How to value a very productive fruit and vegetable garden, when estimating property value?

Asked by Ebpax1, Portland, OR Thu Jun 20, 2013

I would like to know how to find a new home with a well-developed vegetable garden, and how to value my property if I wanted to sell.

Answers

16
The Stephen…, Agent, Portland, OR
Sat Jun 22, 2013
Great job in creating something Portland loves. It is hard to estimate the value of a great garden, but I can tell you for sure, it adds a wonderful level of excitement about the property. The most important thing would be to display all the information well online, so everyone can see exactly what you have. This will draw the right buyer to your place (and they'll love it!).
Shelby Bates…, Agent, Happy Valley, OR
Thu Jun 20, 2013
In Portland, vegetable gardens are popular, but as mentioned before, unless it is huge or is producing for produce to sell at a local farmer's market, it is not likely to add value to the home.
However, a home with a yard large enough to produce a big crop of fruit and vegetables will certainly be valued higher.

As a Portland realtor, I would be happy to visit your home and help you evaluate what features are adding value, and which may be contributing to loss in maximum value as well. I can run comps for you as well.

Please feel free to call or email me, and check out the blogs on my website as well.

Shelby Bateson
Broker - Knipe Realty
503-819-6545
Email: shelby@kniperealty.com
Web Reference:  http://pdxdreamhome.com
tom foster, Agent, portland, OR
Thu Jun 20, 2013
It adds no value to someone who isn't interested in a garden and/or fruit trees. In fact, it may subtract value, because not only are they not interested in the work involved, but will have to pay to convert the yard to their own liking. However to a buyer who appreciates productive fruit trees and a good garden, they will pay a premium for this. So the key is to market the home as if the yard is a benifit. This will attract the type of buyer who will pay more for this. As a multiple blue ribbon winner in the county fair, I can give advise on the amount of potential value added. This is really a question that can't be accuately answered via the internet. We have to see the yard.
Pam Zielinski, Agent, Netarts, OR
Thu Jun 20, 2013
I'm sure one of the Trulia Pro brokers who works in your neighborhood will be happy to help you with a market analysis on your home. My area is on the Coast, but I can tell you that unless you have a commercial sized grow operation which may have commercial value, your beautiful garden will probably not make a difference in the price you get for your residential property. Not all prospective buyers will appreciate the garden and in fact some will prefer to have a yard which requires minimal maintenance. Since it doesn't necessarily have universal appeal, it really doesn't add value. However, it may help you to get top dollar and it may help you experience a quicker sale.
Charlesmaule, Home Buyer, Buffalo, NY
Wed Aug 31, 2016
Creating outdoor living spaces lends itself to low-maintenance landscaping because you can extend your home. If you have a good base, it ends up being low-maintenance for decades to come. This is http://www.gardeningnorthside.com.au/lawn-mowing-north-shore… one of the best investments you can have in your yard because mulch breaks down, fertilizes your plants, and prevents weeds.
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Thu Oct 2, 2014
Its important to know the size of the garden, square footage or acerage.
Value of the fruit and vegetables per year.

A fine Garden can generate anywhere between $10K to $25K in value.

Finding such a one can be tough.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Thu Oct 2, 2014
I love and have had a veggie garden for the past 3 decades but it's in San Diego so I wouldn't be able to help you.
Chris Love, Agent, Portland, OR
Wed Oct 1, 2014
The fact that you have a great garden also means that you have a great place on your lot to have a garden. a large number of Portland buyers prefer a home with a good garden space which means it does add value to your property. The fact that it is well established is a bonus. When I price listings I take into account the yard usability factors like sunlight, privacy and noise etc.. Also, a well kept garden shows pride of ownership which will reflect well on the buyers overall impression, so my answer is yes your garden adds value in many different ways and I would definitely highlight it in a listing.
Deborah Garv…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, San Diego, CA
Mon Jul 8, 2013
I would concur with the agents below that there is very little in terms of net tangible value given in an appraisal for a garden. It may, or may not, help your home sell (dependent upon the needs and desires of the buyer); but, beyond that there is little effect on the property value.

I would like to address the comments regarding commercial and/or "large" gardening production. In point of fact, any indication that a property included any percentage of commercial growing operation would prohibit financing through Fannie/Freddie/Ginnie Mae. Commercial financing would be required, just as with a farm or agricultural land.

All my best,

Deborah
Shelby Bates…, Agent, Happy Valley, OR
Sat Jun 22, 2013
Hi EBP

I should have mentioned in the last answer that I am very familiar with your area and what buyers are looking for who are looking for homes there. You live in a great area that is in high demand by buyers with a discerning eye and an appreciation for well cared for homes. Aditionally, I will be listing a home very near to yours in the next two weeks or so, so I have done a lot of recent research on the Woodstock area as a whole.

Again, please feel free to call or email me and I'll be happy to come take a look and run some comps for you to help you maximize the value of your home.

Shelby Bateson
Broker Knipe Realty NW
503-819-6545
sheby@kniperealty.com
Shelby Bates…, Agent, Happy Valley, OR
Sat Jun 22, 2013
Hi EBP,

I've just viewed the photos of your house and from the photos it is clear that you have a great eye for creating beauty and productivity on your land. Your front yard looks lovely which is so important in attracting buyers to look inside. But even more, the pride you show in your surroundings makes potential buyers feel more at ease and less likely to be looking for flaws indoors.

As an avid gardener myself, I certainly appreciate the efforts you have made to date to add value to your home. I'd be happy to come out and take a look at your home and help you value it, both in its current condition, as well as give you suggestions on what else you might do to add more value for a future sale.

Please feel free to give me a call or send me an email if you'd like my input.

Shelby Bateson
Broker - Knipe Realty NW
Mobile: 503-819-6545
Email: shelby@kniperealty.com
Tom Inglesby, Agent, Portland, OR
Fri Jun 21, 2013
To follow up the large lot and the potential taxes that you can face if the property taxes are set for say 2 or three residential lots and all you want to do is garden you will be paying high taxes for your property. There were recently a couple of homes sold on 1 acre in SW Portland close to $600,000+ with small homes but sold. There is no drop down on RMLS that can search garden except in comments and searching for that. I would be happy to assit you. Most properties that are older are more established with gardens and fruit trees. Tom Inglesby, Broker RE/MAX
Ebpax1, Home Owner, Portland, OR
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the input and sorry for the vagueness of my question. The property is not large, and I recognize that not everyone is interested in creating a sustainable vegetable garden, or even doing anything more than mowing a lawn, if that. My question was actually two questions, about how to value my current property and how to locate potential places to move to with at least a head-start on a vegetable garden. I have 15+ pics on Zillow at http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5627-SE-Pardee-St-Portland… , to give people a better idea what sort of sustainable arrangement I have built.

Are there RE Brokers in Portland who might specialize in working with properties like mine? I thought I saw a bumper sticker for a RE Co. that worked with "Habitable such and such", but didn't write it down.

EBP
I live in your neighborhood (49th and Long) and work at the John L. Scott office at 41st and Woodstock. I love the neighborhood and consider it my specialty. I have worked with a lot of buyers in the neighborhood who's criteria was a garden/good outdoor space. I would be happy to talk to you about your house and potential new house.
Flag Wed Oct 1, 2014
Linda Heinri…, Agent, Lake Oswego, OR
Fri Jun 21, 2013
While gardening is a passion shared by many and better yet a productive food source, it is also not valued by others and falls into the neutral value range. If you are wanting to sell, get a professional opinion as to the value of your home and how to best position yourself to maximize this value.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Jun 21, 2013
You're not going to find a new home with mature gardens or landscaping. You would evaluate your property by comparing it to other homes on the market,.

Tom Inglesby, Agent, Portland, OR
Thu Jun 20, 2013
Just because yo have a large yard your property does not go up by x%. There are lending rules and I am not an appraiser but they will tell you that you cannot value your yard at any where over 1/3 the value of your property. Your yard will appeal to some people. For the people that are looking for a large yard for a garden they are very few. There could be some amount to add but if you are thinking $10,000 -$20,000 more it is probably to much. It is hard to figure out here on the internet. They only way to get a closer value is take a look at it and I would be glad to take a look. Good luck to you. Tom Inglesby, Broker