How valuable is staging a home for sale? It is well appointed home with antiques & traditional, neutral walls,

Asked by Ginnydesign, Arnold, MD Wed May 1, 2013

an average amt furniture, DOM 120 , just reduced to $350K. Does one recoup staging expenses typically?

Answers

8
Jim Bent, Agent, Easton, MD
Wed May 1, 2013
Staging is a growing business. With the correct "stager" our experience has been positive for both recouping the cost (higher sale price) and less time on the market. Today's buyer is trending toward a move in ready house rather than lets buy it and then make it our own. the houses that get the best attention are the ones that "pop" with curb appeal and then create the "wow" factor when a potential buyer enters. Buyers generally are spending time on the internet, so pictures are important, then they do a drive-by, so curb appeal is important. Hopefully those two will inspire them to call for an appointment which is when the WOW of the inside takes over. In some instances it's simply a matter of a second look from a professional. In my opinion staging is worth at a minimum the cost of the first consultation.
Thanks, Jim! You have valuable advice. It is very helpful to hear from sage professionals like you. G.
Flag Wed May 1, 2013
Donna Jupitz, Agent, Easton, MD
Thu Nov 20, 2014
Staging a home is very important. It is always best to get a real estate professional to see the interior of the home prior to listing. You may think it is properly staged, but a real estate professional can give you that final look. Pictures are a big distraction. De-cluttering is a must. Appliances (Toasters/Coffee Makers) need to be put away on kitchen counters. What you think is de-cluttered can probably stand another viewpoint.
Miekeba Jones, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Sun May 5, 2013
Hi Ginnydesign, staging may help considering the length of time on the market. Are you sure the home is priced right and sometimes a clean slate is better than a staged home. Many buyers look for the least junkiest and even try to calculate how long it would take for the seller to move their things.
Robert McArt…, Agent, Fallston, MD
Wed May 1, 2013
I would have considered Staging long before 120 days on the market based on feedback received from showings etc. I had a property listed in Cecil County. A little over $300,000. The feedback was it was too cluttered and potential buyers could not enjoy the space and design the home had to offer. We put 75% of belongings in storage, did a deep cleaning and staged it. After I did a virtual tour (which I still promote that particular tour today in my listing presentations) The property quickly went under contract. Staging works expecially if you are a motivated Seller that NEEDS your property to move. If it is a stale listing however and the whole world has previewed your home...it may be an up-hill battle.
Robert,
Thanks so much for your helpful comments. I wish that our agent had suggested this 60 days into the showings. But all comments from many showings have been positive until two weeks ago, when feedback was "felt like grandma's house" and "outdated." The house is not cluttered, but it does not have 'Pottery Barn' furniture, and we do have an oriental carpet in the living room. Maybe we should remove that?
Flag Wed May 1, 2013
Phyllis Glea…, Agent, Columbia, MD
Wed May 1, 2013
The correct pricing can cause your home to sit on the market. Today's buyer's have many tools available in order to inform them of overpriced listings. If you had to reduce your list price, then something was wrong with your original list price. The correct staging can make or break your sale. I would suggest you get an opinion from a stager. Remember, You do not want your property to stay on the market too long.
Jonathan Ols…, Agent, Chester, MD
Wed May 1, 2013
Staging a home is very valuable! Proper staging allows for showing the home's best ammenities, removes any clutter, helps define rooms and most of all can make for a quick sale at the highest price as long as it is already price appropriately for todays market. Time is money, if the staging helps sell the house quickly then you may recoup the cost.
Jessica Hood…, Agent, Gambrills, MD
Wed May 1, 2013
Hi Ginny,

Staging is invaluable, in fact we think it is so important we include this service free for all of our listing clients. On average 95% of Accredited Staging Professional (ASP) staged homes sell in 23 days or less and they sell closer to asking price. Compare that with the current market average in Anne Arundel County of over 60 days (unusually low right now). So more money in less time for free. Definitely worth it.

Even more important than staging are GREAT photographs and Internet exposure on a wide variety of sites including sites that cater to our large military & government clientele in the area including the Naval Academy and Fort Meade. Your home location is one of the most popular with military and government employees as they are attracted to Broadneck schools.
Laura,
Thanks so much for your encouraging reply. I appreciate your comments and am impressed by the stats you provided. You make a persuasive argument for staging.

We believe in great photographs also, and I was considering taking new interior shots.

Our location is Centreville, MD, so unfortunately cannot benefit from government employees needs.
Flag Wed May 1, 2013
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed May 1, 2013
From your question; I can assure you of two things;
You have too much "stuff", you need to eliminate half, particularly personal stuff, and, your LISTING PRICE is too high.
You need to have your Realtor do a CMA to determine the Market Value and get close to it: You are not looking for a sucker who will pay your price; that isn't going to happen. But you need to attract multiple offers.
ps. If one expects to "recoup" staging expenses; one has unreal expectations about everything.
As a local Realtor I can tell you that there are very few homes in Arnold, MD in the under $350k range. We can't possibly know if the home is cluttered or overpriced (now that the price is reduced) and an expectation that staging costs will be recouped is extremely realistic in our market. Best of luck Ginny.
Flag Wed May 1, 2013