How to drive showings? Increase traffic for an open house?

Asked by Ben627, Louisville, KY Wed Jul 17, 2013

Answers

11
The Hogue Gr…, Agent, Louisville, KY
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Have you ever heard of a seventh level open house. If not contact me and I can show you how to get 10 to 15 people to your open house every time.
Michael Thac…, Agent, Louisville, KY
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Loads of fantastic info and great suggestions here! I even picked up and was reminded of some things to ask my sellers to do as we prepare their homes for "open houses"!

Love the process of having an "open house" and yes I agree the seller has to be part of the process, making sure the home is ready to "go" on open house day!

Have a great day everyone!
Frances Flynn…, , State College, PA
Thu Jul 18, 2013
An Open House can be a great place to generate interest and attract new clients. Think of your Open House like a trade show ... pull out all the stops and make it AWESOME!

http://www.trulia.com/blog/frances_flynn_thorsen_srs_e-proa/…
Ben627, Home Owner, Louisville, KY
Thu Jul 18, 2013
I've been noticing our web traffic has increased immensely but the showings are still lagging so I wanted to see what I could do to assist in bringing others into the open house on Sunday.

How have you gotten the Internet "Lookers" to become "Buyers"?

Thanks!
, ,
Thu Jul 18, 2013
Many, many, many, MANY directional signs, starting about a mile or more from your house. If your subdivision has more than one entrance, signs at every entrance and EVER intersection aimed at your house. Hire someone to stand at the main entrance with a big directional open house sign and flag down passing cars.

Leave a trail of open house flyers everywhere you go for two weeks prior to it. Pennant lines from the upstairs windows or roof to the yard sign forming a big triangle with the house as the base. Put up a big sign in the yard that says “we love our neighbors, we just want to love them from a distance”
Put 50 plastic flamingos in the yard in a crowd formation like they are walking into the house.
Grill in the front yard, make it smoke, sign that says free hot dog after viewing home.

It’s a form of entertainment for many people so make it entertaining. Make sure you park a couple of cars out front of the house on the street, there is safety in numbers and will tend to make more people stop. Email all of your contacts and ask them to forward the announcement to all of their contacts. Good luck,

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
I answer questions about financing real estate based on my decades of experience dealing with mortgage underwriters. I do not offer legal or tax advice, if you need answers from an attorney or CPA find one knowledgeable in your local market.
Web Reference:  http://jamessimms.com/
, ,
Wed Jul 17, 2013
Maybe try putting the home on Craigslist. Worth a shot and it's free.
Millie Pence, Agent, Louisville, KY
Wed Jul 17, 2013
Open houses are a lot of work. I have not sold a home at a open house. It all comes down to location, condition of home and price to sell your home. Clean, clean clean...and NO pet smells. Try to get your agent to have an open house on the same day as another listing in your neighborhood. That will usually increase traffic. Let your neighbors know because they may know someone who would love to move into your neighborhood. Good luck.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Wed Jul 17, 2013
Get a really, really big sign.
Now a real estate professional would augment a big sign with:
1. Qualifiing the home for open house status. Some homes are poor candidates for an open house.
-
2. Determine PURPOSE of open house. (if you don't understand the real dimensions of this question you are doomed to the 1987 open house version.)
-
3. Align collabortive partners, affiliate partners, business partners who supplement open house purpose. Attended projection can be calculated as (((#CPcontact+#APcontact+BPcontact)*0.23) + opt-in from invite +( #community*0.01+AVRSoldMO))
Scale resources for this volume. Should the number be low, consider a very compressed open house time. IF the projection is only two people, you must get them their at the same time. IF the projection is only two people, you have bigger issues than timing. The 2013 Open House should project no less than 30 attendees in three hours.
-
4. Recruit staff (if you don't pay them....RECIPRICATE!!!!)
-
5. Assign tasks, promotions and capture to specific indivuals to promote purpose. IF there is a mortgage broker involved, make absolutely certain they understand they do not have a speaking role.
-
6.Obtain, create resources supporting the open house purpose. There should be no less than three passive touchpoints.
-
7. Choreograph touch point segues and exit discussion that elevate the purpose.
-
8. Promote via tradition venues. professional venues, verical markets and social media the PURPOSE! Take great care promotion is in sync with and promoting same purpose of collaborative and affilate partners. Disparate purpose such as "Save a Life" and "Ice Cream Social' will have corrosive effect.
-
9. Arrive early and establish security protocol, parking and access control.
-
10. This is a business, not a hobby. Press to accomplish open house purpose. Of course smiling and being welcoming is essential, but that is not the PURPOSE. Most folks will have more success at an open house by simply saying, "Are you here to buy a house or jerk my chain?" As course as this sounds, let there be no confusion regarding the purpose. (I don't advise the 'jerk' approach."). I do advise, "KNow your purpose" otherwise you are simply providing entertainment, and occaisionally an accident happens!
-
If none of this registers with you, then a really ,really big sign will work fine. Oh, don't forget to tie those little balloons to the sign.
-
Be aware, showing depends on the professional real estate community. Knowing what you want your open house to accomplish, synchronizing your team efforts, is the key to creating a traffic problem on that street.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Jul 17, 2013
Okay; Kudos!
Half of everything to storage
All personal items, like pix, gone.
No laundry
Neat as a pin.
No smells, except bread or cookies baking
nothing on counters
Dust and windows clean
lawn mowed
shrubs trimmed away from house
tub and showers Kaboomed (i like the stuff)
dish washer empty
no music
house empty, no greeters
Good luck and may God bless
Ben627, Home Owner, Louisville, KY
Wed Jul 17, 2013
No...I have one.

I was just wanting suggestions on how to assist if there was anything I could do myself in addition.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Jul 17, 2013
It sounds like you are trying to do this without a Realtor:

As Dr. Phil says; "let us know how it works for you."