Rich Evans, Both Buyer and Seller in 19320

How to get showings?

Asked by Rich Evans, 19320 Sun Apr 27, 2008

My house has been on the market for about 3 weeks; however, I have not had any showings yet. The house is listed on several websites (Trulia, realtor.com, Yahoo Real Estate) as well as a local housing magazine. I have not held an open house, but neither I nor my agent are proponents of open houses. As far as I can tell, it is priced at or less than comparable homes in the area. None of the comps seem to be moving either. Is the market just this slow or can we do more? I cannot sell the house if no one looks at it! We are West Caln township.

Rich I would almost guarantee you are overpriced. Thats the biggest reason for a house not getting any showings. In West Caln you can get a brand new house 4 bedrooms 2/12 baths on an acre for about $260,000.00. How does yours match up to that. New 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath for under $250,000.00. My guess is the new construction in the area is your biggest competition and unless you put a pretty attractive price on your listing to pull buyers away from buying new your not going to get showings. Make sure your doing the right comps. Don't look at active listings. Since so many in the area are new you cant really compare unless yours in under 2 years old. Look at what has actually sold that is comprable to yours. Also make sure pictures in websites are appealing and drawing buyers to want to see more. Are your colors neutral. Do you have the updates most buyers are looking for these days. Kitchen and baths should be up to date. If not then you need to price accordingly as they will be factoring in what it will cost them to do it. There are some houses selling in West Caln in a short period of time when priced right so if you are not getting Any showings; again; I would bet your overpriced. If you want more help with this let me know. Don't want to step on your agents toes but woud be happy to do a market analysis for you and make recommendations which you can pass on to your listing agent. Best of luck. Debbie
Web Reference: http://www.dhaleyhomes.com
make sure that your agent has a house listed on local MLS. Here are some tips to get more showings:

- Revise the description of the listing. Sometimes adding "power" words or phrases can get things stirred.
- You and your agent, talk to your neighbors, owners and employees of local businesses, parents in schools, etc. Network with others and spread the word.
- Talk to your agent about running an ad on craigslist.org. This website generates a ton of leads and it's free.
- Create an individual website for your house. Market it on other websites, blogs and directories. Internet is extremely powerful.

If you have not had a single showing in 3 weeks, talk to your agent and ask him to revisit the marketing plan, if he/she had one. It's true, the market is slow, but there is no excuse for not bringing people to your house. Perhaps, you can switch agents, depending on your contract's details, but your house is a product that's for sale and your agent has to do everything he can to sell it.

Sorry to say, but it is defnitely over-priced. The buyer that first sees the home they purchase sees it with a Realtor.- 90% of the time. No showings means that they Realtors do not think it is worth showing.

Ask your Realtor how many homes, like yours, have sold in the last 60 days? How many that have been on the market less than 30 days sold?

That is your target....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 27, 2008
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA

Price is almost always the problem when a house has no prospects/action. I would recommend reavaluating price before anything else. As far as your competition goes... their agents should be recommending price reductions as well. Unfortunately in most areas this is not a selling market and homes are not selling for what they would have a year or two ago.

Another option is to "vamp" up your curb appeal. Schedule showings or attend open houses in your neighborhood to check out the competition. This will give you a better idea of where yours stands and what you can do to improve; above and beyond your competition.

As suggested below, you can ask your agent to post your listing on Craigs List (FOR FREE!) or you can take it upon your self to do so. This provides another avenue for buyers.

Other suggestions include:
1. Check out your photos. If you have too much furniture or the placement of furniture makes your home appear cluttered and/or small most people will think that it is. Also having two little or no furniture is also a downfall.
2.Look at the description provided. Make sure your agent has described your home 'to it's fullest' leaving out no features such as wood floors, open layout, remodeled bath/kitchen, entertaining floor plan... etc.
3.An open house may be just the thing to get buyers through if nothing else seems to be working. However... going back to price; most will not attend if they feel it is overpriced.

Hope this helped.

Shelley Kefauver
Web Reference: http://www.YourYorkHome.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 27, 2008
In CT the market is slower as well, but homes that are priced below market seem to be the ones that move. Think about changing the price to get it under your competition and hopefully this will drum up interest in Buyers in your area.
Hi Rich,

All real estate boils down to price.

Any home that is not model perfect in our area will sit until the price is low enough to entice buyers. Buyers do not know the costs or time it will take to improve a property to get it to where they would like it to be.

Even our lowest priced properties expect granite counters and stainless appliances here. Ask your realtor what buyers in your price point expect and decide whether you should improve your house to that level or lower the price to a point that buyers take the plunge.

Best wishes for a quick sale!
If none of the other comps in the area are moving, either, perhaps a good tactic would be to lower your price so you're just underneath the other comps. You need to look like the best out of the bunch in this market to attract attention. Make sure your house is spotless, spruce up the entry way, and make a good solid impression when you do have buyers come through. Make sure the photos on the internet are appealing and make you want to see the inside.
Rich, I concur with what my colleagues have indicated below: price is, most likely, a major reason why you haven't gotten any showings. The other issue could be the pictures on the MLS.....never underestimate their importance. While I tell my client-buyers to NOT necessarily judge the home based only on the pictures, not all Realtors counsel their clients this way. I've been surprised both ways re: MLS pictures (sometimes the home is a LOT better than the pictures would suggest....and other times the pictures make a less-than-fabulous home look fabulous).

I would reach out to your Realtor and get to the bottom of the issue together. The market these days is HOT! Be sure you're ready to take full advantage of it!:)

Judy May, Esquire, REALTOR
"A Refreshingly Different Real Estate Experience"
C: 610.324.5240

CENTURY 21 Alliance
2828 Audubon Village Drive
Audubon PA 19403
O: 610.666.0202 x. 226

Search THOUSANDS of homes!
Rich, Two of the answers given below are the most likely reason for your W Caln listing not selling or even getting showings. The one answer is location, the next answer is curb appeal. Your home is on a busy country road and simply the address scares prospective buyers. I have had a couple really nice, well priced listings on that road (I live in W Caln) and the address itself prevented showings even as the price was reduced repeatedly. Have a top notch stager (like Linda Sticklin) stage the yard as well as the house. Advertise the location benefits - like two miles from 30 bypass, 5 miles from the Walmart, etc. And of course, only minutes from Ruth Parker, the best local W Caln Realtor :).
Web Reference: http://www.ruthparker.net
I concur with majority of the replies here. There are 3 major things that affect sale of a home: Price, Condition, Location. We can only control the first two. Have your agent check the SOLD comps and adjust your price if necessary. Have your agent do an open house or two and get some feedback, even if it comes from neighbors. Try postlets.com AND craigslist. With postlets, you or your agent can make a nice looking online flyer that you can easily cut and paste (the HTML code) into craigslist. Craigslist works to generate interest and inquiries. More than 80% of home buyers start their home search online. Good Luck To You!
I agree with the other Realtors on this page, price is probably the main component. However, I must say that although open houses are not the greatest way to garner attention, it is worth a shot. Even if your visitors are just neighbors and locals, chances are those people who are interested in moving into the area. In this market, trying everything is the best approach. What do you have to lose? I am also a big believer in heavy internet marketing as it is the springboard from which most buyers begins their search. Hope this was helpful. Best of luck to you!
Nicole Holmquist, Realtor, Century 21 Sierra Properties in Murphys, CA
Most buyers start their home search on line. If they don't like what they see in the MLS photos, they are not likely to come see the house in person. In the current market, it is critical that your house look better than its competition.
I would guess it is a pricing issue. To not have any showings and extensive marketing coverage is a sign that the market is not accepting your property at it's current price.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ