I am interested in selling my home in Oak Hill Park. I want to try to sell without an agent. Can you give me any hints to increase my chances?

Asked by Susan Faber, Newton, MA Sun Apr 10, 2011

3 bedrooms, 1 bath. All new inside. Large dinning room and living room with outside deck off dinning room. New window treatments and wood floors. Also has new heating system and is air conditioned. Thank you.

Answers

14
Kevin and Ju…, Agent, Wildomar, CA
Sat Feb 11, 2012
Good answers below - good luck!
Mary Ann Fig…, Agent, Newton, MA
Sun Apr 10, 2011
Hi Susan,
Hire a professional photographer, write good headlines and use a stager if possible. The combination of all three will bring buyers to your house.
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Mon Mar 19, 2012
Clean/organize the home, repaint if needed, neutralize the style so it appeals to the masses, stage it with good furniture (lots of places rent furn), take great pictures and get the property in the MLS via an FSBO company. Also, make a landing page web site for your property with pictures, etc.

We have a great FSBO referral that has helped buyers sell their own properties all the way up to the milions.
Email us (or contact us direct through trulia) for the contact info:
Help@territory.com

http://territory.com/
Web Reference:  http://territory.com/
Tean Wong, Agent, Boston, MA
Sat Mar 17, 2012
Susan,

I really hope that you have put the house on the market and have sold it by now considering this was a very old question. If that is not the case, you should really take the comment of local agents's comment seriously. Selling real estate is not easy but not difficult.....but it definitely need a lot of attention and experience. Other best advise I can give you is go out to the open houses, study the market and you competitors. At least you will understand the current market trend, but still you need to know some of the market history in the past 6 to 12 months. Do your homework. And please consider working(compensate) with buyer agents, because 94% of buyers are represented by agent.

Very best of luck to you.
Barry F. Coh…, Agent, Newton, MA
Sat Feb 11, 2012
Susan,
I would strongly recommend you hire a professional Realtor. A qualifed Realtor can help expose your home to the largest buyer-pool possible, which is the key to selling your home quickly with a smooth transaction! Market statistics suggest that a home sells for more money and quicker, with an agent - so in the long run you'll NET MORE MONEY using an agent - even with paying a commission.

At Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage in Newton Center, we sell more Newton homes than any other firm!

Anna Glebova, , Newton, MA
Sat May 7, 2011
Hi Susan,
You can certainly try to sell your home on your own. you just have to do what the agent does, :)
First thing to do is to figure out a budget. Even if you don't have your own agent and are doing his work yourself, you need to offer some compensation to the buyer's agent, or otherwise they will hardly bring their buyers to see your home. Very few if any buyers have an agreement when they are willing to pay their agents themselves, should they purchase a FSBO (for sale by owner). If you don't attract buyer's agents you might miss on huge pool of buyers.
Marketing expenses - from small ones (sign in the yard, brochures and print outs) to big ones (ads and other marketing materials)
Attorney fee - you really need a good one.

Prepare your house. Might consider hiring a cleaning service if you don't have one - many sellers find it helpful while the house is on the market.

You need to be available to accommodate showings. You can't restrict the time too much, or you loose on potential buyers. Will that work with your schedule? People will call you, others will text you, and yet others will want to facebook you no less. Answering in a timely manner to all requests is crucial. You'll also need to mind your safety, before you let someone you don't know in your house.

Talk to your friends or family and ask if they know somebody who might be interested in buying your property. Be mindful of the price though. My friend bought a condo off a friend, got a great deal, but lost a friendship because friend later thought the condo might have been sold for more. In cases like that agent presents comps facts for pricing, and generally acts like a buffer. When you are dealing with people directly, you don't have a buffer.

These are some things to think about before you start. It may be worth a try!
You can always hire an agent later on, if you decide you need one.
Best of luck,
Anna Glebova,
Realtor®
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Mon Apr 11, 2011
If it was as easy as "here's what you do... " there would be no need for a real estate license.

Real estate has become one of the most specialized and regulated industries in the US. Real estate professionals could even complicate their errors and omissions liability by giving you advice here, except to hire an experienced, local, licensed, real estate professional.

There are only 4, 3 bedroom ranches for sale in Newton right now. You do not appear to have an active mortgage on your property. I suggest you hire an experienced, local, licensed, real estate professional, and an experienced real estate attorney. I know you will find they are time saving, will help protect you, and they already have the expertise you are trying to gain on a chat site.
Web Reference:  http://www.capegroup.com
Zelda Kohn, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Mon Apr 11, 2011
To increase your chances you need to give your house the most exposure with all the considerations of safety, respectability and presentation. This is not a trivial task and there is a lot more than meets the eye in selling the house! Most For-Sale-By-Owners underestimate the effort and cost involved and before you know it loose more than the amount of comission they are trying to save, so... here is my advice:
- think twice as to why you want to do it yourself before starting!
- be prepared to spend a lot of time showing the house to peope you do not know, deal with some people you'd rather not, with safety issues, etc.
- allocate sufficient advertizing budget
- consult with a stager or interior designer
- hire an inspector to see what may pop up as a serious issue during buyer's inspection and resolve that
- talk to 1 or 2 professional realtors to get their prospective

Web Reference:  http://boc-re.com
Richard Coff…, Agent, Midlothian, VA
Mon Apr 11, 2011
The boy scout motto "be prepared" is sound advise for any endeavor. I have a short article on my website titled For Sale by Owner (FSBO) Option. Under "my pages", click on the subject item. If you decide to interview agents to market your property, you may want to read Selecting A Real Estate Agent Tips as well. Happy trails.
Masha Sender…, Agent, Newton, MA
Mon Apr 11, 2011
It is a proven fact that homes sell faster and for more $$ when you are using an agent. Negotiate a flexible commission with a licensed Realtor (not every agent is a Realtor), so you pay less if there is no buyer agent. Interview all of the people who responded to your question and pick one you feel will do the best job selling your home.
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Mon Apr 11, 2011
Susan,

Ever hear of the phrase penny wise dollar foolish???? Choose the best broker you can (me) let the broker handle all the marketing, open houses, negotiating, offer forms, lead paint forms, agency forms, let them qualify the buyer, handle the open houses, broker tours, deal with all the tire kickers, work with the attorney's, lenders, fire dept, water dept, While you plan your next move, pack. and deal with the everyday issues that everyone has, which is more than all consuming.

Louis Wolfson

Representing Greater Boston's Finest Builders and Communities Brookline, Dover, Needham, Newton, Wellesley and Weston.
Web Reference:  http://www.LouisWolfson.net
Bob Tanski, Agent, Newton, MA
Mon Apr 11, 2011
Hi Susan

If you want to sell your house on your own just ask yourself what would a Realtor do to get this home sold. Usually in real estate its location, location, location that sells a home, but right now it is price, price, price. You have to be realistic. It is a buyers market right now and a lot of properties have come on the market in Newton in the last month or two. You have to find a way to get potential buyers to find your home and have it stand out in the market place.

As was mentioned in one of the other replies advertizing in newspapers and other such advertizing platforms is very expensive and does not reach the market place the way it once did. The internet is the place to be .

Please read the series of blog posts from my blog about Home Selling for some helpful hints. See the Web Reference link below.
Rachel Hillm…, Agent, Newton, MA
Sun Apr 10, 2011
Hi Susan,
I really would recommend you hire an agent. You are probably dealing with your most expensive asset, so why not use a professional? Statistics show that people make more money using an agent. There is so much involved in the transaction (legal documents, staging and overall emotions when negotiating). Plus, in this market, it takes a lot more than an internet ad to get your house sold. Interview a few agents and find someone you trust. I promise you, you will be glad you hired someone to help with this very important sale. Feel free to contact me if you would like to talk more.
Web Reference:  http://Www.rachelhillman.com
Amy Mullen, Agent, Shrewsbury, MA
Sun Apr 10, 2011
Susan,

Over 90% of your buyers are on the internet before you even know they exist. If you are tech savy then embed your advertising, if not...learn fast!

The newspapers are not overly useful in your area and word-of-mouth is always good!

Please let me know if you would like more information.

Amy