How to attract people to an open house (Wauconda, IL)?

Asked by Owner, Wauconda, IL Fri Oct 3, 2008

Hi!

We are listing our 4bd/2.5 bath home through a local discount broker (they've listed us on the MLS, Realtor, local newspaper website - we are in charge of showing the house). Our MLS number in case your interested is - 07021260.

My question is - how can we attract more agents with buyers to our open house? Since we're using a discount broker, we don't have an agent calling other agents on our behalf to let them know about the open house. What more could we as the homeowners be doing to promote it?

We've got an open house scheduled for 10/12 - so I do have time to promote it.

Thanks for your help!

Answers

5
Laura Karamb…, Agent, Downers Grove, IL
Fri Oct 3, 2008
Even though your agent is a discount broker, they should be able to give you some suggestions on your Open House. They also should be able to add your home to the "open house" section of our MLS (I belong to the same one), Realtor.com and their own website which should help you out. Hopefully they have you listed on many other real estate websites as well...trulia, zillow, yahoo, etc.. You can promote your open house on craigslist and backpage. There is usually open house ads in the Northwest Herald for Wauconda. Drop flyers off at your neighbor's homes or homes in a lesser priced subdivision to target some move-up buyers. Stop at local real estate offices and drop off flyers there as well. You should also have enough signage off of main roads to direct the traffic to your open.

I hope this helps!
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Fri Oct 3, 2008
Owner,

Have you considered advertising in the newspaper or posting it on http://www.openhouse.com.
James Joseph, , 06281
Fri Oct 3, 2008
Dear Owner,
Do not become intimidated by any of these answers.
It amazes me how some Realtors are so clearvoyant that they can tell the true condition of a property without ever stepping foot inside. You would think they would beat down every door that they could find to see the available inventory.
Start by placing a small print add on the previous Friday in the local papers advertising your open house.
Call the papers and see if they have any lesser priced open house specials.
Many newspapers also offer free Internet ads so check around.
Do not be afraid to fax or email a flyer to all tha area R/E offices. Realtors love a free meal so offer some food if your open house is directed to agents.
Do not be discouraged if the turn out is light but remember your only looking for one buyer.
Make sure you include the phrase "broker protected" so that they will know you are offering a commission.

Feel free to check out some of my other advice directed towards helping Sellers successfully market their own property. It will be up in a couple of days. You can also read my articles at http://www.ezinearticles.com/?expert=James_Joseph

James Joseph
Mike Stodola, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Fri Oct 3, 2008
This may not be what you want ot hear, but it's probably not worth your time trying to promote your home to agents for an open house or otherwise. We all have access to any home listed in the MLS so agents will show your home if they have a buyer for it regardless of if you ever have an open house or not. Spend any efforts marketing to neighbors, co-workers and your personal friends by printing up postcard sized info cards with a few pictures of your place, open house dates and most importantly the number to call to see the home and ask your neighbors to help you by giving that to anyone they know looking for a home or on their bulletin board at work. Do the same with your friends and co-workers. If you'd like more info or ideas I'd be glad to send you our book "Sell Your Home For Top Dollar Fast In Any Market" as this has a bunch of other ideas. I want you to know though, I would be doing this to be helpful to you and in no way am I trying to solicit your listing from your current agent. If you find it helpful though, maybe you'd pass it along to someone else you know who may be selling in the future. Just let me know if you'd like this book. Good luck!

Mike Stodola
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Fri Oct 3, 2008
First thing i can tell you is you get what you pay for. For a little more you can get a full service broker who can assist you through each step of the selling process. It is always stated that a full service broker will get the best obtainable price in the quickes amount of time. Therefore the higher price they can get pays for tthe little extra you will pay. There is more than just listing a home in mls for you and holding an open house. unless you are a builder with alot to offer, not many houses are sold at open house. most buyers prefer to make an appointment where they will not be bothered by other people or the seller. Buyers feel intimidated if you are showing your house, they can not speak freely, they will not open closets and can not take the time to place their furniture or be able to talk openly about the changes they will make for fear of upsetting you. then there is the disclosures, both state and federal, inspections, negotiations and closing. i would think again about trying to save money where you could save time and make more in the long run with a full service agent.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com