Hurricane Prepared Townhome - Downtown St. Petersburg Florida

Asked by Marc, 33701 Wed May 14, 2008

I have a FULLY Hurricane Prepared Downtown Saint Petersburg Townhome for sale. The home is up to Miami Dade
code standards and is an extremely safe home to live in. It was built in 2005 and is in a small community of only nine units close to two major hospitals, Fire Dept. HQ and Police HQ. It has 3 bedrooms and 2.5 bath. I have 1562 square feet and a TRUE FULL TWO CAR GARAGE - which is VERY rare for the neighborhood. I am asking only $323K. I am not interested in representation as the seller, However... Are any realtors in my area interested in viewing the home for their potential buyers? I will offer a fair commission.

Answers

8
JM, , Saint Petersburg, FL
Sat May 17, 2008
Sure, give me a call and lets set an appointment. 727-656-8886 Go to my website to see my listings also!
Caroline York, Agent, St Petersburg, FL
Fri Aug 22, 2008
It was a little difficult to find but I viewed 660 in your area and it was terrific. You are right. The neighborhood is a convenient location with ample parking, even two spaces outside of the garage for guest parking. I will definitely be stopping by soon before making a decision on my own purchase and would have no problem showing your property to a prospective buyer. As to why Realtors are hesitatant to show FSBO properties, this is my observation: The one thing I always consider when I am working with a For Sale By Owner is how much do they know about selling a home and am I going to have to do "6% of the work for only 3% of the commission." Many times FSBO's don't have a clue as to what is needed to put a contract together and negotiate a fair market value with a buyer. There is too much emotion and not enough communication and negotiation. That is why you may find some realtors would prefer not to deal with you directly. Also, we may have listing agreements with properties quite similar to yours and we have an agency responsibility to get that client's home sold and do everything we can to accomplish that. I am sure if you had an agreement with a Realtor you would want them to do everything for YOU before trying to sell someone's home that has no agreement. I hope to set up an appointment to see your home after Labor Day if it is still on the market. By the way, where do I find your home listed on the internet? Thank you.
Caroline York, Agent, St Petersburg, FL
Sun Aug 3, 2008
If this home is still available I would like to view it. I am also personally in the market for a townhouse in the downtown St Petersburg area. Please contact me through my website. Thank you.
Marc, Both Buyer And Seller, 33701
Fri May 16, 2008
The swimming pool analogy doesn't hold water (pardon my pun). A swimming pool requires additional expense and safety measures. Hurricane Windows and Doors require nothing and protect possessions, lives (both human and pets) and superior burglary protection. Even though this is a safe neighborhood, it's nice to know you can leave town and it would take a tank or major hurricane to break in your house. To the right buyer who is happy with the excellent location and added protection they will see and appreciate the value. The HOA board will not allow any other units to be modified to my knowledge, I had it done early on after construction... so no one really cared. I welcome inquiries from Realtors with buyers seeking what I have to offer.
Ines Alvarez, , Tampa, FL
Fri May 16, 2008
Marc,
Will you be hiring a lawyer to represent you as the seller? If not, I consider 4% a fair fee for working as a transaction broker between you and my buyer.

I understand your wanting to sell the TH yourself and saving fees. Unfortunately, the marker peaker in Dec. 2005. The fact that you paid $31k for upgrades and went through all the hassle with the HOA doesn't matter to most buyers. It is comparable with putting in a pool. It may have cost $50k to put in but it may increase the value by only $15k and eliminated buyers with young children who don't want a pool.

Also, appraisers are lowering the the value of homes by .25% per month because we are in a declining market. Therefore, the $292k comp from Dec. will be only $287,620. at best today. Where did you get the sales price, Marc? Did the seller pay 3.0% toward the buyer's closing cost? This is happening all the time in todays market.

It's not easy pricing in a declining market for professionals or for sell by owners. Perhaps, you can rent the unit until the market turns?

Respectfully,
Ines Alvares
Prudential Tropical Realty
ialvarez@prutropical.com
Marc, Both Buyer And Seller, 33701
Wed May 14, 2008
Dear Bill,

The unit adjoining mine just sold in December for $292K, a unit directly across from mine (different HOA, SAME builder, end unit, slightly larger) sold for $317K. My home has what none of these others have Simonton Stormbreaker Plus Windows and Custom Made Hurricane Resistant Doors - Cost $31K. If you ad the December Comp of $292K to my Hurricane add-ons of $31K that equals $323K (My asking Price) which I think is quite fair considering the new Hospital across the road being completed in eight months.

On a side note... You have no idea how much grief is involved with petitioning an HOA Board to allow you to modify your doors and windows. It took me months and then having to deal with the contractors and their games. I think I'm priced correctly for the area and my buyer should be interested in Safety, Security and the convenience of being able to walk to work (saving gasoline) in the downtown area. The home is also in a "No Flood" , "No Evacuation" zone on the same power grid as Fire Dept. HQ and the Hospitals.

As to your commission... Give me a call or bring me a buyer and I'm sure you'll feel I'm being not just fair but generous.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed May 14, 2008
Would you care to commit to what your view of a fair commission is?

If we pulled the comps on your home would we find it's priced fairly?
Loretta Buck…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Wed May 14, 2008
In this market, Marc, I predict that you may or may not get a parade of Realtors through your home this way--however, since the way in which most Realtors find buyers in the first place is by having listings, it is also my prediction that each Realtor who tours your townhome will ultimately be doing so for the purpose of obtaining the listing.
I'm curious, Marc--what is it about NOT hiring a Realtor that is so important to you?