden Prarie -- there's nothing to do anywhere near where I am going to be moving. I can't believe I blew it so much. I can barely stand the thought of packing.
I sold our home of 23 years. thinking it was time to move on. I have big time sellers remorse. my college age kids are upset that we moved. they cant come back to the home they grew up in. I miss all the things that I had grown accustom to. I built an addition, remodeled the kitchen and finished the basement. all my friends questioned why we would sell such a great house that we put so much work into. I regret selling! the new home needs upgrades, its 1980ish. we only moved 5 miles away and got an acre of land but it is overwhelming. on top of that, I went from 15 years to pay off mortgage to 30 years. I really made a big mistake. I think I fell in love with the land and looked past the inside of the house and the work that needs to be done. also, the neighbors, well, they keep to themselves. our old neighbor hood had the sounds of children playing and parents talking with each other as they walked down the street. I am numb, apathetic, and burst out crying when I am by myself.
Flag Fri Jun 19, 2015
anniebee12, Home Buyer, Baxter, MN
Mon May 4, 2015

Melissa, Both Buyer And Seller, Kenmore, NY
Mon Mar 16, 2015
I am in the same boat. I left a house that was almost paid for, worst part is I can't explain why I moved. I hate it here, it is a beautiful neighborhood but I've had nothing but trouble here. I am a single mom and, in retrospect, this is a horrible financial move. I can't explain my actions, this house is nothing that I would want. I have always been afraid of two things in a house, water & bugs. I've been here for a few months and I have had water pouring into my family room, town sewage backing into my basement for three days, & now cluster flies. All I do is cry, it's crippling me. I stand to lose a ton of money if I sell in one year of purchase. I'm trying to figure out how long I have to stay here to minimize my loss.
The law of attraction is the name given to the maxim "like attracts like" which in New Thought philosophy is used to sum up the idea that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts a person brings positive or negative experiences into their life.[1][2] This belief is based upon the idea that people and their thoughts are both made from "pure energy", and the belief that like energy attracts like energy. One example used by Lisa Nichols in the film 'The Secret' is as follows: "Every time you look inside your mail expecting to see a bill, guess what? It'll be there. Each day you go out dreading the bill, you're never expecting anything great, you're thinking about debt, you're expecting debt. So debt must show up.....it showed up, because the law of attraction is always being obedient to your thoughts."
Just for all of us crying about the housing! Our houses are not so bad guys! There is always some positive aspect in the house or around! see also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C9
Flag Tue Jul 28, 2015
I'd be interested in knowing what how you are now doing? I am on this thread because I also am a single mom, bought a home that is crippling me financially and I realize also that it was not a good move..
Flag Mon May 11, 2015
Michael Dolan, Agent, Somerville, NJ
Thu Feb 12, 2015
I'm curious to know how long you've owned it, what is making you sad and what were the reasons you decided to buy it? Could it be just the change? Moving is very stressful. Some people handle it differently and feel more emotional. My question is are you feeling sad about the house or just feeling sad?
I'm not sure if you were responding to my post or not, but I'm going to assume you were. I've owned the house for 6 months. It's not the change, it's the neighborhood. Chickens live next door to me which causes my dog to bark which causes my neighbors to curse me out. BBQing the front yard, for heavens sake, use you're dang back yard, people yelling at their kids in their driveway like some kind of redneck. Junk cars on blocks and this is an upscale neighborhood, so I thought. The price tag for the home sure dictated that it was. Anyway, all of the above is NOT allowed as per the restrictions, which I thought when I bought in full force, but nooooooo, hasn't been active for years, so it's beautiful homes with trashy people. I can't stand it!!!! I cry everyday - I'm selling this spring at a loss of about $15K. Plan to rent a cheap apt until I can pay myself back the $15k, then I may buy again, but more likely not.
Flag Mon Feb 16, 2015
Colleen Cold…, Agent, Fair Lawn, NJ
Wed Sep 3, 2014
It's absolutely not crazy to want to sell. You need to love your home. I'd love to help you. Please feel free to contact me through my Trulia Profile.
Laury Woodru…, Home Buyer, Saint Louis, MO
Tue May 20, 2014
What ever happened? I just moved into a new house, & I'm crying every day & night. I'm miserable. My husband is so upset bc I'm "ruining" what should be the best time of our lives.
my husband told me today that I was ruining his high that he should have for buying first home.I wake up every morning crying and I'm crying right now just hate this house and I think I knew before we closed but we had been looking for so long and needed to leave the place we were living in that we just kind of jumped in.don't know what to do with this. Does anyone know if its possible to lease this house and buy another house if we had the funds?
Flag Mon Dec 1, 2014
Sugarcamp, Home Buyer, Rhinelander, WI
Fri Aug 2, 2013
This happens a lot to people. We had our house for sale and the house next door was for sale. Smaller home with fireplace. The people bought that house because of the fireplace and realized later they could look right into their bedroom from the living room the house was that small. They later told us the mistake they made and would have rather had our home.
The second house we sold the same thing happened.
Why not sell if you really do not like it. It's better for you to have the right home.
Noknee, Home Buyer, Fair Lawn, NJ
Fri May 10, 2013
What happened....did we all fall into the lower interest rate and thought this so-called home would work? I will take me 200,000 to fix up this 600,000 home. Advantage--water and on one-acre. House ten years old...worst contracting work I have ever seen. Bad inspector (gave us are money back). Now there is an odor in the kitchen that is a sweet musky odor and no one can find it. I have even had underneath the house inspected and no mold. I have painted all the vinyl and particle board but it still smells. We don't even have a master bathroom as it had to be ripped out after Sandy and the house had to be jacked up....tell me about your woes...I have list that does not stop. Does anyone know about the odor. We are on septic and well but it is not coming from there...had that inspected too.
Little late in my response. We have a terrible odor coming from crawl space.
Flag Fri Nov 22, 2013
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Mon Aug 20, 2012
since this question was posted just over 3 years ago, it would be interesting to find out what the poster ultimately did.
Sarah Seaman, Agent, Cedar Park, TX
Sat May 19, 2012
One option you may consider is to lease the property out until the market recovers and then you can sell the home.
Stu, Home Owner, Middletown, NY
Fri May 18, 2012
I really love the house but can't stand the neighbors!! called 911 3 times already.. Can't sell because of the market!! What do I do///
You may want to consider renting it and looking for a another home if your finances support that option. Tom Hinz http://www.shortsaletosell.com
Flag Thu Aug 27, 2015
Sergio Herna…, , Naples, FL
Wed Jan 19, 2011
Not if it will keep you from crying!
Web Reference:  http://www.golftobeach.com
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Jan 19, 2011
I am so sorry to hear from the buyers who regret their home buying decisions. A certain amount of Buyer's Remorse" is to be expected. Long after the glow of the moment subsides, the realty of the responsibility and demands of home ownership set in. But dealing with this AND regrets about the home choice itself, it tough.

To those that have bought, I recommend taking a step back and remembering what caused you to buy the home in the first place. It sounds like more than a few were influenced by the tax credit. I had a buyer who was close to a similar experience - as the deadline approached, very thoughtful and measured review was turning into rapid fire decisions and offers on anything remotely close to a fit. The buyer missed the deadline and felt badly at the time - in hindsight it was lucky indeed. Prices continued to decline AND interest rates did as well - the combination of the two more than made up for the tax credit savings. When we went out for our first house shopping trip after, it was clear that everything we were seeing then was better than anything we saw at the end when the near frenzy of home buying had depleted inventory choices.

I suspect there are more than a few stories like yours out there. My suggestion is to remember what motivated you to buy the home in the first place and if those things still make sense to you, carry on. It may take some time, but I am optimistic that today's buyers will build equity in time. If they do not make sense, then crunch the numbers and if a change can be justified - ie, doe not deteriorate your situation more than the status quo, consider making a change.

Good luck to you all,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Ndchick, Home Owner, North Dakota
Tue Jan 18, 2011
We just bought a house in north dakota. We moved from the twin cities, mn. We got first time home buyers too. We wanted to move back to be close to family. The market here is crap. All the houses need major updates! Everything is from the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's and still selling for around 140,000 to 200,000. If you want a new house, you will pay around 200,000 to 300,000 and they look like basic boxes! The pay for good jobs sucks! I work in healthcare and my hubby is working with a Master's degree. We bought the house that wouldn't make us house poor, but wasn't a complete dive. We bought a house from the 50's and are updating it. However, the neighborhood sucks and the people don't take care of their lawns or have any curb appeal. I am afraid it will ruin our chances of moving someday! Even if our house is nice, those around us don't care at all! I am not sure if it is the oil boom up here, but everything is out of hand. This state is becoming a wasteland of oil rigs, oil workers, wind farms, and powerplants! Yuck! The weather is worse than I can remember! I have major cabin fever and I don't even like our house! It's hard to even work on it in -30 temps and snow piled up to our roof! Why the hell did we move back here! I want to cry everyday about this decision that we made. We moved for family and so our parents could see their new grandbaby, but we never see them (no effort on their part). It's sad.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Mon Jan 10, 2011
So Hawke - since this question was resurrected, and you asked it almost 1 1/2 years ago.......do you like the house any better now?
Are you still living there?
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Mon Jan 10, 2011
I wouldn't make any "snap" decisions. I would wait it out at least a few months, maybe a few seasons if you can manage it.

But if you're crying every day, based on how unhappy you are with the house you purchased, I think you would be insane to stay! (of course, be prepared to lose some money).

I'm so unhappy also,it is insane and crying too.The stories make me feel better, not alone.We bought from mom in law, she was going to loose it to the bank. She had it on the market, it didn't sell, she had to declare bankruptcy and lost her business in the great recession. We bought low and cleaned her slate and in turn filled ours up and it has ruined our marriage. We figured(wrong)that we would live here 3 years or so until the kids went to college and then list it. Did reno and listed it 2.5 years ago.Well the last kid finished college and we had one offer this year and their financing fell through.Our marriage is suffering.I wish we had let the bank take it from mom in law and moved to where we wanted to instead.I am secluded, in pain,drained.( fibromyalgia)Just lowered the price again.I yell at my hubby, crying all the time.I don't care if we make any money on it. I want to rent it out and move.He won't.I try to be patient but so sad we got sucked into this relationship killer.
Flag Thu Aug 18, 2016
Stressedout, , Ponte Vedra, FL
Sat Sep 12, 2009
No I do not think so - in fact I just did the exact same thing!!! We just moved into our home a week ago and I know I made a huge mistake - I hate the house and do not like the area we moved into to - I feel like we are in the middle of no where. Naturally my husband is not happy and wants me to give it a chance but I cry all the time I hate it that much. We had already sold our home and had not found another house and when we saw this builders model we jumped at it - what a mistake - in hind sight I know we should have rented - HUGE regret - I wish I could sell it and move out tomorrow I am distraught and very unhappy.
Jane Lampert, Agent, Glen Ellyn, IL
Tue Aug 18, 2009
First decide if your financial situation is such that you can afford to take a loss.

As you know, most buyers or their agents will have access to the public records indicating exactly what you paid for the property and, of course, they would be unwilling to pay more within such a short timeframe. Also, some potential buyers would tend to wonder why you are selling the property so quickly. They might jump to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the property and shy away from it as a result. Thus, be prepared to provide a reasonable answer as to why you are selling so quickly. You may have to accept less than what you paid depending on the market conditions. In my area, anyway, most buyers are looking to get a good deal. Your agent can provide you with more specifics regarding the costs to sell your home.

If you don’t want to take a loss, your best bet is to try and remedy the situation by adjusting to what you like and what you don’t like. Try to improve what you don’t like without spending a lot of money. If your dislikes are cosmetic perhaps an interior decorator or home stager can help improve the décor. Also, as mentioned in a previous answer, give yourself some time to get to know your neighbors. You may have to reach out and introduce yourself to some of your neighbors as people are busy and may not get around to stopping by on their own.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Mon Aug 17, 2009
I am so sorry you are unhappy.

Why do you hate it? Maybe you just need to give it some time to get adjusted. Moving can be very stressful - the entire homebuying process is stressful. The house probably feels strange to you, but that will change in time.

My advice would be to take a deep breath, and give yourself a few months to settle in. Make an effort to meet the neighbors...........learn your way around the neighborhood.
Maybe some new decorating or painting will help you feel more at home......will make it feel more like YOUR home.

If, after several months you are still so unhappy, then speak with your agent, and see what the market conditions are. I don't see any realistic possiblity that you will be able to sell and not take a loss. Even if you get what you paid, there are real estate transfer fees, commissions, attorney fees and further moving expenses. Is it really worth it to go through all of that?
Can you afford to take a loss?
Only you will be able to decide.

Feel free to reach out to me if I can be of any help.
Hope things improve for you.

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
email me at: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewjersey.com
Carolyn Fent…, , 07825
Mon Aug 17, 2009
Before you sell. It's best to figure out what you want. Create a list of your goals. Be sure to cover all the areas of your life.

If a magical genie popped up in front of you and said, "I will grant you an unlimited supply of wishes," what would they be?

Nothing is too great or too small.

Hmmm...gets you thinking, doesn't it!

What do you desire most in life?
What experiences would you like to have?
What kind of health and fitness levels would you like to achieve?
What quality of relationships would you like to experience?
Where would you like to travel?
How much money would you like to have?
How would you like to spend it?

I'm looking into Feng Shui and how to create a healthier living and working environment. I found a neet website that you can find in my Services section on my website. She has quite a few videos, tips and suggestions for creating the optimum environment for you. Since you just moved in, it couldn't hurt to try. Feel free to contact me:)

I do not practice real estate in your area. I'm sure if you can't work it out any number of these fine Realtors can assist you with your sale.

Peace,

Carolyn Fenton
Realtor, GREEN
RE/MAX Ridge Real Estate
973-214-2166
1 2