I had a realtor list a house for me. In the year it was listed, they didn't show it or have an open house...do I have to pay them?

Asked by millerad1651, Indianapolis, IN Wed Mar 20, 2013

Answers

4
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Wed Mar 20, 2013
Did it sell, millerad? If it sells, then you have to pay them.
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Wed Mar 20, 2013
I hope you had a listing agreement with the Realtor's brokerage, there is usually time frame included and there is also term how to cancel a listing agreement. In general unless otherwise stated in the listing agreement (sometimes there are small advertising costs due whether it sells or not) the listing agent and his or her brokerage get paid the agreed upon total commission on the sale price, at the closing. If the
property listing does not lead to a contract and listing and closing there should be no commission due, unless the home owner / seller breaks a contract.

If in doubt have a real estate attorney have a look a the listing agreement....

Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Wed Mar 20, 2013
If it did not sell there is usually no payment required. Realtors work on a commission basis, no sale = no pay.
PollyAnna Sn…, Agent, Bozeman, MT
Wed Mar 20, 2013
Hi - look at the contract. If the "listing" expired, probably not. Is there a stated time/term after the listing expires that allows your Realtor to bring you an offer and acceptance for pay? Most listing agreements are for performance and not fee for service, so if no performance was rendered, no compensation will be due. A variable of a valid contract (listing agreement) is consideration for consideration, so if the home did not sell, no consideration was given you, so (more than likely - look at the contract again), no consideration will be due the broker and agent. Did the house sell? Hope this helps. Cheers.