How much does major foundation repairs completed (lifetime transferable warranty) depreciate a home for sale in The Highlands in Sugar Land, Tx?

Asked by Miscstuff, Houston, TX Tue Nov 1, 2011

A total of approx. 30 piers were installed during a 10 yr. period and underground tunneling was performed to repair damaged plumbing in kitchen & baths (2 yr. plumbing warranty remaining). The home was built in 1982 and is approx 1500 sq. ft. When the home was purchased, it required approx 18 piers, some were questionable, so they were not installed. until the foundation shifted later; also requiring, another 8 piers. Sheetrock repairs were completed 2 x's to repair ceiling. The exterior walls & roof do not appear damaged. The only visual defect is in the concrete in the garage, on the porch and under the flooring were piers were installed.

Answers

6
cathlieny, Home Buyer, East Bayside - India Street, Portland, ME
Tue Feb 3, 2015
You make make major changes in foundation repairs, many people remodeling his house in best option to sell the property in time you good to prefer house remodeling in the your house. http://levelprofoundationrepair.com
Mike Harness, Agent, Stafford, VA
Thu Sep 27, 2012
The dominant soil type in this area is a clay / gumbo mixture so ground preparation, type of slab, and foundation framing are all important in determining the life of the foundation. Basically, there are two kinds of houses - those that have had foundation work and those that will someday in the future. The Highlands is a centrally located and desirable neighborhood in Sugar Land and unless the repairs have left a seriously flawed cosmetic aspect to the house, the value should not go down much at all.
Don Turner,…, , Sugar Land, TX
Tue Jun 5, 2012
In this part of the world foundation repairs are not un common, so if the hosue has had repairs done and comes with a warranty, then no big deal, owever you should always have the property inspected before buying a home and the inspector should have the proper tools to check the foundation.
Judy Kay, Agent, Sugar Land, TX
Tue Jun 5, 2012
I know this is late but still important. If you have a transferable warranty from a reputable company the buyer is very forgiving about foundation damage as buyers know that Texas soil conditions and older homes are prone to this. Make sure you repair all cosmetic issues and disclose, disclose, disclose! Good luck
Don Turner,…, , Sugar Land, TX
Tue Nov 1, 2011
When listing a home that has had foundation repairs and done right with no signs of any more issues with the work that has been done, does not impact the value that I think the house should sell for. Thousands of homes each year have foundation repairs done in this area of the country because of the the type soil we have in the area. As long as the work was done right and proper maintance is preformed after the work is completed the home should preform as intended.
Azeem Karmal…, Agent, Sugar Land, TX
Tue Nov 1, 2011
Dear Seller:

I must say your question is one of the important questions any seller might have when considering putting their house in the market or even valuing their property value when it comes to appraising it for refinancing or pulling out equity. Foundation work can be very tricky and scares lots of buyers if you ask me.

To be honest, I reprsent both buyers and sellers and when I am representing buyers I will give them heads up for foundation work done to this property. The reason I do that is because in inspection report the inspector fills 3-4 pages work done and reapairs needed pertaining to foundation. Eventhough the foundation work comes with life time, 30 year, 20 year warranty for some reason the buyers still gets panic and like to run away from the property.

In a situation when I am representing sellers with this problem I try not to reduce the price of the property as it gives a ripple effect if any buyer is interested to purchase this property. When the time comes and the buyer feels hesitated you may then turn around and reduce the price to compensate for their feeling. But if you discount your property from the beginning then when the time comes for a buyer interested in your property you might have to again reduce the price just to say "fine here you go have my property".

Bottom line: yes it does effect your property if it has foundation problem but you must not reduce the price now but later when the time comes. By the way there are many properties even 3-5 years old which has foundation problem so that doens't mean they sell for less.

Hope this helps.

Azeem Karmally
REALTOR, SFR, GRI, SFR
832-651-6829
azeem.karmally@gmail.com
Wow! I came here for information and am shocked. I thought foundation repair would increase the value of the home. Why in the world would it decrease it?
Flag Mon Sep 9, 2013