When you do connect with a realtor, interview them and ask them about short sales. Some of the questions may include:
1. How many short sales have you worked on?
2. Did you represent buyers or sellers in the short sale? A seller's agent has a lot more work to do on a short sale and needs to understand how the process works and what the loss mitigators at the bank(s) expect.
3. Have them explain the short sale process to you?
4. Ask them about what they would need to do first?
5. Ask them which banks they worked with. Each bank unfortunately has their own requirements.
Hope this helps.
I would suggest going to the tab on Trulia that says "Find a Pro". Read as much as you can on the Real Estate Agent. If you're still not convinced, ask for referral testimonials.....in writing.
Best of Luck!
I have done short sales before. Honestly, not in Downtown LA but other parts of LA. If you are looking specifically for an agent that works Downtown, please shoot me an email and I'd be happy to give you a referral. If not, I'd be more than happy to help.
Keller Williams Wilshire
The Reavis Group