I am looking to sell my 2 family home. How can I choose the best agent & are commissions now less than 6%?RBK

Asked by Lisa Clark, Rhinebeck, NY Sat Dec 13, 2008

Answers

8
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Sun Dec 14, 2008
I agree that a referral is a great place to start. But you want a referral from someone who has personal experience with the agent they're referring. Either a friend or family member who has used them before (as rockin' said... preferably recently)...

or a Realtor that you "know" (not one of us typing-icons online that you do NOT know) giving you a referral to an agent in your area who will then sent a portion of their commission back to us as a finder's fee.

Once you've got that referral.. that does not negate the need to ask those important questions (as Rockin' outlined below from that incredibly talented Elv!s guy that he's quoting. :-)
Chris Hacken…, , Rhinebeck, NY
Sat Feb 28, 2009
Lisa, give me a call at 876.7523 or email me through my site. I'm right here in Rhinebeck and one of the top producing agent/brokers with Paul Hallenbeck. Visit my site at http://www.chrishackenbrockrealestate.com for more info, and be sure to visit my Testimonials page. Thx!
Margo Ramsey, , Poughkeepsie, NY
Mon Dec 15, 2008
Lisa,
The answer here depends on what you are looking for. There are discount brokerages and then there are full service brokerages. No commission is every written in stone. Each one is negotiable, just a word to the wise, as with anything, you get what you pay for. If you want above average service and professionalism, it won't happen with an agency that just puts the listing on the MLS and then does nothng else. Talk to people you know who have recently sold to see how they made out and with whom. Interview at least 3 agents from 3 different agencies. Have questions written out and ask each agent the same questions. Then later you can evaluate each one. Listen to each agent for what he/she has to offer. Experience and success are two characteristics you want to pay particular attention to Good luck and if there is anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to contact me. One further thought, once you put your home on the market, make sure the tenants are aware and agreeable. Sometimes tenants make it impossible to show their homes.
Margo Ramsey
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sun Dec 14, 2008
Lisa
Two suggestions:
Worry less about the commission and more about the bottom line. I suggest interviewing three REaltors and comparing their proposals.

If you look at the link below you can see that you are in a declining market, so you need an expert who can expose the best value of your homes so the buyers will have to see it for themselves. If you would like a referral to a Realtor that is in the top ten percent of your area, please contact me and I will arrange it.

Keith
Terri Doming…, , Miami, FL
Sun Dec 14, 2008
Lisa, some key considerations in choosing the best agent are

(1) expertise and track record in local market, years in the business,

(2) membership in National Association of Realtors a must (only NAR members are REALTORS),

(3) customized marketing plan for your property, including most important Internet presence (multiple photos, virtual tours), color property brochures, weekend and twilight open houses, etc.,

(4) realistic reccomended range of value, as validated by an accurate market analysis,

(5) if referred by a trusted source that has had a positive experience with that agent,

(6) agent's and broker/franchise national and global networking resources,

(7) availability of agent, method of communication and regular reporting, reliance on assistants and/or backup while absent on vacation or conventions, and

(8) whether during the interview process you feel a certain chemistry with that agent as you will be interacting with him/her frequently.

Commissions are negotiable; however, I feel that in today's challenging market you should expect to pay at least a 6% brokerage fee and to list the property for a realistic period of time (depending on turn-around time in your market). High inventory levels affect the days on market and therefore the agent's marketing costs. We Realtors are Independent Contractors working strictly on commission, without benefits. Marketing dollars come out of our pockets, and advertising is expensive. Commissions are shared with the selling agent, the broker, and additional fees to the Franchise (if there's one) must be paid. You will find some agents that will provide "a-la-carte" services for a lower fee, but your exposure will be lessened and your goal is to sell the property quickly and for the highest bottom line to you - and your net has more to do with accurate, realistic pricing and agressive marketing than commissions.

Hope this helps, Lisa ... good luck in your selection! Do let me know if you need a top-not Century 21 agent in your area, and I'll be more than happy to recommend a colleague. We have over 8,000 offices worldwide, in 58 countries and territories. Terri

Terri Dominguez, REALTOR®
ABR, AHWD, ALHS, BBA, CIPS, CRS, ePRO, GRI, TRC
Senior Broker Associate, Master Brokers Forum Member
Century 21 Premier Elite Realty
305-898-7028, direct line
terri.dominguez@century21.com
http://www.terridominguez.com

Your REALTOR® - Global Resources, Local Expertise.
Maria Morton, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Sun Dec 14, 2008
I doubt that you will get the best agent if they are willing to work for less.
John Durso, Agent, Yorktown Heights, NY
Sat Dec 13, 2008
Hi Lisa,
I am a Top Producing agent located just down the road from you in the Town of Poughkeepsie. I sell many homes each year, both Single Family and Multi Family. I will gladly answer any questions you have about my performance history or my company. I would love to have the opportunity to be interviewed and show you what my marketing program can do for you. Visit my website below and see my current listings and my long list of sold homes. I have increased my volume of sales each year I have been in business. I have sold more homes this year, in this market than ever before. Call me direct at 845-591-5274 if I can be of help to you.
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Sat Dec 13, 2008
A Realtor should be hired based on their integrity, experience and content of their written Marketing Plan.

I disagree with Rockinblu...a referral is best; however, it does not mean you should hire the referral...it means the referral should be one of the Realtors chosen to be interviewed for the job.

I would be happy to recommend someone in Rhinebeck if want assistance. I can be reached off line at Gail@GailGladstone.com. By the way, my designations are CIPS, TRC, RECS, SRES and CIC.
Web Reference:  http://GailGladstone.com