I am moving out of a four year old home. The inspection revealed the the builder (MI) did not follow the code. Do I have legal recourse?

Asked by Boyne, Carmel, IN Thu Aug 29, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Kristin Tomyn, Agent, Carmel, IN
Thu Aug 29, 2013
The first question is -- did you have an independent inspection when you bought the home ? Many people that buy new construction just assume the builder does everything right and that is a mistake. Many of the reputable builders will correct things if you go back to them even after the builder warranty expires (which yours clearly has). Still others will not. Depending on how gross the violation was I would ask them. Code changes happen all the time. Virtually every home that is out there will have something that is out of code 12 months later. Its not required that you bring a home up to code even though many buyers will ask for things to be fixed. "Safety items" noted on inspection reports are often actually code changes. Call or email if you have further questions. Kristin Tomyn Century 21 Scheetz - Carmel, IN ktomyn@c21scheetz.com 317-430-5558
1 vote
Thanks Kristen. I did not have the inspection when I bought the house as I had an inspection done on another house that I decided not to buy and my realtor told me that I didn't need to do an inspection on a new house. Obviously, a big mistake. The problems identified in the inspection are not new changes to the code-i.e. installing the wrong type of insulation in the crawl space. Thanks for taking the time to write an answer.
Flag Mon Sep 2, 2013
Peter Knight, Agent, Fishers, IN
Fri Aug 30, 2013
I agree with Kristens answer. Talk with MI. But you are not required to repair if code has changed since the house was built.
0 votes
Linda Lorenzo, Agent, McKinney, TX
Thu Aug 29, 2013
You would need to check with the city government that handles building permits, etc they should be able to assist you with what you need to do. Hopefully, the builder is still around so you may have some recourse against them.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more