MV, Real Estate Pro in Mountain View, CA

How to select a seller agent? What are good questions to ask?

Asked by MV, Mountain View, CA Fri May 9, 2014

I'm looking to possibly sell my property in Mountain View and am looking to interview agents. Any suggestions on how to go about selecting a top notch selling agent where I can get the best price? What types of questions should I ask them?

Answers

10
A lot of has been posted on what criteria to use. The choice of realtor is really how much your realtor is focusing on your interest instead of his or hers.

Assuming your agent has 10 properties on the market, he/she is unlikely to give you much help after the sign off of contract. I have yet to find the assistant/team have or any idea what has been done or you are going.

Most homes in MV sells by itself with internet/mls. 99% will say the same thing.
Are you familiar with my neighborhood?
What would you tell a buyer about the area?
What do you suggest I do to prepare the home for sale?
What do you suggest a good sale price would be?
How long is your listing contract?
Do you have references?
I did a blog post on this very topic. Feel free to browse through my blog and read, enjoy!

Chris
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 10, 2014
1. Do you have references from satisfied clients
2. Do you know the area
3. Have you seen or will you see the comparable properties
4. What is your marketing strategy
5. What is your online presence.
First of all, you should be able to view their bios on the internet site, including the viewing of the agency where they are working. You will certainly get information from this, including internet sites like Trulia. When you call them up and make an appointment to see them, you will get a clear indication of their experience and knowledge, their past listings and their ability to successfully market your home. They should be able to tell you how quickly they have sold specific listings, and how close to asking their solds have been. You can compare their marketing techniques with one or two other agents in different agencies. You will be able to get a good feel of the rapport between yourself and the various agents you are interviewing. They will all give you a competitive market analysis of what they think the house is worth compared to others that are comparable. This should be a good start in aiding you to select the best agent for you.
When selecting a selling agent ask what type of marketing would best work for your property also make sure they have a steady line of communication no one like to have their property listed any never hear from their agent anymore. Also make sure you go with an agent who challenges you a bit you don't want a yes agent that just says anything to get the listing and never produces results the agent should direct you as to the current market trends and prices and positions your property in the market to obtain the highest vale price to you someone who will fight to maintain your equity through skilled negotiating.

Best of Luck To you

John R Facchini

Full Time Realtor
All the responses shared so far have been valid and each offers a piece of the puzzle. Remember that in interview is like a first date...anyone can spit out good answers. In the end, you need to trust your instincts, gather references and assess your ability to communicate with the agent.

Buying and selling homes is a team sport. The quality of the relationship between seller and agent definitely affects the outcome.

Best of luck.
First and foremost make sure you like each other as you will be spending some time together. Ask what marketing strategies will be implemented; what plans will be put in place to coordinate meetings with buyers; what feedback (communication) can you expect and with what frequency; will data be supplied to help establish a fair and marketable asking price; will buyers be pre-screened and required to have mortgage pre-approvals when submitting offers; what other services does the agency offer, if any, etc.
I suggest you invite several agents to come and tour your house, and then come back and make a presentation regarding 1). Their suggestions for getting your home ready to list, 2). Their market analysis of the current value of your home, 3). Discussion of their proprosed strategy to get the highest price, whether they advise looking at offers as soon as it hits the market, or whether to set a date to review offers and try and get multiple offers, 4). Whether you should have any inspections done before listing, 5). What advertising, marketing and open houses they will be doing.
If you are relocating, consider Sonoma County! We have a lot of reasonably priced homes and a lot less traffic, and the wine country events and lifestyle make this a very desirable area! Drop me a line! Best, Terry Bell, Realtor
Creative Property Services
Santa Rosa, CA
707-292-5712
TerryinSR@aol.com
BRE#01414808
You want to ask them how they plan on marketing your home, how they think it should be priced to get the home to sell for the best price, and so it don't sit on the market. How you work together as a team with the agent and you.

Remember and this is very important, just because they have or have had loads of listings don't mean they are the best choice to sell your home! If they don't know how to market the home it won't sell, and they will have many of them not sold and just sitting on the market forever... I know there are agents out there just looking for listings this way they don't have to do much only collect the commission at time of sale, and thats not how it works, they really need to work to sell the home with marketing and getting as many eyes on the inside of the property as possible.

If you'd like to email me I will give you some strategies we use to get out homes marketed and sold in Connecticut because they get exposure every way we can... my email is Kim06784@gmail.com.

Good luck!!