How to get started to do a quit claim Deed?

Asked by Paige, Sunnyvale, CA Wed May 14, 2008

hi, if I want to do a quit claim deed for a Non-US resident--,where should I get started, do I go to Real state broker, or title company, does someone can help me do this.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Sandie Johns…, , Palmdale, CA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
A Quit Claim Deed is considered, by the courts, a weaker Deed than a Grant Deed due to the language in the deed itself. If you are giving your interest in the property to someone else, you might want to consider using a Grant Deed instead. You can also grant from yourself to yourself and another person, i.e. a spouse or relative, even a friend or grant 100% of your interest to someone else. To obtain either a Quit Claim Deed or a Grant Deed, you may be able to find a blank one at a stationary store. If not, call an Escrow Company, although they do not customarily prepare deeds without an active escrow, they may be willing to give you a deed that you can fill out yourself . You can then take the deed to the County Recorder's Office for recordation.
0 votes
Mark Hilgenb…, Agent, Rancho Mirage, CA
Tue Jun 3, 2008
Contact an attorney. That way it's legal. But be careful, if you have a loan on the property you should check for what's called a "due on sale clause". This means, when you transfere ownership your loan is due right then.
0 votes
Realtor, ,
Wed May 21, 2008
Hi Paige, are you taking over their payments? You can try and do it yourself, but you risk the chances of the property being re-assessed by the tax assessor. It's best to see an attorney who will advise you and the homeowner. Good luck.
0 votes
Mary Kay and…, Agent, San Rafael, CA
Wed May 14, 2008

You should work with someone at a title company to help you with this.
0 votes
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Wed May 14, 2008
Consult a Real Estate Attorney or a Title Company.
There are title insurance issues that can arise out of a quit claim deed.
You also might want to look at different tenancy options and how this might affect any leins against the property (such as a mortgage, for instance). It might not be a good idea to transfer the deed to the property if you are still on the hook for the note.
0 votes
Roland Barcos, Agent, San Jose, CA
Wed May 14, 2008
Hi Paige,
Go to the title company that recorded your deed, or if you don't know, then try any title office. They should be able to help you. You should also consult a real estate attorney. The county Bar Association has a good referral system.
Good luck,
0 votes
NonRealtor, , 23456
Wed May 14, 2008
Maybe you can just keep the house. Is that possible? There are already too many houses for sale.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more