I am selling my home which is is a great area, but is it worth even listing on the MLS?

Asked by Happy Space, Albuquerque, NM Thu Apr 25, 2013

I am selling my home which is located in the Sawmill Community Land Trust (New houses north of Old Town & South of I-40). Being that investors cannot buy on the trust land and Realtors will not get a commission, is it even worth even listing my house on the MLS? I have a co-worker who can list it for me on MLS for a few bucks. I just need a general mass consensus if it is a smart thing to do or a waste of money/effort. Again, realtors will NOT get any commissions....

Answers

5
Leigh-Jo Anz…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Thu Apr 25, 2013
Hello Happy Space,

If it's Internet exposure that you're looking for, entering it into the MLS will achieve this, but I believe what you're wanting is your home sold, not simply archived with every real estate website that has an IDX feed to the local MLS.

I won't sugar coat it, if you don't plan to offer a commission, then as you imagine, all of the qualified buyers with agents, will likely never see your home.

If you're wanting to avoid paying a commission, you're going to need to heavily market your home to attempt attract a qualified buyer who is comfortable with buying a home without personal representation.

You'll want to set a budget and target your audience. The last thing you want to do is settle for just a sign in the yard.

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
Web Reference:  http://www.Syan.com
No problem. Strike while the iron's hot. This is the best listing time of the year, so take advantage of it. Best wishes.
Flag Thu Apr 25, 2013
A great response. Thank you very much Leigh-Jo! Helpful!
Flag Thu Apr 25, 2013
Sonia Rodrig…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Thu Apr 25, 2013
You serious about selling your home or you're just trying the market? I understand that you want to save money but it has worked you now? when you hire a real estate agent, we prepared from Asher conoser advertising people who are qualified to buy now, how to handle the transaction and most importantly sell in the shortest time period and protect your money. If you need more information I can help call me 505 369 9126
Sonia - I am 150% serious but I don't want to screw myself over by being overly hasty or making mistakes. Being it is on a land trust the resale process is a bit different than traditional home sales. All proceeds I might make from the sale would be 100% engulfed by realtors fees. I did not need/use a realtor when I purchased 6+ years ago. Their website is http://www.sawmillclt.org if you want to learn more about their unique mission and buy/sell processes....
Flag Fri Apr 26, 2013
Maria Morton, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Thu Apr 25, 2013
The whole thing sounds a bit iffy to me. Can you actually sell it or is it one of the areas of New Mexico in court over title and ownership disputes? If it is one of those, no one can buy or sell it until the court rules. I can understand the trust, or any HOA, having rules about investors buying but I have never heard of a property being sold which can have no realtor involvement. As for a part-time real estate agent offering you a limited service listing on the MLS, please check with the local real estate board and your local MLS to see if that is allowed, legal, ethical.
Steve Quinta…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Thu Apr 25, 2013
I suggest you start by re-reading the sale rules in your file and consult with the Sawmill administration to determine how to maximize your resale. There may be a ready pool of qualified buyers ready and willing to pay the top allowable dollar. If so, no MLS listing is needed. If not, you question can be addressed.
Being that is has been "on the market" through the Sawmill (not on MLS) for several months now, I have drawn the conclusion that other avenues of action to get it sold must be taken at this point.
Flag Thu Apr 25, 2013
Max Sklower, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Tue May 7, 2013
Dear Happy Space. Sounds your Space might lack Happiness.

I would be happy to learn more about what you want to do. However, if someone wants to list it for you for a few dollars then I would advise you to do that. I guess he or she will receive nothing.

If that does not work let me know more about your property and i will be happy to consult with you at no charge.

Max Sklower
Owner of Broadcast Realty
email: realtyperson@gmail.com
Phone 505-822-8864
3620 Wyoming, NE Suite 100
Albuqueraue, NM 8711