I am selling a Townhome in Deerfield Beach, should I get a Realtor?

Asked by Paloma, Deerfield Beach, FL Fri May 2, 2008

I am selling the home in for what I owe the bank. So, my property is beeing sold for less than other homes in the same community. If I get a Realtor, I would have to raise the price to the same price that everyone is selling. So, I can cover the realtor expense. But it will give me more exposure. Should I get a realtor?

Answers

11
Jeannette Ne…, Agent, Tamarac, FL
Fri May 2, 2008
Are you trying to sell it for less of what you owe your bank? I would definetley say go with a Realtor. Many people think they are better off doing it all on there own. But like you said you get more exposure when with an agent. Your agent will look out for what is best for you.
I would suggest you speak with more than one agent and feel comfortable with the one you choose to go with. I would love to meet with you, if you would like call me at 954-993-4104 or email me at Jeannette@Neerpat.com
Web Reference:  http://www.neerpat.com
Neil Blair-B…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Sat Nov 24, 2012
Paloma,

interview a number of agents and find out who is going to work in your best interests. Find out the marketing strategies that prospective agents would use to sell your home. Ask them to come up with a valuation before you tell them what you need to make. Look at the track record for those agents, have they successfully sold homes in your neighborhood recently?

In the long run, statistics show that most for sale by owners wind up listing the property with an agent. This is after they have spent time marketing their own property, scheduling their own showings etc. All the while this is costing time and money that would have been better spent working with a competent agent and getting the job done.

Best of luck and find that quality agent. From what I see here, there are very capable people to choose from.

Neil G. Blair-Bennett
Kathleen Str…, Agent, Delray Beach, FL
Fri Nov 23, 2012
Dear Paloma,
When Buyers see a for sale by owner they lower their offer on the home automatically. In order to give you the best marketing for your home and price it to conform with the other homes so it is appraised properly for the buyer, you should have a Realtor. Please contact me if I can be of service.
Kathy Strott
Realtor®
Mobile: 954.675.4155
"Thinking of Buying or Selling a Home, Call Me"
http://kathystrott.southfloridamls.com
Tammy Hayes, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Wed Oct 20, 2010
Using a Realtor versus for sale by owner in selling your home
What really helps sell your home? The MLS (multiple listing service). It is a large network of properties for sale through brokers that practically every local Realtor is a member of. Those agents have clients who buy your home. The MLS exposes your home to thousands of potential buyers. When you sell your home yourself you are only exposed to buyers who see your ad in the newspaper, maybe on ads such as Craigslist, and those who drive by your house.

The main reason most people list their house as a For Sale By Owner (FSBO) is because they don't want to pay the broker a real estate commission. But what is entailed in this commission? Realtors provide a wide variety of services to their customers beyond selling the property. Typically a Realtor will list the property in the MLS and several other web sites on the Internet, place an ad in the newspaper or home magazine, send out for sale postcards and e-mails, design a property features flyer, hold an open house, put a for sale sign in the front yard, work with pre-qualified buyers, and negotiate the deal.

Time is of the essence and time means money. A Realtor will help in other ways as well. They can provide a free market analysis on the home which includes comparable homes already sold and homes currently on the market. A homeowner typically prices their home based on what they think their home should be worth. This pricing is based on very little accurate data.

A Realtor will take professional photographs and post them in the MLS. A Realtor will complete all of the necessary state required real estate forms. As a FSBO, do you know what is required and how to get these forms? A Realtor will add the listing to their web site, set up appointments to show the property, answer buyers questions, arrange for home inspections, help resolve issues prior to closing, attend final walk-throughs and lastly, attend the closing. All of these tasks can help sell your home at a higher price and therefore, helping to cut the costs of listing the home yourself.

Many web sites will give you helpful information on selling your house as a FSBO. It certainly works for some people. It largely depends on the market conditions in your area. Do your research before you make a decision on selling as a FSBO or working with a Realtor.
gabriel palo…, Agent, Pompano Beach, FL
Wed Oct 20, 2010
You never have to have a realtor. Only if it make sense. Like answering the phone for your adds, Showing your property in all hours whenever they call. . Put up with a number of low ball offers without showing emotions and be able to negotiate. Save the expense of an attorney to handle the escrow and write up your contract.
To do this and more for what realtors charge nothing unless it sells.
I think you could do this yourself like so many others but I think the results show that 97 % of the sellers find that the co-operative force of a listing in the MLS is irreplaceable.
In the end the cost that they thought they save is spent on the time it took to sell. How many months of taxes, insurance, mortgage payments you need to make before time becomes a factor? Pricing your home is not always enough.
Jeff Holloway, Agent, Sebastian, FL
Thu Jul 29, 2010
If you sell your home for what you owe... you still have closing costs that need to be factored in. Nowadays, short sales demand to have a knowledgable agent.
Dan Statland…, , 33442
Wed Apr 28, 2010
Dear Paloma,

Absolutely Yes.

Only a Realtor can ensure you will be getting the most money for your property. When you are trying to sell you want to get as much exposure to as wide a market as possible. A Realtor will advertise the property on the Multiple Listing Service. The property will be viewed by thousands of professional real Estate Agents that make their living purchasing and selling real estate for customers. In my opinion they are the best body of people to help me sell my property for the most money in the least amount of time. Of course Time equals Money…(mortgage payment, taxes insurance maintenance etc)

Dan Statlander
http://statelandbrown.com
p: 561.542.7338
e: dstatlander@statelandbrown.com
Web Reference:  http://statelandbrown.com
John Palmisa…, , Weston, FL
Mon Oct 6, 2008
Paloma, find a realtor, because you will need to price this correctly for the property to sell. if you try on your own and fail you might end up owing more than the house is worth. You need to look at the pending sales, active, and sold in the last 90 days. You also need to compare apples to apples when pricing your home, which is difficult to do when you are a FSBO. Also, your mortgage statement is not your payoff. interest on the mortgage is always in the arrears. So when you pay October's payment you are paying the interest for September. Get a payoff letter from your lender, it will cost you about $25.00 but it is worth it.
Stelios Styl…, Agent, Wellington, FL
Thu Jul 10, 2008
Hello Paloma,

If you haven't sold your home already, my experienced and knowledgeable team can help you and your family MOVE FORWARD. Don't hesitate to contact me in confidence. Thank-you.

Stelios Stylianou
Marketing Specialist
stelios@stelsells.com
561.542.4131
Web Reference:  http://www.stelsells.com
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Fri May 2, 2008
Paloma
You need a Realtor who is a short sale expert. I do not know all the details, but just based on your post it would be better for you to get the facts on your home's true value and your options. Setting the price based on the mortgage balance is my first clue that you need professional representation.

Time is of the essence. Do not "test the market". And what's more, most Realtors can help you more than you know. And you need help.
Tobias Kaiser…, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fri May 2, 2008
Paloma,

research shows year after year that typically realtors will achieve higher selling prices than private sellers can, and the exposure through a realtor cannot be matched otherwise.

I would interview two or three realtors, and then hire the best pro you can get.

Good luck and all the best to you,

Tobias Kaiser, MS, CIPS
Greater Fort Lauderdale Real Estate Broker + Consultant
Certified International Property Specialist