I am considering hiring a contractor to install an in ground pool. How much value will a pool add to my home?

Asked by Amanda, Covington, KY Thu Nov 15, 2007

Answers

22
Betty Anne B…, , 70433
Thu Nov 15, 2007
Appraisers use from $8,000 to $15,000 for in-ground pools depending on the quality and size of the pool and what the market data in the area indicates. Many appraisers use $10,000 adjustment for pools, although many others do not make any adjustment at all. There is no general consensus on pools other than everyone agrees that a pool will not necessarily increase the market value of the home by the amount that is costs to install the pool.

Go To Blog http://realestatedetective.featuredblog.com/
Web Reference:  http://www.BaBurns.com
Ginger R., Home Seller, Massachusetts
Sat Nov 17, 2007
I once had a vacation home with an indoor swimming pool. I bought it BECAUSE of the pool. When it came time to sell it, I could not give this house away. I would have realized a much higher price if I had filled in the pool with cement. The moral of the story: a pool will limit the number of interested buyers.
I still want a swimming pool but I am waiting untilI I am living in a house that I do not plan to sell for a long time.
Mike Kelly A…, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Thu Nov 15, 2007
Figure the cost of the pool, divide by how many years you intend on living in your home and you have the cost for having the luxury of an inground pool. cost $40,000, stay in home 5 years, $8,000 a year to have all the kids, neighborhood kids, cook-outs around the pool, late night skinny dipping sessions with the spouse (that'll improve your love life--Priceless?),etc. How much will you re-coup? Most likely zip. Could push someone in the direction of your home but could also force a family away with young ones or those not wanting a pool. But here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women!!
Josh M. Boggs, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Thu Nov 15, 2007
Amanda,

Without knowing anything about your home and what kind of subdivision you live in, then it would be really hard to answer this question. Most agents just come right out and say that it will not add value and that's usually correct if you are in a price point that won't support it's use. For example, if you are in the median price point, then it may not turn out to be an investment.

However, if you are in a higher end neighborhood and most homes have pools already, then it may not produce to you an appreciated value, but it may raise the value of your home in general because you are now similar to others in your area.

Pool = Maintenance costs, higher insurance, liabilities and security concerns to the average money conscience consumer.
Web Reference:  http://www.exposedhomes.com
T.E. & Naima…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Nov 15, 2007
If you decide to install a pool, make sure it's just for your enjoyment because you will not be able to get your whole investment back.
Tim Johnson, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Thu Aug 7, 2014
I'm not sure exactly how much and inground pool would add to the value of your home. I'm sure it depends on if it's the best quality or not. Also, the size would have a pretty large impact on the value. I do know that it would increase it more than it would cost, without a doubt. http://www.sunsetpools-spas.com/pools/chicago-concrete-pool-…
Caroline Choi, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Sep 15, 2010
Hi Amanda, it's hard to answer this question without knowing the specifics. Firstly, are you installing the pool for your own personal value, or to add to the value of your home? The installation of the pool should come from your personal value first, and worry about the monetary return on investment later. Secondly, contact a local realtor or appraiser to get an idea of your neighborhood, comparable homes in your area, etc. to make sure an added pool would increase your value. Best of luck, Caroline

Caroline Choi
Broker Associate/EcoBroker Certified
http://www.CarolineSellsTheCity.com
ruby smith, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Sep 15, 2010
it depends on where you live. ask this question directly to a RE agent that is familar with your neighborhood
Mike and Hea…, Agent, Mandeville, LA
Wed Sep 15, 2010
Appraisals on resales of homes with a pool usually range from $6000 to 10,000 depending on the make, size and pool amendities. A seller will never receive what they pay when selling a home. They nice to have but not a big price option.
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Tue Sep 1, 2009
About zero...don't do it to add value to a possible sale..to insurance companies it is a huge liability.
if you do add a pool, make sure and budget to add some landscaping...being in KY rocks are cheap/free and can create a beautiful feel to a backyard...google "japanese gardens" to get an idea of what you can do.
Web Reference:  http://iansellsnola.com
William aka…, , Mandeville, LA
Wed Aug 19, 2009
Amanda,

I see you are in Covington, KY...I used to live in that area...now live in Covington, LA. A pool will return more of its cost here than in Kentucky. And I figure that here you'll get a 25% to 40% return on investment for an inground pool...above ground pools are generally a liability anywhere.

You can expect a lower return on investment in Northern Kentucky. Bettye Ann Burns and I work out of the same office, and her comments are right on!
Rita Rebouche, , Covington, LA
Tue Jun 30, 2009
If you personally want a pool for your own pleasure and enjoyment, then go ahead and have one done. If you main purpose is to add value to your home, then you should consider other home improvement ideas such as remodeling your kitchen or baths. You can also add energy saving features, such as storm windows and insulation. When you are ready to sell, you may want to consider having your home professionally staged so that it will really stand out above all the other homes in your area.
Sondi, Home Seller, 08540
Tue May 5, 2009
We'll be looking to buy as soon as we sell our current home (not yet on the market - soon!). A pool would be a negative for us, with our two young kids. If a house was perfect in all other ways, we might still buy it, but generally speaking I would prefer not to deal with the responsibility. If I didn't have kids, or if they were older, might be a different story. So - what type of house do you have? If it's a "starter family house" I'd say it adds nothing.
Daniel, , Baton Rouge, LA
Tue May 5, 2009
You may actually decrease the value of your home, of make your home less attractive to thousands of families with young children who look at a pool as a hazard.

I know of many homes having more difficulty selling because of hazard, additional insurance, additional up keep, additional water and electrical expense
Darci Lambert, Agent, Mandeville, LA
Thu Feb 21, 2008
Amanda,

The way to look at the value of a pool that you will install yourself is how much enjoyment will you get out of the pool? As far as resale value for your home will vary in the type/style of pool you put in but the ranges is usually from $7,000 to $25,000 and as others have answered that some buyers won’t want a home with a pool. If you intend on living in your home for a while – go for it & enjoy it and don’t worry about the resale value!
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Mon Dec 3, 2007
It ought to add some value to the pool in Covington, but remember you will have insurance issues dealing with the pool, and that 4' fence around it.
Web Reference:  http://www.iansellsnola.com
Dag Nabbitz, Both Buyer And Seller, New York, NY
Fri Nov 16, 2007
Xactly--Mike JK . .
Mike Kelly A…, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Fri Nov 16, 2007
Dag nabbitz--good knowledge! Looks like brains runs in the family!
Thu Nov 15, 2007
Brainiac's daughter asked me to no longer watch the movie Jaws for bowlegged women quotes... Unless she had contracted Scurvy or Ricketts..
Mike Kelly A…, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Thu Nov 15, 2007
Dag Nabbitz --your such a brainiac!!
Thu Nov 15, 2007
Having a pool built is a bad idea and is not worth the investment of the novelty. It will never add value to your home due to the amount of costs listed by others below. But, if you want a cool place to swim in on a hot summer afternoon--besides the tub and shower, Dig away and build it.
Helene Kurtz, , 70809
Thu Nov 15, 2007
Not nearly as much as the cost of the pool. Some people like pools. Others are concerned that a young child might find their way there by accident. There is also the additional maintenance and costs associated with a pool. Personally, I like them. But not everyone does. So, I wouldn't expect to get much additional value for your home by adding a pool. You might, however, get alot of additional enjoyment.