How much money in fixing up before selling?

Asked by Carol, Sat Aug 31, 2013

I have a small full basement ranch in W. Peabody. It could use some fixing. How much should I put in to it before I put it on the market, or should I lower the price and not do anything?

Answers

8
Stephen Dall…, Agent, Wakefield, MA
Mon Nov 11, 2013
I would find out the worth of your home updated then see what it would cost and see your profit.
example that would work $200,000 worth today updated worth $275,000 cost of update $50,000 profit after update $25,000 Ok I know some people do not have $50,000 to update that is what makes the 203K Mortgage so great! We have a team that will visit your home and tell you exactly what the cost is and the financing as low as 3.5% then we will have an approved contractor do all the work as we manage the project for you. I hope this helps.
Anthony Piem…, Agent, Boston, MA
Sun Nov 10, 2013
One of the things you can control when listing the home is condition. It would depend on what kind of fix ups you are talking about. Would a coat of paint through out the home help it sell? Some new appliances in the kitchen, hows the front door looking? Have a good talk with your listing agent if you have one.
Stephen Dall…, Agent, Wakefield, MA
Sat Nov 9, 2013
I would explore your 203K options you could fix up your home and sell it for a profit.
Robin O'Donn…, Agent, Beverly, MA
Sat Aug 31, 2013
This is definitely part of the process you would work through when you've chosen a Realtor. It would be a good idea to have the current market value of your home as it is now and then you could discuss options in making improvements if necessary. I agree that you would first want to take care of the little things throughout the house...repairs, touch up painting...etc.
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Sat Aug 31, 2013
I agree with Richard, the realtors you interview should give you some suggestions. Sharon is also correct in that if you find it offensive so will the buyer, unless the price reflects the improvements needed.

A pristine house sells quicker and for more money.
Sharon Lucido, Agent, Sagamore Beach, MA
Sat Aug 31, 2013
I always tell my sellers to walk around the property inside and out with a 'buyers' eye. If you have been living in your home for several years, you would tend to overlook some details that buyers see right away. Start with the small things such as missing trim, small holes, stained carpet, odors. Make sure your windows are clean and your light bulbs all work.

I also like Richard's answer; Call a Realtor, get their opinion and list with them.
Jeanna Alimo…, Agent, Lynn, MA
Sat Aug 31, 2013
It truly varies depending on all the unique fractures about the property as to where you should put money in to sell. I would have to view the property and have all of the property details to give an educated answer. I am local, live in Peabody myself actually. Contact me anytime!
Richard Shap…, , Framingham, MA
Sat Aug 31, 2013
Good questions that should be discussed when you interview some Realtors.