How much time should I give myself to sell my townhouse?

Asked by Thomas Park, Newtown, PA Wed Oct 3, 2007

My wife and I want to upgrade our housing situation. Currently, we want to sell our townhouse in Newtown and move to NJ in a single house. How much time should I give myself to sell my townhouse?

Answers

14
Ann McGuire, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Tue Mar 12, 2013
I highly recommend you put your home up now. There's a shortage in market inventory as of right now since we're in between seasons and you definitely want to catch the early buyers! There are more buyers than sellers and properties are having multiple bids!

Ann Mc Guire
Weichert Realtor
B. Sci. Marketing
215.622.5070
info@RealtorMcGuire.com
http://www.RealtorMcGuire.com
Rob, Agent, Morrisville, PA
Sun Jan 13, 2013
Hello Thomas,

I am a local investor in the Bucks County Area. I may be interested in purchasing your house directly. If you are interested, please email the property information at solveyourreproblems@gmail.com.

Rob
Andy Raffle, , Yardley, PA
Thu Oct 9, 2008
Mr. Park, you've been given some good answers here but, I'd like to give you something to consider that might surprise you. 207 homes have sold in Newtown Township through August 31st of this year, this includes Condos, Townhomes and Singles. Of those, 98, or 47%, have sold in 30 days or less and 142, or 69%, have sold in 60 days or less.

I will not speak with you about other markets or generalities but, i will say that, in Newtown, you need to approach your home sale as a sprint. In my most recent newsletter I wrote an article entitles "Sell Your Home Quickly, (or not at all)" because this is what the current market is looking like in this area.

Prepare your home to sell.
Price your home to sell.
Market your home agressively and get it sold.

Homes that sit are being written off by the market. Homes that are prepared and priced well are selling.

If I can help, give me a ring.

Andy Raffle
Coldwell Banker Hearthside, Realtors
215.493.9080
Web Reference:  http://www.AskAndyRaffle.com
Gita Bantwal, Agent, Jamison, PA
Thu Oct 9, 2008
Mr Park, You have received excellent information from others. Why don't you interview 2 agents , see what the average days on market in in your developmement and ask for how you can coordinate the two moves. You have many options and you need to talk to an agent. You want to make sure you have a contingency on the contract for the home you want to buy, so that if the deal for your townhouse falls through , you do not have to buy it. I work in Council Rock and Central Bucks areas. Feel free to call me. 215-343-8200x124 .or home 215-343-1122.I can refer you to an experienced agent in NJ.
Web Reference:  http://www.gitabantwal.com
John Burns, Agent, Souderton, PA
Wed Sep 17, 2008
after you interview some experianced full time realtors in you area and you decide on one you trust do what they tell you and you will be fine. properties in good repair and priced right are selling in most of bucks and montgomery counties...also if you are buying in new jersy you may want a realtor who is licensed in both states and can help coordinate both sides better. If you would like a referal contact me at john@jbrealtyservice.com
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Sep 17, 2008
Thomas,

In the current market it's all about pricing....keeping in mind that today's buyers are looking for deals.

The key to selling is paying attention to what the market is telling us about the price of homes that are selling. Get the sold comps for your area and price it right. Not at the top, or middle, the bottom, it should sell. If you don't price it right, you'll end up chasing the market and losing money along the way....unless we are at the bottom.

Joan Bomba, , 17601
Mon Mar 17, 2008
If priced right and listed soon the Spring market brings the highest prices and fastest sales. Good properties are selling regardless of what the TV reports keep professing. The key is condition, your willingness and ability to get the property in saleable condition and the market exposure from yout listing agent
Cheryl R. Su…, , Schwenksville, PA
Fri Mar 7, 2008
Minimum 3 months. However if priced right you can sell in a few weeks.
John Burns, Agent, Souderton, PA
Wed Mar 5, 2008
How many townhomes are in your development ? How many are listed for sale now ? Where do you want to price your home for sale ? What time of the year are you planing to make your move ? How accessable is your property going to be to realtors and prospective buyers ? Does your property need to be freshened-up ? Are you in a new developement and are you going to be competing with new construction in your area ? These are just a few Questions I can think of. The answer is "as long as it takes".
Web Reference:  http://jbrealtyservice.com
Ardell Della…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Tue Mar 4, 2008
I used to live in Newtown Borough and just happened by. I was thinking it would be nice if people came back and reported on how they did after asking the question.
Bob MacHarrie, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Wed Jan 16, 2008
Tom,

The average time on market since October 2007 is 52 Days for hmoes selling between $200-$500K. The price you market your home at will have a big effect on how long it is on the market.

Hope this helps
Edmund Choi, Agent, Paoli, PA
Wed Oct 3, 2007
With the prime marketing season having expired, days on market have increased to about 2 months, based on statistics available to 9/30/07, before the property goes under contract. Factors that will affect your time on market will be price, condition and interest rate environment. Your agent should be able to provide you guidance on these factors. Good luck!
Web Reference:  http://MainLineandBeyond.com
J Lo, Home Buyer, California Glory, Brentwood, CA
Wed Oct 3, 2007
Hey Thomas!
Your agent should be able to tell you exact statistics regarding the "absorption" rate for your particular neighborhood. We are blessed to be able to glean this information (if you know where to look) from several different sources.

I suggest you ask your agent directly - you'd be surprised at all the statistics at your fingertips. You just have to know what to ask for:

Days on Market, Current Inventory & turnover in your price range, total number of homes currently for sale in your price range, etc.

I do hope you have an agent representing you. These numbers are not random. They can answer so many questions and in this market - knowledge is power!
Perry Hender…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Oct 3, 2007
There are no rules in the market. If you are the type that likes a plan, then plan around having it rented within a certain amount of time. It's better to ride out the "bad mortgage market" with a rent coming in.