I closed on my house and they had to hold money in escrow because they could not find a title number for my

Asked by Cindy Sharpe, Home, WA Fri Aug 8, 2008

house it has been 6 years when should i recieve that money

Answers

5
Darryl Shurg…, Agent, Ronkonkoma, NY
Thu Aug 22, 2013
was this a mobile home? by 'Title Number' as in motor vehicle? This might be the original title number the mobile was issued by manufacturer, and when it was set on its' foundation it would have been recorded as real property and a deed created, thus eliminating the title.

If the home was never set on foundation then it would still have a title, not a deed (for example if the home was located in a mobile home park on land lease)

That happens, especially on older homes. A manufacturer's tag or plate might still be visible somewhere on the frame if you look for it. wipe the dust off, take a photo and try to track down the manufacturer if they are still around they would have record of their product serial number/title number.

otherwise you go to the courthouse with all your documentation of ownership etc. and ask for help what to do. In NY where we are an attorney state, this sort of thing gets resolved prior to or shortly after closing. West coast though, it's handled through 'escrow' companies....they can be shady with little recourse.

in any event, 6 years is too long to have your money sitting in escrow. Sounds like somebody just dropped the ball and forgot about you. Sorry to hear it.

If it's not a mobile home then this really sounds like you are being hoodwinked.
Cori Kaplan, , Huntington, NY
Sat Aug 9, 2008
Hi Cindy,

Your question is difficult to answer. A title number is something assigned to your file once the title report is requested. If you rephrase it perhaps I can help you. I am a realtor but I am also a licensed attorney in the State of NY. Please feel free to call me directly, 631-944-8829.
Web Reference:  http://www.corikaplan.com
Jaishree Zil…, Agent, Woodbury, NY
Sat Aug 9, 2008
Please call your closing attorney ( whom you used for your Real estate Transaction) and ask him/her status of this matter, also call your Title Company, Escrow Company may have an answer. Follow up and Good Luck.....
Phil Svendsen, , Huntington, NY
Fri Aug 8, 2008
In my opijnion, six years seems to be very long time for money to be held in escrow for a situation of this sort or for anything else for that matter. Suggest you talk to your original attorney on this and have him check his notes in the old closing files. I'm sure he will have an answer for you after a couple of well placed calls and probably the matter will be resolved without a problem.
Ute Ferdig, Agent, Newcastle, CA
Fri Aug 8, 2008
Hello Cindy. You should contact the escrow company a.s.a.p. and follow up with them to find out what happened. The escrow company cannot release the funds without the buyer's (i.e., new owner's) written consent. Typically, escrow companies will not wait that long to get a decision regarding the disposition of the funds that were held back in escrow. Does the buyer who purchased from you even still own the property? Again, I would start with the escrow company and find out what happened. Good luck to you.