I am selling my house in Pasadena. It needs a lot of work and I am worried about the city Occupancy Inspection. Can I be removed from my home?

Asked by irishgemmm, Los Angeles, CA Wed Apr 17, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mypegasis, Home Buyer, Pasadena, CA
Wed Aug 26, 2015
You can, but I will buy your house for cash. Please call me as I can help you.! Please do call!!!
Will Stageberg
818-394-6316, 818-395-3669
0 votes
Al Goldberg, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Thu Apr 18, 2013

Yes I have seen occupants removed from their home and the homes red tagged because of code violations.

I suggest for your protection to remove this question as many cities and counties have been looking on websites like this and the MLS for mention of code violations to fine homeowners because the government is broke.

I know of one city that had a grand jury investigation because of this, and there may be more cities under investigation for these abuses against the public.

Lets talk or email about this, I have seen worse I won't even put in print.

Al Goldberg
800-765-3609 Cell
0 votes
Timothy Xu, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
When you sell your home, if your house needs lot of work, it is okay, no need worry about Inspection. Feel free email me at: TimothyXu@KW.com and I will guide you. (Prefer use email here, thanks)
0 votes
Brandon Road, Agent, Pasadena, CA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
I have not heard of anyone being kicked out of their house for your situation. You are required to have a City Occupancy inspection done prior to close of escrow as you probably know.

The buyer will likely have that requirement written in the offer and part of their inspection contingency. If you are leaving the rest of the work to the new buyer, you can have the buyer agree, up front, to sign a waiver or transfer of responsibility. That form will need to be notarized and returned to the code compliance department.

If you are planning to finish the work yourself, you can attempt to obtain after the fact permits once the work is done or obtain permits before hand. You can also call the building department and ask general questions without giving your address for further clarification.

I have clients who are often in your shoes and sell properties that are partially done. The buyer usually assumes responsibility and the seller only has to order the occupancy inspection. I have never had anyone kicked out and I have a good relationship with the City Inspectors and their departments.

Here is a link to the city that may help as well and let me know if you have any other questions:
0 votes
Shahe Seuyle…, Agent, Pasadena, CA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
no you will not be removed from your property , unless the whole house is built without permits.. you can easily find out from the city when was the last inspection done , and what additions do you have on the house , I will be happy to get you the information , let me know
0 votes
Jenny Durling…, Agent, Los Feliz, CA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
From the description of the condition of your property, it sounds like you are going to need a cash buyer or one buyer with a 401k renovation loan. If you are working with an agent, these questions can be posed to him or her. If not, it's in your best interest to enlist the assistance of an agent.

As stated here, the buyer can waive the city occupancy permit. If you sell to an investor or property flipper they would likely be willing to waive since they will be doing work on the property anyway.

I've never heard of anyone being evicted from their own house do to it being 'under construction' so you should be fine. Please contact me if I can be of any further assistance,
0 votes
Mardelli Real…, Agent, Pasadena, CA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
It really depends on what work is needed and if it is un-permitted work or not. The city Occupancy can also be waived by the buyer and that is something you can work out in escrow. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Best wishes
Norma Mardelli
Coldwell Banker Pasadena
0 votes
Kenneth Coll…, Agent, Palmdale, CA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
As working with various licensed contractors in the Pasadena area, & being a licensed contractor for 12 years - I am especially aware of the code restrictions and "roving" inspectors looking for issues on SFR. I would suggest that you do as much cleaning up as possible, minor repairs to fit your budget and then work with an agent that knows the building code departments and inspectors to help minimize your costs.
I have sold or worked on several units in that area and I'm willing to assist you including the listing of your home. Let me know if you need my services.

Ken Collins - Broker Owner - #01294113
Exclusive Estate Properties
818.517.1771 cell
0 votes
Matt Helganz, Agent, Pasadena, CA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
Just make sure that you make the repairs prior to the inspector coming through the home. You usually want to wait until you are ready to market the home or have an offer that you are ready to accept.

See more on my blog post here:

0 votes
Matt Helganz, Agent, Pasadena, CA
Wed Apr 17, 2013
No you will not be removed from your home but they can require you to make the repairs prior to closing escrow or at the very least have you transfer the liability to the new buyer who will then have to make the required repairs shortly after closing. I wrote a blog on this issue in regards to the sidewalk in Pasadena which can also cause a violation on your inspection.

If you do have the inspector come through and fail to sell the property you will have alerted them to the issues though

Do you have a Realtor that knows the Pasadena area well? I can certainly walk you through this and explain any potential pitfalls
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more