I am currently living in a commercial zoned building and I would like to get it rezoned residential. My property is in a multizoned neighborhood of

Asked by Pcb, SoMa, San Francisco, CA Sat Feb 13, 2010

commercial, residential and Live andWwork buildings. How difficult would this be????

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ronson, Home Buyer, San Francisco, CA
Mon Jan 18, 2016
I am in palm springs ca and my dad and his brother have always let people live in his storages/offices. They never have put any money in them. There is not even windows that open or fire alarms. They never have gotten in any kind of legal matters ever. They get a double deposit and make the parties sign a legal document. that they just rent there for work. Trust me we are not going broke like the rest of the USA we never have a vacant unit. I dont know but I think if you donate money to the local PS government and pay your taxes. They dont care. So I dont think people need to be so paranoid. Anyway have money set a side for a lawyer. We are secure in our finances.This property has been handed down since PS became a city. Its who you know.
0 votes
Why have any laws? Ethics are not variable.
Flag Fri Jan 22, 2016
Flag Fri Jan 22, 2016
Callista She…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Feb 13, 2010
You can actually live in a commercial-zoned building. Why do you want to actually rezone it? What you can't do is remove a residential unit to make it commercial... now THAT's a headache and a thankless proposition. The best answer is the pathway articulated from Jed... just go to the Planning Dept. counter... they're very helpful and will let you know what you actually need to do, or not, depending upon how you plan to use it.

Callista Shepherd
0 votes
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Sat Feb 13, 2010
There are many factors that will need to be addressed. The best thing for you to do is find out what your parcel is zoned now. If you can, determine the "use code" also. Then contact the planning department with your questions. If it is easy you cna follow through and get it done yourself. This would be if the parcel is zoned for residential and you can change the use code.
There can be so many issues that will come up like is it up to code and in habitable condition, is it in any of the restricted zones where the production, distribution and repair facilities take precedence. It could also be ini a zone where new offices are prohibited. If any of these are the case you might be able to apply for variance or conditional use and go forward. You also might need to make improvements and hire an architect, engineer or attorney. But no reason not to ask.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more