I'd like to get released from the seller agreement. The agent or broker won't respond. What can I do?

Asked by Rljones, 77469 Thu Mar 29, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Guy Gimenez, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Mar 29, 2012
Fax, email and snail mail both the agent and the broker with your letter stating you are terminating the relationship. Make sure you get a confirmation of the fax and a return receipt on the snail mail. That's all that is necessary to be released from the standard listing agreements in Texas.
1 vote
Vidi Barker, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Thu Mar 29, 2012
Hi RLjones,
That is very unfortunate that the broker is not answering you. I would recommend going to the brokers office and asking to see the manager. Why do you want to cancel?
1 vote
Trust is #1 in any relationship. If you don't trust the agent and you feel like he is not earning his commission then you should definitely have a sit down with him and his manager. You can ask the manager to assign a different agent to your deal. If you ask them to completely release you, you may find some opposition. No broker wants to lose a deal so if you are ok with the broker just ask for another agent to represent you. There are several reasons why a deal falls through like cold feet, financing, or maybe they just found another property they liked more. As for the 100% financing you have to consider your risk and liability. I would recommend talking with a CPA to see if you can afford to take such a risk.

Your agent should never and legally can not change the price of your home without your wet signature. Before reducing your price always ask for statistics and proof that you are asking for too much. Best of Luck! If you need a referral for your area let me know.
Flag Thu Mar 29, 2012
We don't trust him. He was handling both sides of a deal that just fell thru 10 days before closing. I know he told me twice that he needed to represent these people because he had been showing them places for a year and that they were very strong buyers. Now he says he just met them at our house last month and that they are looking for 100% financing. We just want a fresh start with someone we feel we can trust. He also reduced our listing price on MLS to negotiated contract price without our permission. Now people will want to start negotiating from the what was the lowest price we were willing to take last month.
Flag Thu Mar 29, 2012
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Thu Mar 29, 2012
They aren't responding to you at all? Are they providing services? Or, have they gone out of business?

I would probably try a certified letter to the brokerage office. You might also see if the local or state REALTOR association can help connect you or guide you.

Beyond that, the listing agreement is probably a legally binding agreement, so you should seek legal advice.
1 vote
Jim Simms, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Louisville, KY
Fri Mar 30, 2012
Try contacting the state real estate commission or attorney general, I bet if the broker is still in business he will take their call .
0 votes
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Mar 29, 2012
Call and ask for office manager or broker.
They don't have to release you from the agreement in most cases.
it's a contract, but you might read through it and see if you can be released and under what circumstances.
Call, fax, FedEx, go to their office....hopefully one or all of those methods will get you some kind of response from them.

Sorry to hear about this lack of service.
0 votes
Albert Elhage, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Mar 29, 2012
As my colleagues suggested, it might be time for you to contact his/her broker. If you still not getting any responses. Sent a certified letter stating that you are canceling the contract and lodge a complaint at local board and The state agency governing Realtors.

Good luck,
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Mar 29, 2012
If no one is responding to your calls, consider a visit to the office, and or, report them to the local Board of Realtors, and or consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more